My heater blower puts out more air when not running, here's why - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My heater blower puts out more air when not running, here's why

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 04-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #91
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You dont have to get a new cable. They are difficult to come by. I put 2 little cuts on each side using a dremel where it is clippedthem to the controller and wraped a tie wrap around it. I will have to put up pics when I can. It is real easy to do.

Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #92
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You dont have to get a new cable. They are difficult to come by. I put 2 little cuts on each side using a dremel where it is clippedthem to the controller and wraped a tie wrap around it. I will have to put up pics when I can. It is real easy to do.
so its still broke tho....

so if ya break it to make it not broke a new cable would be needed....

wreckers would have them, every YJ I saw still had the cables, fishingthem out might be a *****, but thinking of going and trying jsut for spares... I jsut spuer glued the botom of it on as long as its in there it cant really get out even broke...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #93
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK since this thread got revived I have one question to ask that has not been covered.
This is the picture of the Vacuum motor that controls the air flow from outside:

Is this in the Open or closed position?

Does anyone have a picture of (or know) which way is actually open or closed? (What does the flapper door look like?)

I always feel cold (outside air) coming into the Jeep even when everything is "off", I did have the heater assembly apart a while ago and I may have the vacuum lines switched. But it would be nice to be able to see the inside of this part of the vent. Thanks, Jim
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #94
Fireguy211
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims-87YJ
OK since this thread got revived I have one question to ask that has not been covered.
This is the picture of the Vacuum motor that controls the air flow from outside:

Is this in the Open or closed position?

Does anyone have a picture of (or know) which way is actually open or closed? (What does the flapper door look like?)

I always feel cold (outside air) coming into the Jeep even when everything is "off", I did have the heater assembly apart a while ago and I may have the vacuum lines switched. But it would be nice to be able to see the inside of this part of the vent. Thanks, Jim
The flapper you are talking about seeing is under the cowl vent which is located just behind the hood hinges. Mine Is Crome. Take the screws out and remove the screen, that vac motor you are looking at controls the flap on the passenger Side.
Fireguy211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #95
SpikesHD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread.

My blower has always sounded fine, but the Jeep NEVER warms up. After checking the things in this thread, I found out someone had knocked the black vacuum line under the dash loose and plugged it back into the last hole that should be empty. After switching them around I'm getting lotsa lotsa heat!!!

Thanks!
Unread 02-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #96
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

to revive this excellent thread, i will add/clarify a thing or two...

the passengers side flapper, the one that is controlled by vacuum, is NORMALLY OPEN...this means that when the jeep is off, the flapper / door is open and fresh air goes into the jeep... (like we need fresh air)...

when the control is switched off, and the motor is running, vacuum is present, the door is closed...meaning the plunger on that vacuum switch with the green and black wire, is now allowing a vacuum tobe passed to the vacuum motor that controls the flapper door, so it will now 'close'.

when you slide the switch to def/heat you are allowing the plunger to spring back to normal position, and then close the vacuum and the flapper now opens allowing fresh air to blow by the heater core... and with the fan blow thru the vent...

if you reverse the plug on the plastic 'plunger' type switch, you are in effect reversing the operation of the vacuum controlled door... and it will operate in reverse...

sometimes it might help and sometimes it wont, depending on what function,

keep in mind that newer a/c controls usually include some type of 'fresh' or 'recirc' air flow...

the jeep is the same... when the flapper door is open that is fresh air, and when it is closed it is recirculated air...

also, the passenger side interior vent door is cable controlled...but there is an 'adjustment' process.. when installing new cables etc or replacing parts or components .... try to adjust the door, manually, so that it will 'just open' to the point where it starts to spring forward... (towards the front of the jeep)... basically, if you were to go from full closed to full open, you would feel some 'resistance' then it will want to spring on it's own... just before that point, is the 'sweet spot'... if you go too far, the cable wont be able to bring it back to closed...

be happy with full closed to '3/4' open...

i had to 'replace' my control unit because i was told by a mechanic that there was a broken plastic part...

after I bought a replacement, (used) from eBay, I pulled the old one out and saw that it is the nylon washer/stud thing that clips the end of the cable to the slide mechanism... you can see them on the above pictures..

I ended up breaking the new one that I bought in the same place... because the white cable was out of adjustment... there is a screw adjustment that lengthens and shortens the 'housing' of the cable, and basically makes the inside wire cable longer or shorter, or rather it allows the slide mechanism 'def/heater/vent' control slider to move from full off to vent...

if the cable is out of adjustment, you wont be able to slide the def/heat/vent control all the way, and or break that nylon 'stud' piece.

I ended up drilling out the center of the nylon stud and inserting a #6x1" machine screw. it threaded onto the nylon and I put some heat shrink tube onto the end to create a better fit for the cable end
vent-control-modification-top.jpg   vent-control-modification-bottom.jpg  
bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #97
chorwedel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

vacuum actuator faulty?

My passenger side cowl vent gate stays open all the time. The vacuum supply line (green) provides vacuum to the actuator Ok, but the actuator doesn't close. I removed it and put it to my mouth to create the vacuum myself. I can get it to close with my mouth, but it's not easy. I can create much more vacuum with my mouth than what is provided by the green supply line. I'm thinking the actuator may be bad? I don't know how much vacuum is needed for it to close.

Can anyone concur that my diagnosis is valid?

I thought I'd just buy one of these and try the new one, but I can't find the part anywhere. Is this a dealer-only part?

Many thanks!

I moved this over to this thread since it's more specific:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...-open-3374186/

Last edited by chorwedel; 08-25-2015 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: moved to more specific thread
chorwedel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #98
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If the side vent is opened too far it becomes really hard to operate it. It needs to be between closed and half way open.. it is an intake vent and doesn't need to be wide open.

I would also suggest lubricating the cables as best you can with a spray on lithium grease.

Check for leeks by presdure zing the lines and use your ears or a small flame near all joints ams connections.

Good luck
bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #99
chorwedel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

there are no cables to lubricate since the end of the actuator connects directly to the cowl vent. I've eliminated all variables by removing the actuator entirely and supplying vacuum with my mouth. It takes a lot of vacuum to get it to close.

anyone have experience with actuator going bad? similar symptoms? where to get new one?

Last edited by chorwedel; 08-25-2015 at 07:40 AM..
Unread 08-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #100
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pull out the actuator and see if it's the door or the actuator. Cfoffroad.com will have one.
Unread 08-31-2015, 04:36 PM   #101
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pull out the actuator and see if it's the door or the actuator. Cfoffroad.com will have one.
Does it feel like you've been in this thread for five years, Que? I bet it feels like only yesterday...

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
Unread 08-31-2015, 05:09 PM   #102
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lol. I didn't realize!
Unread 09-01-2015, 06:10 AM   #103
chorwedel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I moved this over to here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...-open-3374186/

I guess you missed the part where I "...eliminated all variables and removed the actuator..." I will, however, checkout the website you mentioned for other things I may need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.