my jeep build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my jeep build

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #31
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #32
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

well i didnt get the motor cleaned yet, but i did get my frame rolling again !!! im very happy with the lift, i was happy with the height before, but the rear springs were broke so i just went with the 3.5.i cleaned and painted the axles(i think they look good) i got the gas tank installed and the lines and whatnot. replaced the rear ebrake cables. i found out that im gonna need bigger shackles for the bds springs, the military wrap doesnt leave much room(kinda knew that already) but it should be alright for now. i think i might be getting a little carried away with this thing, after all its just supposed to be a winter beater oh well it'll be nice.

i put the other steering box in because my old one had a stripped bolt hole. i cleaned this one and painted it up.

front axle

rear axle

gas tank and lines

the parts jeep frame is under there, ready for that mess to get hauled away

bodywork all done on tub

ive gotta take some stuff apart on the motor like the intake and exhaust manifold(its got a crack in it i gotta weld up) i can clean everything up a and paint it easier too. and i have to pop the tranny off so i can put my new clutch in.

thats all for now, i'll have another update at the end of next week. ITS GETTING COLD i gotta hurry up and get this thing done. i cant wait to have heat!
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #33
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i didnt get nearly as much done as i'd hoped to this week. i did pull the intake and exhaust manifold off as well as a few other things. i popped the tranny off to put the clutch from the old motor in, (almost new centerforce clutch i got with the tranny when i did the ax15 swap) and found out that i really didnt need to because the clutch that was in it looks brand new, oh well i guess i have a spare lol. i welded up the crack in the manifold and painted it up. i painted the intake, and tonight i finished up cleaning the motor and painted it up. i have to take the valve cover off anyway so i didnt bother cleaning and painting it yet, while its off i might just dust it in the sand blast cabinet. all the wires and dodads made painting the block a real pain, and thinking about it now your never even gonna see most of it.

Unread 10-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #34
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 11-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #35
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

sprayed the hi build primer on the tub. it doesnt really look like im gonna be able to paint it till spring, but thats not gonna stop me from driving it this winter.
i put the motor in last weekend(outside in a snowstorm ) i painted the valve cover. now im really at the point where i need to start ordering parts again. I think im going to get the daystar 1 inch body lift kit, i need new bushings anyway so figured why not lol. i need to get extended brake lines, shocks, and u-joints. Does anyone have any suggestions for shocks? what are the cheapest decent shocks? Tomorrow im gonna paint the firewall, and as soon as i get the chassis all set(at least from the firewall back) i can bolt the tub back on the frame. i dont mind waiting till spring to paint it, but im not pulling the whole thing apart again! anyway here is some pictures

Primer!

Chassis

and i'll build my exhaust tomorrow too, it was non existent on the 95 and the the 88 had a few holes, so i found some stuff around the shop.
Unread 11-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #36
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #37
szbaren3411
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would agree with your earlier statement of having a cool boss. Must be sweet to have access to all the equipment and materials required. Very impressiv!
szbaren3411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #38
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

last weekend i painted the firewall, but this weekend ive got to repaint it. i sprayed the base then realized i didnt have enough clear . i got some parts, i installed the extended brake lines. I still need to finish the exhaust and do the transfer case drop. also found out i got the wrong axle shims, i got 2.5 degree shims for some reason and i think i need 8 degree. ive got alot going on right now, between the jeep and trying to fix my grandma's mobile home. 2 BIG projects that cost me alot of money, to add to that i just blew the rearend in my El Camino(daily driver). everything has gone wrong this past week, but hopefully at the end of the weekend the tub will be on the frame( i got the prothane 1in. body lift)
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #39
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I done it! I got the the the tub on the frame. I repainted the firewall yesterday and made my transfer case drop with some 1in square tubing. I finished up the exhaust today. I got scared a few times trying to put the tub on myself, when you've got a big ole hunk of steel, that weighs god knows how much swinging around 10 feet up in the air its a lil nerve racking. but I got it on there and got all the bolts started. BTW I highly recommend the prothane 1 inch body lift, its complete and the instructions tell you what you need to know. now I cant wait to put the 33s back on. its almost looking like I'll have this thing on the road before I can fix my car. just a few more things

firewall

it looks funny right now

this week after work im gonna try to get all the wiring set, the rollbar in, inside herculined, and at least the grille on. hopefully next weekend it'll be running.
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #40
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Good job

Glad to see you taking the time to do all the detail work. Pride of ownership goes a long way.

What about entering the YJ of the Month ??

When you do the wiring don`t forget to add a few extra grounds for the headlights, dash, engine harness and such. If you want PM me and I`ll shoot my phone number to you.
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #41
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks!! I was actually just thinking about entering for yj of the month, but I'd really like it to be a little further along than this, maybe after i get the front sheetmetal back on it, we'll see. all the wiring should be straight forward, all i have to do is plug in what i disconnected and make sure its routed properly. i havent changed anything, everything is 1995 except the frame, windsheild frame, top, doors, and fenders.
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #42
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Oh hell, you got a good build thread going. Swap the 33`s on and take a few pictures. Then send in some info to Nick.
Unread 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #43
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I got it running today!!!! I painted the grille black because i dont have enough green and I dont want to buy any right now. I think the black grille will look good with the green, if not i'll sand it and paint it green in the spring. everything is hooked up and working. it runs hot though like 260 degrees hot, i guess I'll throw a new t-stat in and see what happens. Its weird though because it climbs to 260 and stays there, doesnt get any hotter. If only i had the right degree shims in the rear i'd be able to drive it lol. hopefully by the end of next weekend it'll be on the road. I'll get some pics to put up here tomorrow
Unread 11-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #44
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yj2008 View Post
I got it running today!!!! I painted the grille black because i dont have enough green and I dont want to buy any right now. I think the black grille will look good with the green, if not i'll sand it and paint it green in the spring. everything is hooked up and working. it runs hot though like 260 degrees hot, i guess I'll throw a new t-stat in and see what happens. Its weird though because it climbs to 260 and stays there, doesnt get any hotter. If only i had the right degree shims in the rear i'd be able to drive it lol. hopefully by the end of next weekend it'll be on the road. I'll get some pics to put up here tomorrow
Don`t go throwing parts at it just yet.

What are you basing your temp. on ? I am sure you know how inaccurate the factory gauge is if it is not working correctly.
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #45
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

I have been following your build.Really like the engine color.Looking forward to seeing it done.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.