My (inevitable) D35 replacement - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My (inevitable) D35 replacement

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #31
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And ummm, i dont know if its the picture or not and i hate to be a nazi about it but i would reconsider those welds on those perches
I noticed that as well, looks like a lot of splatter with no penetration. I hope you feel comfortable with the additional passes, but this is certainly one place you don't want a weld failure!

Good job on the puller, a nice bit of ingenuity you used there. I'm jealous of the rear locker, I'd like to add a selectable to the 8.8 to run with the Spartan I picked up for my D30. As far as the plug welds go, every 8.8 I've done had the same plug welds. The first one I converted I simply welded the pumpkin to the tubes with solid .045 MIG wire on a Lincoln Power MIG 255, and never noticed any cracking. However, the one I am doing now, I will be using a nickle rod out of my DC stick machine and will be doing pre/post heat. The thing to remember, you don't need a full circumference of weld bead to keep the tubes from spinning, especially using a 4.3L V6. You can get by with a few short beads, which should control some of the heat, and will be more than enough to hold.

jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #32
legato
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
If I were an ARB in a Dana 35, I would kill myself too.
i think i found my signature.
legato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #33
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got the axle under the Jeep yesterday. I just need to get a u-joint to adapt the drive shaft to the flange on the 8.8 and a couple quarts of oil. Should be good to go.
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you are still looking for one... I got mine from Denny's Driveshafts...

Part number F1310L

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #35
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzke21 View Post
If you are still looking for one... I got mine from Denny's Driveshafts...

Part number F1310L
Thank you. I have seen a couple of places online - was hoping to score one locally but I don't see where local parts stores are stocking them.

I may just pick up a different flange that accepts the 1310 joint so I don't have a problem replacing u-joints in the future.
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #36
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was just sitting on my chair and decided to come back to the Forum to talk a bit to you. I am in no way being critical and would be remiss if I just remained silent. Your welds are not solid as a couple others tried to tell you. You do not have good penetration.

Take a heavy hammer and strike your parts a few solid blows you will see your parts break away from your welds. This is how I was taught to check welds. I am in no way a good welder but I do know not good welds when I see it. Grind away your welds and take your rear end to a welding shop, they should weld it for no more than $45.00. You did the hard part tacking it in.

If I am wrong and your welds hold I will feel comfortable knowing that your rig is safe. Truthfully I do not see one penetration weld from what I see in the pictures, you will have problems. A couple of penetration points that you saw as you stated does not make a good solid weld.

I in no way mean to be harsh. I am only thinking about you and your safety. I have seen rear ends fly out and it is not pretty. The torque stops there.

Look at this build near the bottom of the page. That is what your welds should look like. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...95/index4.html

This will not get you home: http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/dat...629_142608.jpg
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.