JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   My heater blower puts out more air when not running, here's why (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-heater-blower-puts-out-more-air-when-not-running-heres-why-499877/)

Nitrox73 12-26-2007 07:04 PM

My heater blower puts out more air when not running, here's why
 
I've read about guys with jeeps that bake them out after a couple minutes and was jealous because mine didn't. My heater blower wasn't putting out any air hardly at all while the YJ was running. However, if I just put the key in and turned it without starting it, it blows very hard.

I used the search feature and couldn't find anything that covered this.

After checking voltages and other things, I pulled my hood vent cover off. It was spotless and had zero debris inside. I noticed that the vent intake door was open. When I started the jeep up it closed with the heater control on defrost/heat/vent. When I shut it off the door re-opened. Both intake vent doors are controlled by the vacuum switch attached to the heater controls. It has three ports and two vacuum tubes connected to it.

It turns out my tubes had been plugged into the wrong ports! So when the jeep was off the intake doors were open and when running the vacuum closed the doors so no air was coming in from the hood vent.

As the proud owner of jeep that no longer requires a hooded sweatswirt to stay warm in, I hope this post might help somebody else out.

ctm 12-27-2007 05:11 PM

Could you please post a picture or a diagram as to which tubes go to which port. All I know is that one is for the vacuum source on the intake manifold, one goes to the door, and the 3rd one is for A/C? Does that mean when you have A/C hooked up it is the one that _closes_ the door to recycle cool air?
Anyway, it would be cool to document this. It is not documented in the FSM or anywhere else as far as I can tell.

V8Wrangler 01-02-2008 08:09 PM

Yea someone how are these supposed to be hosed? Help a brother out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitrox73
I've read about guys with jeeps that bake them out after a couple minutes and was jealous because mine didn't. My heater blower wasn't putting out any air hardly at all while the YJ was running. However, if I just put the key in and turned it without starting it, it blows very hard.

I used the search feature and couldn't find anything that covered this.

After checking voltages and other things, I pulled my hood vent cover off. It was spotless and had zero debris inside. I noticed that the vent intake door was open. When I started the jeep up it closed with the heater control on defrost/heat/vent. When I shut it off the door re-opened. Both intake vent doors are controlled by the vacuum switch attached to the heater controls. It has three ports and two vacuum tubes connected to it.

It turns out my tubes had been plugged into the wrong ports! So when the jeep was off the intake doors were open and when running the vacuum closed the doors so no air was coming in from the hood vent.

As the proud owner of jeep that no longer requires a hooded sweatswirt to stay warm in, I hope this post might help somebody else out.


jcourt667 01-02-2008 09:56 PM

Man, you mean I've been freezing my arse off all those years for nothing...:brickwall

tony673 01-03-2008 10:24 AM

OMG, I think I have the same problem. I guess I know where I'm spending my day off tomorrow.....under the dash of the YJ!!

I've had a draft that just won't quit ever since I replaced the body tub. I've tried everything!; duct tape, masking tape, electrical tape, spray in foam insulation, cloth-you name it. Still, my legs feel a breeze.

Maybe I messed up the tubing placement on that vacuum thingy you speak of.

rhdeese 01-03-2008 03:40 PM

This may work for me.....I'll try.

Richmond88yj 01-03-2008 05:45 PM

Oh man, 10* here this morning, post a pic or a diagram!

Shenandoah 01-03-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctm
Could you please post a picture or a diagram as to which tubes go to which port. All I know is that one is for the vacuum source on the intake manifold, one goes to the door, and the 3rd one is for A/C? Does that mean when you have A/C hooked up it is the one that _closes_ the door to recycle cool air?
Anyway, it would be cool to document this. It is not documented in the FSM or anywhere else as far as I can tell.

I agree, it would be helpful.:D

jeepthg 01-04-2008 08:04 AM

X7

Bump to the top

.... any ideas from anyone else where to find this???

schizm99 01-04-2008 10:33 AM

Huh
 
Was this a teaser thread or what?:confused:

doug_1994 01-04-2008 02:09 PM

My heat allways roasts me out. If you want me to take a pic of mine I can.

Doug

Shenandoah 01-04-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug_1994
My heat allways roasts me out. If you want me to take a pic of mine I can.

Doug

I would like to see how it is attached. Mine have been disconnected amny time by accident and I have gone through the attach and check procedure. But no manual (to my knowledge) shows the correct attachments.

Please post a pict, Doug.

doug_1994 01-04-2008 05:34 PM

Sorry guys, I went out to take a pic, but I got AC, and the air plenum is in the way. I tried to put my digi camera up behind it, but it wouldn't take.

Doug

Shenandoah 01-04-2008 07:17 PM

Doug:

Could you give us a diagram of the connections? It may help.

doug_1994 01-04-2008 08:23 PM

I can't even get my camera in there, let alone my fat head!

But if I ever take apart my dash, I'll take a pic.

Doug


The time now is 06:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.