My Jeep doesn't like 02 sensors... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Jeep doesn't like 02 sensors...

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep doesn't like 02 sensors...

I recently have been having trouble with my Jeep stalling out when the engine got warmed up.

Que89yj told me to unplug the 02 sensor and see if the problem persisted. That seemed to fix the problem, it idled for 20-30 minutes.

Got a new 02 sensor today put it in and it idled for 20-30 minutes without issue, then I took it out for a drive and it stalled out after a few miles. I unplugged the 02 sensor and drove around some more and it ran GREAT!

Why does my Jeep run better with no 02 sensor than with a brand new one?

Is it a bad idea to run it without the 02 sensor hooked up? Will it cause issues in the future? I live in FL so state testing is not an issue.

FYI I disconnected my EGR and plugged the holes, not sure if that is causing any of my issues...

Unread 09-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if it is different because you have a 89 and my 93, but I had this exact same problem. I would drive after a bit and the engine would buck and sound like it would back fire when I put my foot on the accelerator after installing a new o2 sensor (my old one's wires were cut, so basically drove with no sensor for about a year.) Well my problem was that that the harness's connecter to the sensor, which has 3 wires I believe, one of which was chewed/cut. Here's a picture:

I just cleaned the wires from the rubber insulator and sautered them back together. It drove fine after that. I would would look to see if your wires are all in good shape. It's an O2 sensor problem because the only variable you changed is the sensor.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.