My heater blower puts out more air when not running, here's why - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My heater blower puts out more air when not running, here's why

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 07-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #61
Kool2BSquare
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice job! Wish i would've read this before I 'trail fixed' mine.
One of the doors was rusty so it broke the little plastic doo-hickeys (that's a technical term) and I have it set to blow a lil heat and a lil defrost all the time...but I bet my pass side door isn't opening...I'll look in the AM if wifey lets me play Jeep

Kool2BSquare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #62
lollygagger8
1996 XJ Cherokee 

This is an AWESOME thread!!! I have the same problem with the cold air coming down by my legs. I can't seem to track it down how it's getting into the cab. I'll look more into to it this weekend.

What if my blower is running nonstop (at all times no matter what the setting) ???

There was a 4.0L installed before I bought it, and I hope Mr. Handy didn't screw up the wiring!
Does anybody know what I should look for?
Unread 01-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #63
rockcrawlingyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna flog this dead horse..........

What happens if all the cables, vac lines, vent doors all operate as they should and you STILL have cold air coming in? Is it possible that the drivers side vent door is opening when I'm rolling down the road? That's where the air is coming from. In my driveway tests it is closed when it should be.
rockcrawlingyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #64
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

is it coming out of the vents? if not it could just be a gap in the soft top near where the door closes. Does cold air blow in even if the heat is turned off? If not and it's only cold when the blower is blowing then you might need a new water pump or maybe just a new fan belt becuase it could just not have the coolant moving, but you would already have an over heating issues i would think if that was the case.

As with my jeep i get cold air blowing in at idle with the heat on but once it reaches 1500 rpm i get heat, i'm hoping its not the water pump and maybe just the belt.
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #65
rockcrawlingyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the vent....I can reach up under the dash when I 'm driving and it feels like that's def where it's coming from. Definately not a heater issue, it roasts me out when I'm sitting still and no outside air is coming in.
rockcrawlingyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #66
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

mine started doing the same thing when i did what this thread said and turned the way the vacume valve was pointing. I didnt bother me because it would just leave the heat on low all the time. As for the fix i would say it probably is one of the air intake vents staying open all the time. Try puting a fan over the cowl and see if you can feel the air comming through the vents.
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #67
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My heater blows air that's just slightly warmer than the air outside and doesn't "roast" me out at all

I have no idea what could be wrong with it, I've checked almost everything.

As for the air vent being open, it is and it won't close all the way. I can't figure out how to tighten the wire either for the life of me. I guess I'll just duct tape it up during winter and re-open it in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #68
FishrOfGrizz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any suggestions for this situation? My heater has always worked well - until last week. It seems that my heater would not shut off no matter what position I had the controls in. At one point I thought I had at least figured out how to get it to cooperate - not that it was working as it should but at least stopping the heat. Then yesterday I was cruising along and I thought my feet were on fire. I noticed that my heater decided to starting blowing again, no matter what I tried. Finally as I continued down the road it shut off and stayed off for the remainder of my trip. Does this sound like a vacuum hose problem or something else you guys can suggest?

Thanks
FishrOfGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #69
andyjensen91
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok... my heat has never "roasted" me out of anything.. it really isn't that cold but my girlfriend always put a blanket on her lap everytime she's in it. day or night in the winter.. we even have a designated jeep blanket just for her... all my flaps work. had a bad heater core a few weeks ago and replaced it and took the time to check all flapper doors and cable operations.. all my vac lines are solid and have been checked... and my heat is still horrid.. it has decent air flow but never gets above just warm air..

my temp gauge is always steady at about 200 to 210 so you think my little YJ would have plenty of hot air..

any idea..

maybe Chrysler just dropped the ball on it..
andyjensen91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #70
H_Swank
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I cant see anyone's pics?

So what would happen is no vacuum were connected at all? Cause now that I think about it, I didnt connect my vacuum line to the heater, and havent had a problem. It stays some what nice and warm.

"Never trade the thrills of living, for the security of existence" Live and love as if its your last day!!

Life is no fun unless, you take the path with the most resistance. -ME-
H_Swank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #71
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got the hoses reversed on your heater core? It's been known to happen.

One Jeep is Never Enough
copleydad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #72
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is the blend door moving the full range of motion?

Blend door in full COLD position.

Blend door in full HOT position.

Here's a blend door pic I stole from another thread!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/heater-core-219329/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #73
bigjoe27
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Always blows heat out of floor vents.

I have an 87 wrangler that since I have owned has always blown hot air at your feet, Its not bad for the winter but is a real inconvenience on hot summer days any suggestions what would be causeing this?
bigjoe27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #74
Airedale
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax79 View Post
After reading this I was curious if mine was correct or not. I don't know if the guy on the assembly line didn't care which way he installed the vacuum valves or what, but mine was aparently backwards too. Switching this around did seem to help the amount of heat in the vehice. Pics follow. I also took a clearer pic of the hook-up of the vacuum lines to the heater.

New guy here-I have a 95 YJ.
My heater works great but after reading this thread, I had to check my vacuum lines.
My valve was backwards like the first pic. The black line in the green/black setup was unhooked and the block they plug into was lying loose under the dash.

I swapped everything around per instructions but nothing has changed. My two under cowl ducts are open and the inside passenger vent doesn't operate.

Is that block the green/black lines run into supposed to be attached to something? I pushed the plunger on it but nothing changed.
Thanks,
Dave
Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #75
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
New guy here-I have a 95 YJ.
My heater works great but after reading this thread, I had to check my vacuum lines.
My valve was backwards like the first pic. The black line in the green/black setup was unhooked and the block they plug into was lying loose under the dash.

I swapped everything around per instructions but nothing has changed. My two under cowl ducts are open and the inside passenger vent doesn't operate.

Is that block the green/black lines run into supposed to be attached to something? I pushed the plunger on it but nothing changed.
Thanks,
Dave
Same here. My heat/defrost/vent has always worked perfectly, and I noticed today looking under the dash that the black vacuum hose from the engine is just hanging there. I can tell the black hose comes directly from the manifold as a vacuum source, but where does the green one go?

ETA: Upon further inspection, it seems that the engine vac (black line) only closes the cowl vent (Green line) with the engine running and vacuum applied. My heater works fine with the vacuum hooked up or
disconnected. If you turn on the heater with it setup correctly, and manually actuate the vacuum switch, it closes the cowl vent.

Also the one way vacuum valve in the engine bay should be oriented white side up. It is clearly marked vac. on the black side and it has 2 different sized fittings to prevent it being installed backwards. I removed mine and tested it by applying vacuum on both ends (The good 'ol fashion way, my mouth). It only allows vacuum from the white side to the black side.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.

Last edited by UltimatE; 05-07-2010 at 12:28 PM..
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.