my jeep build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my jeep build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

my jeep build

ok here's the story, in january i bought a 88 yj for $1200 from upstate NY, i drove the thing about 80 miles home to New Milford CT. it had the 4.2/POS Ba10 combo. i soon did the nutter bypass. i still could not drive this thing for a full week without problems. i believe it was a carb issue, but the wiring and smog system were hacked beyond reasonable repair also. in the begining of febuary the skid plate just about fell off on my way to work, the plate rotted around the mounting holes, and the transmission dropped about 8 inches( really funny thinking about it now but wasnt real fun at the time) so i stopped and tied the transmission up with a tow stap. after repairing the skid plate i tried to leave for work the next morning and CRUNCH there goes my tranny, i lost reverse. i pulled the drain plug and what im guessing is what was my reverse gear was stuck to it so i bought a AX15 and swapped it in. then i drove it a few weeks and was getting tired of fiddling with the carb every three days so i parked it. i figured i'd clean up the engine, wiring, throw a weber and a hei on there, maybe paint the thing up pretty and sell it. well the jeep thing got the best of me and a buddy of mine sold me his COMPLETE, RUNNING 95 yj for $250 it has a strong running 4.0 in it and an unmolested wiring harness. its got some body rot and the frame is shot. the initial idea was to just do a motor swap. well now my jeep is all torn apart, the tub is off the frame, ive decided not to use my tub. both tubs have same amount of rot but parts jeep has a nice dash and all the wiring intact. now i found out that my rear leaf springs are shot, the front eyelits are broke causing the rearend to shift forward and back which explains why the tires were rubbing the front of the flares. so yeah ive got myself into a big ole project here, im gonna stop boreing everyone with my blabbing now.

transmission drain plug

i rebuilt the shock mounts so they wont rot again, they originally had big pockets that would collect water, mud, rust, etc.

88yj2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
jlegan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

nice jeep i have the same model and my frame looks like yours in the last pic. Are you grinding the top coat of rust off then applying new coating? And what type of coating are you using
jlegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, got as much of the rust off as i could and then brushed on some SEM brand stuff. ive used it before and it seems to last, if i need to brush some more on in a few years i will. the frame is all done, now im working on the body so hopefully i can paint the body before snowfall.
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like a lot if fun ahead of you.
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

PARTS JEEP

4.0 POWER

Much nicer dash and seats
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I found some old pics of when i first got my HEEP

These were taken on the journey home from New York

thats my brothers ZJ

AFTER I PUT THE 33s ON

AND THIS IS WHEN THE SKID PLATE ROTTED
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i was busy after work last week, my boss is really cool and let me roll the body into the shop. i only got a few pictures, but hopefully tomorrow i'll post some more. i heard its gonna rain all this week and there aint a open spot in the shop so i dont know if i'll get much done this week, i did have an idea though. Im thinking about smoothing out the tailgate(making it flat and getting rid of the spare tire holes and whatnot) and painting something cool on it. i dont really plan on having a back seat so i was thinking of mounting a spare tire between the rear bars where the seat would be(I plan on using the older style rollbar). that way i can have my cool artwork on the 'gate seen and i dont need an expensive swing out bumper. PLEASE let me hear OPINIONS, COMMENTS, or CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM on this

I filled the sidestep holes

AND DONT MIND THE GREEN PAINT ON MY PATCHES, ITS JUST TO KEEP IT FROM RUSTING UNTIL I CAN SANDBLAST THE WELDS

^also had to fix the brace underneath

JUST PATCHED THIS SIDE SAT. NIGHT, AND MY WELDING HELMET STOPPED WORKING AND GOT SERIOUS FLASHBURN, PROBABLY THE WORST IVE EVER GOTTEN IT. THE SNAP-ON GUY IS GONNA GET AN EARFULL ON FRIDAY

^ALSO DONE SAT.

NEXT UP IS FLOOR PANS AND REAR CORNERS, THEN I'LL BE JUST ABOUT SET

OH AND THIS IS WHAT I THOUGHT FOR THE TAILGATE

OF COURSE INSTEAD OF THE FORD BLUE OVAL IT'LL BE JEEP
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ive been workin on it a liitle bit everyday, after work im tired but still manage to put in a few hours. Nobody gave any input on the tailgate idea so i just went ahead and did it, the holes are all welded up and i smoothed out the ribs. now im working on the rear corners, so i cut the good corners off my original jeep tub(it hurt me to cut my jeep up, it was really the first vehicle ive bought that wasnt from someone in my family, and it was the most i spent on a vehicle) anyway i cut the rotted corners off the tub im using and found that i have a lot of work to do before i can put the good corners on. the rear body mounts are non-existent and the other tub isnt much better. As of now ive got the left rear set and ready for the corner to be welded on(maybe tommorow night) and the right side i still need to repair the body mount area, but the corner peice is trimmed and ready to be welded after i finish underneath. I only took a few pics the other night so im not really up to date with them.

Tailgate

Left Rear corner, i just kinda screwed the new corner on there to mark out where to cut it

Unread 09-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
RedneckJacob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just from personal experience i wouldnt mount yourmlicense plate their. Cuts off almost half your airflow to your radiator and the fan has to work much harder to coolmthings down. Oh and sweet deal on the flippin running 4.0!
RedneckJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckJacob View Post
Just from personal experience i wouldnt mount yourmlicense plate their. Cuts off almost half your airflow to your radiator and the fan has to work much harder to coolmthings down. Oh and sweet deal on the flippin running 4.0!
yeah im not gonna put the plate back up there, it was fine for the winter when i drove it, but im gonna put it on my bumper when i build one. besides i wouldnt want to have it rubbing on my nice paint ive got planned for it
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

both corners are done, haven't gotten pics yet. tonight i cut out the good pass. side floor pan from the old jeep. tommarow i'll weld it in. hopefully the guy is gonna pick up his hardtop and windsheild frame this weekend. i've gotta flip the tub up so i can finish the bottom, then i can start bodywork. its starting to get cold, hopefully i can get this thing painted by the end of october. next thursday im gonna order my 3.5 in BDS springs through EVB. SO MUCH WORK TO DO!!!
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

You are coming along nicely . I redid my wife's 90 yj and did as much as you are doing to yours.Stick with it and don't rush it. You are done when it's done.The body work will not let you cheat .Beer and cigars got me thru alot of my build.
Good Luck!
im002032.jpg  
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thanks, your jeep looks great. im not trying to rush my build, i just really need my jeep back before snowfall. my my car has no heat and sucks in the snow im really enjoying this project, there really isnt much to a jeep. after working on customers cars all day-everyday its nice to work on my own junk. i dont have super high expectations for it either, its just gonna be a nice DD(with custom paint, 33s, and 4.5in lift) i love working on my jeep its basically all flat surfaces, cant wait to start bodywork
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

I didn't realize you were in CT. I'm only over here in R.I.So we share the same weather.
The Green Goblin Was the same color as the yours with the same holes rust and dents. If you were closer ,Iwould come give you a hand love working on Jeeps myself.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like the smoothed tailgate idea. We bought a spare tailgate at the junkyard and are deciding what we want to do with it..
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.