my jeep build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my jeep build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

its coming along great! hopefully ill see you driving it around soon, im not too far from your area either

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #17
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered my springs today, 3.5 in BDS. for $450 they better be the best damn springs out there lol. i should have them by next Wednesday. probably not going to install them right away, ive got a lot of other stuff to do first. i lost my shop space at work for a week or so, and i ran out of mig wire for the welder and we're almost out of sheilding gas lol i guess im done with the tub for now. started cleaning the new engine the other night but got tired of getting eaten by mosquitoes so i gave up. if the rain holds out this weekend im hoping i can drag the parts chassis up on the cement pad and pull the motor and axles and cut up the frame. it'd be SOOO much nicer to clean the engine inside the shop.
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:14 AM   #18
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

so i worked on it from 9am to 9 pm yesterday. got the roll bars removed from both jeeps, most people upgrade to the family style bars i guess im downgrading lol. i like the older style. i also got the windsheild frames off, my buddy took his hardtop and windsheild frame. i removed the tranny for him so he can pick it up on monday. i took everything i might need off the old tub, today im gonna double check the braces on the bottom to see if i need to cut any off the old one for the new one, then im gonna cut the tub up, yay i can get rid of something
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #19
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yj2008 View Post
so i worked on it from 9am to 9 pm yesterday. got the roll bars removed from both jeeps, most people upgrade to the family style bars i guess im downgrading lol. i like the older style.
I did exactly same, downgrade ftw! Subscribed to see how smoothened tailgate comes up
rulppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #20
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like progress! We like the sports bar too but upgraded for the kids safety.

from my iPod cause I can
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #21
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i havent gotten alot done in the past two weeks.the mustang that was in the way took a little longer to get done because the other guy i work with decided to have a heart attack 2 weeks ago.but since friday night i feel i have done alot!! i finally have a spot inside to work again (for now) the floor is fixed on both sides, i repaired all the body mounts underneath, i got rid of the other body and the 4.2 and the axles. i picked up my new springs, I ordered them without bushings and then found out bds springs require special bushings so im still waiting on the correct ones. all the welding is done on the bottom of the tub and i brushed some paint under there, and now im ready to start bodywork YAY!!!

Floors

fixing front body mounts

i cut the braces off the other body

started painting underneath

then i had to jack up the back and fix the rear body mounts

then i got bored and started stripping lol

tomorrow i'll sandblast the welds and start muddin er up.
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #22
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

What is this stuff you use to get paint off like this? Seems pretty effective.. nice job, keep it going!
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulppa View Post
What is this stuff you use to get paint off like this?Seems pretty effective.. nice job, keep it going!
its paint stripper, any autobody supply store would have it, or an advance auto parts store. the stuff im using is real cheap stuff, usaually it doesnt work worth a crap on stuff with multiple layers(several repaints) but luckily this jeep has the original extremely thin factory paint and it basically just fell off. for thicker paint i'd recomend this stuff http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/klea...3-p-12815.aspx , its expensive though.
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:58 AM   #24
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good. Nice to see you bringing one back from the clutches of rust. Not to mention you are doing nice work.
Would like to follow along.

My 14 yo daughter will be starting Drivers Training before to long. She wants a YJ for when she gets her license. Gonna bet we will have to do a lot of the same work living in Michigan..
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #25
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
My 14 yo daughter will be starting Drivers Training before to long. She wants a YJ for when she gets her license. Gonna bet we will have to do a lot of the same work living in Michigan..
YJs are great because they are still really simple. i had planned to sell mine when im done, but decided I'll probably keep it forever because there is nothing that can go wrong with it that i cant fix(sometimes with the help of jeep forum) once the holes are patched, as long as you rust proof it, it should last a long time.
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #26
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

And thanks for the compliments!!
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #27
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yj2008 View Post
YJs are great because they are still really simple. i had planned to sell mine when im done, but decided I'll probably keep it forever because there is nothing that can go wrong with it that i cant fix(sometimes with the help of jeep forum) once the holes are patched, as long as you rust proof it, it should last a long time.
It's looking good! I agree with the above, the yj has proven to be extremely simple to work on, even more so than I though it would be. (Just keep a good supply of PB on hand.) I wouldn't be suprised if my daughter thats about to turn 11 wants a jeep when she starts driving. lol. That gives us 5 years to get this one done, buy & build one for me, then get one ready for her.
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #28
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

With 3 daughters in the house. This 14 yo thinks it would be cool to do a father daughter rebuild.

Got here looking over this thread so she gets a handle on what to expect.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #29
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I didnt have to work today so i messed around with the heep a little bit. im kinda disappointed though i didnt get as much done as i should have, i guess im just tired lol. i stripped the whole passenger side and the cowl. i sandblasted the welds and started spreadin mud. i got the rear tail panel done, the right rear corner, and the cowl done and ready for high build primer.

the rear corners were pretty rough. after the bodywork was i sprayed a sealer over it because it might need to live out side for a couple nights this week.

the cowl was pretty good, just a couple dings. i used ppg DP90 epoxy primer thinned out a bit to seal it up.

by the end of the week the tub should be done. i dont have enough money for the hi build primer just yet so that might have to wait till sometime next week, unless i just steal some from work

Unread 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #30
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I finished the bodywork on the tub last week. i pushed the other frame up on the cement pad and pulled the motor, gas tank and lines. im gonna clean and paint the engine tomorrow night, this weekend i'll pull the axles and clean and paint them. then i can build my chassis.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.