my jeep maintanence schedule - look ok? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my jeep maintanence schedule - look ok?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-05-2002, 06:00 PM   #1
Joker2002

my jeep maintanence schedule - look ok?

I am very interested in keeping the next Jeep I own (hopefully another YJ) for a long time, if not for the rest of my Jeeping life. By using a mixture of my Chilton's manual, friends' suggestions, and my own common sense, I have come up with the following. Does it look adequate enough to keep a Jeep going for a while?

ENGINE OIL/FILTER - every 3000 miles
BALL JOINTS (GREASE) - 6000 miles
REAR GEAR OIL - 9000 miles
FRONT GEAR OIL - 15000 miles
TRANSMISSION OIL - 30000 miles
T-CASE OIL - 30000 miles

As far as types of oil, most are obvious and I think just about any will do. I do have questions about tranny and t-case oil, though. I've heard that regular SAE 75W-90 GL-5 gear oil will work in the tranny, and Dextron II or III ATF in the t-case. Does this sound good?

Also, is there any type of regular schedule you should keep as far as changing spark plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, brake pads and/or shoes, brake rotors, coolant, etc.? Or is it mainly just wait until something goes wrong and deal with it then? Thanks. Feedback wanted!

Unread 02-05-2002, 06:13 PM   #2
Bob K

Consumer Report did an extensive test of motor oils. They ran a few dozen taxi cabs in NYC with different brands of oil. Some they changed the oil every 3k, some they changed every 6k. After 120k miles they tore down the engines and mic'd them for wear. The 3k engines and the 6k engines showed no significant differences in wear! And all the name brand oils were very good. My favorite, Castrol GTX, was among the top 5. I change my oil and filter every 5k miles.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2002, 03:57 PM   #3
4wheel4fun

Your overall maintenance really depends on how much off-road wheeling you do and the type of wheeling is critical. Out here in Ca, we do a lot of rock crawling. We might only travel 8 miles, however, those 8 miles might take us all day (very hard on the jeep). I am more aggressive with my maint during the summer months and back off during the winter. And because my jeep is not my primary drive, I cut my maint miles down. I also agree with Bob K on the oil issue, although I change it more during the summer. I talked with Joe from Hesco(they put together the fuel injection systems for Jeeps). From their testing, they also recommend Castrol GTX.
4wheel4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2002, 07:06 PM   #4
Joker2002

Thanks for the input guys. Also, I know it's a shame, but for the most part this will be a daily driver and will see only occasional off-road use. Essentially the maintenance schedule should look the same for just an average 4WD vehicle you'd take to work and back, around town, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.