My heater blower puts out more air when not running, here's why - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My heater blower puts out more air when not running, here's why

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 01-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #46
Nitrox73
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Submitted Mr. B, thanks I never thought about putting it there.

Unread 01-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #47
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i never saw the pics, no red X, no url, nothing.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #48
workn4livn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I still see them fine.
I vote yes for sticky
workn4livn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #49
Nitrox73
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Think I've fixed the links. Can anybody see them now?
Unread 01-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #50
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, thanks. Once again awesome write up. This has been added to the heater FAQ as well.

Thanks!
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #51
madmax79
I'm Old Gregg!

1988 YJ Wrangler 

After reading this I was curious if mine was correct or not. I don't know if the guy on the assembly line didn't care which way he installed the vacuum valves or what, but mine was aparently backwards too. Switching this around did seem to help the amount of heat in the vehice. Pics follow. I also took a clearer pic of the hook-up of the vacuum lines to the heater.

Early YJ Club, Member #1, Check out our group: Early YJ Club

Quote:
Epic adventures usually start with something like: "I was looking at a topo map..."
www.matanzasjeepclub.com
madmax79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #52
nic99007
2000 XJ Cherokee 

great write up, I vote STICKY
nic99007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #53
Amadameus
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony673
OMG, I think I have the same problem. I guess I know where I'm spending my day off tomorrow.....under the dash of the YJ!!

I've had a draft that just won't quit ever since I replaced the body tub. I've tried everything!; duct tape, masking tape, electrical tape, spray in foam insulation, cloth-you name it. Still, my legs feel a breeze.

Maybe I messed up the tubing placement on that vacuum thingy you speak of.
I can sympathize - my Jeep had, for some reason, a draft coming in around my ankles all winter. The heat comes in strong, so I really didn't have much to complain about - however my passengers were feeling the worst of it.
Turns out there was a nice big vent on the right side under the dash, around ankle height, that seemed to go straight to the outside air.

I could see no reason for there to be a passive cold-air vent in an already chilly vehicle (I say 'passive' because there appeared to be no motors or airflow when idling, the air was forced in at highway speeds) and so I taped it up with some good ol' Duct Tape and paid close attention to the Jeep for a few weeks afterward. I noticed no change, so I guess there was a useless air vent just... chilling out...

I do not profess to be a car-guy, I'm seriously 85% retarded when it comes to vehicles. However, the thing appeared to be useless and served no purpose that was missed once I taped it up. And the Jeep is several times warmer!
Unread 02-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #54
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you referring to the outside air vent? Maybe the cable came loose and it was stuck open?
Unread 02-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #55
Redskybri
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_1994 View Post
My heat allways roasts me out. If you want me to take a pic of mine I can.

Doug
Mine roasts me to. I have to open the draft window even when I turn the fan down.
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #56
dlnagold
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So, I have read through this post, can anyone explain to me this: I have the a/c in my 95. When I have the heat on, it only comes through the defrost and the floor vent, none of the settings enable the heat to come out of the vents under the radio, that is where the a/c comes out when turned on....is there a way to get the heat to come out of those vents? I regularlly drive with the doors off; however, lately I have been freezing my bottom off....
dlnagold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #57
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you could try and route the ducting into the a/c vents, but i dont think it would work to well. a lot of space to move air through.
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #58
johny1i

dlnagold -
Someone jump in if I'm wrong, but your AC system is a packaged unit under there that is totally independent of the heater/defroster system in terms of both controls and ducting. In other words, you could run your heater and AC at the same time. I've heard that the AC systems were dealer-installed options--whether that's true or not I don't know, but it is definitely stand-alone. Nothing wrong with your system based on what you described.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #59
papa_panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax79 View Post
After reading this I was curious if mine was correct or not. I don't know if the guy on the assembly line didn't care which way he installed the vacuum valves or what, but mine was aparently backwards too. Switching this around did seem to help the amount of heat in the vehice. Pics follow. I also took a clearer pic of the hook-up of the vacuum lines to the heater.

I just checked under my hood, and it's like the first picture, but when I disconnected it to flip around the black tapered side is clearly marked V A C... the stem on the blonde end is also much thinner, so I'm going to say it is already on correctly and it's not meant to be flipped around, and if it worked better for you after you ran it backwards, it's probably defective. I looked under my dash and the vacuum lines are where they're supposed to be. I guess my heater core is clogged after all.

Marine Corps Jeep Club Member #7

White Jeep Club Member #350
papa_panda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #60
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i flipped mine around, it does not make the air any hotter, if anything is is colder, but it puts more air out, which helps it get around the cab more. So when it really cold out, its still going to be rather cold in the cab.
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.