My (inevitable) D35 replacement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My (inevitable) D35 replacement

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 06-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #16
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got some more time to work on this today. I got the old spring perches cut off and ground the tubes smooth and clean to weld the new perches and shock mounts. Slid the axle under the jeep and mocked everything up. Tacked the spring perches in place. That was it for this evening.

axleclean.jpg   axletack2.jpg   axletack1.jpg  
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
If I were an ARB in a Dana 35, I would kill myself too.
LOL! Well said Anti!

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good job Rick. I hope the switch over to the 8.8 goes well. I look forward to seeing more photos as the work progresses along.

I'm still going strong with the stock 4 angry squirrels, whimpy tranny, and D35.
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looking great!
I still can't believe that I didn't blow up my d35 before I did my 8.8 swap. I got that thing hopping good on 35s and it just took it like a champ!

Word of advise- Depending on what shock mounts you went with, when you mock it up make sure your shocks have enough travel left in them! I raised my shock mounts a bit with the RuffStuff mounts and ended up loosing 100% of my shock uptravel. :
I had to order new shock mounts and a Teraflex shock bar to fix the problem. In my defense, my daughter broke her arm the day I did my swap and my head wasn't in the game, so, just pay attention

Cheers!
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #20
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that advice Sparrows. I had noticed that it could be a problem. My shocks are for 4" of lift and I think my 4" RC springs have sagged a bit so I am not so sure that I had a lot of up travel left with the old set up but it is definitely figuring in to my plans for the location of the new mounts. I am using the ones that came in the 8.8 swap kit from East Coast Gear Supply. I will end up fabbing up some custom bump stops to prevent bottoming out the shocks or the tires from contacting the top of the wheel wells.
swapkit.jpg  
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So today I pulled the mocked up axle back out from under the jeep and welded up the spring perches, shock mounts, and bump stops. While I was at it I tacked the axle tubes to the center section as well. Then I mocked up the brake lines. I decided to keep the Jeep center hose set up since I had an extra length stainless braided hose installed previously. The vent nipple from the Dana axle fit right into the Ford. I needed to ditch the "Y" line on the left side so I picked up another right side soft line and a couple of steel lines everything went together pretty easy. I welded some tabs to the bump stops to mount the soft lines. After that I removed the brakes again and cleaned everything (about an hour with the wire wheel on my angle grinder) and laid down a coat of primer. That was it for today.

'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Propane tanks for use as a welding table.......... awesome
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, at least they were empty.......
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #24
Hard_oNe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work on documenting your progress. I have the 8.8 but need to source the parts before I tear into it.

What brand gears and size? Do you have a 4 or 6 squrriels?

Keep updating. I subscribed.
Hard_oNe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_oNe View Post
What brand gears and size? Do you have a 4 or 6 squrriels?
I have a 4.3L Chevy Vortec motor and 4L60E auto tranny with a hybrid Chevy S10/Jeep NP231 transfer case. Tom Woods CV rear drive shaft. 4.56 gears.
So far I purchased:

Ford 8.8 rear with Solid rear cover, brakes, ebrake cables - Craigslist $300

8.8 install kit (spring perches, shock mounts, u-bolts, etc.
freeze plug to eliminate ABS sensor
8.8 disc pads
8.8 ebrake shoes
8.8 ebrake hardware kit - East Coast Gear $210
(w/10% Pirate discount)

4.56 ring and pinion set
Master install kit
outer axle bearings/seals - Engine Rebuilders Whse $219

ARB locker for 8.8 - Parts Mike $878
(includes shipping)

Misc. Brake lines/hardware - local Advance Auto $30

Joy of doing it yourself - priceless

BTW, I briefly considered letting East Coast Gear do all the work and ship me a complete bolt in axle but it would have cost about $2500 delivered. So far I am still about $900 ahead.
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #26
Hard_oNe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Amen, my brother. I could pay someone to do it but doing the job yourself is the priceless pleasure and satisfaction.

Plus, its an excuse to buy more tools.

Carry on.
Hard_oNe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty *****in deal on the d35+arb+4.56 combo. Getting 5 yrs out of that is a pretty sweet deal imo. Wont have to worry too much about the 8.8.
Btw, dont forget to weld the tubes to the housing (cast steel). And ummm, i dont know if its the picture or not and i hate to be a nazi about it but i would reconsider those welds on those perches. Maybe grind those down and give it another go. I dont think that ur welder is set up correctly for the job. Not trying be an ***, im just lookin out for you.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratostix View Post
Pretty *****in deal on the d35+arb+4.56 combo. Getting 5 yrs out of that is a pretty sweet deal imo. Wont have to worry too much about the 8.8.
Btw, dont forget to weld the tubes to the housing (cast steel). And ummm, i dont know if its the picture or not and i hate to be a nazi about it but i would reconsider those welds on those perches. Maybe grind those down and give it another go. I dont think that ur welder is set up correctly for the job. Not trying be an ***, im just lookin out for you.
No worries, I am happy to take advice. When you look straight on all you see are the blobs where I tacked the corners - at night, laying on my back under the Jeep. Had a tough time getting a good strike. As far as the set up once I got the axle back out from under the Jeep.....along the sides I ran 1/8" 6011 at 120 amps, DC, electrode negative and two passes. Although not as smooth as I wish I could do it I believe they got good penetration. I don't think my welder puts out what the dial says but there was no undercutting and I observed good heating of the parts. As for the tubes, I did short passes (about an inch) at four points around each tube at the center section. Hit them immediately with the chipping hammer using quick blows as they cooled to relieve stress. Would appreciate anyone's comments about the technique.
I am curious if anyone can answer a question from their 8.8 experience. I thought I had read that the tubes were pressed in but on my axle there appear to be several plug welds on each side where the housing was drilled and back filled. You can see them in the primer picture above. Is that normal?
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #29
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu1021 View Post
No worries, I am happy to take advice. When you look straight on all you see are the blobs where I tacked the corners - at night, laying on my back under the Jeep. Had a tough time getting a good strike. As far as the set up once I got the axle back out from under the Jeep.....along the sides I ran 6110 at 120 amps, DC, electrode negative and two passes. Although not as smooth as I wish I could do it I believe they got good penetration. I don't think my welder puts out what the dial says but there was no undercutting and I observed good heating of the parts. As for the tubes, I did short passes (about an inch) at four points around each tube at the center section. Hit them immediately with the chipping hammer using quick blows as they cooled to relieve stress. Would appreciate anyone's comments about the technique.
I am curious if anyone can answer a question from their 8.8 experience. I thought I had read that the tubes were pressed in but on my axle there appear to be several plug welds on each side where the housing was drilled and back filled. You can see them in the primer picture above. Is that normal?
my 8.8 was the same. Plug welds in the housing. As for technique, i personally Pre-heated/Post-heated for the cast steel. Turned out just fine. Anyways, as long as it holds, its all that counts.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #30
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Today I finally got to do some more of the work on the 8.8. Removed the old axle bearings and seals. Swapped out the pinion races. Set up the pinion for the correct height - it was the same height as the one I removed so set it up with the same thickness shim set, installed and pre-loaded it. Set up the ARB with the new ring gear and bearings. Drilled the housing for the air line. Installed the ARB, pre-loaded using the stock shims that I removed but had to add a bit on the ring side of the diff to and set the backlash. Not a bad afternoon's work........

Improvised bearing puller.....
20130706_161026.jpg   20130706_182109.jpg   20130706_213509.jpg  
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.