My fuel gauge is possessed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My fuel gauge is possessed

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
CplTony
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My fuel gauge is possessed

Good morning

91 YJ 4.0 automatic that has started to act up.
Upon pulling away from the house and work after the Jeep has been sat the fuel gauge likes to spike sputtering the engine but then corrects itself.
This only seemed to happen after the Jeep had been sat overnight or during the day. she's kept in a garage overnight but out in the open during the day.

A few times it's done this and refused to allow the Jeep to start and yesterday for the first time it did it mid-commute forcing me to pull over and get her towed.

However once I pulled the Jeep off the tow truck into the Pepboys parking lot she started up no problem and the gauge was reporting fine.

I get a call from the shop yesterday after they'd had her there all day that they cannot find any problems and she starts every time.

After asking around last night I called the shop this morning to ask if they'd checked the ground wire on the fuel tank. The response I got sounded like they'd done nothing since she'd started every time and I had to ask them to check it.

Has anyone come across this before?
The fuel gauge has been jumping around more then usual (not been as steady) so my first thought was the gauge was going out, but now I'm not so sure and I've read here and elsewhere the ground line can cause gauge issues as well.

Oh and for giggles here is the Jeep:

jeepsm.jpg  
CplTony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's possible that your fuel sending unit needs some attention, check out this post on how to get it cleaned up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...gauge-1521098/

If it's not the sending unit then you might be on the right track with checking all of the connections to the sending unit and fuel pump.
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you see the guage bounce and you have a stall then it is 100% the fuel pump ground and is a know issuie with a recall. It is the wire. It attaches to the parking brake bracket.(Black with a white trace if I remember right). I would cut it in the rear by the tank and run it right up to the frame rail with a good screw.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
CplTony
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
If you see the guage bounce and you have a stall then it is 100% the fuel pump ground and is a know issuie with a recall. It is the wire. It attaches to the parking brake bracket.(Black with a white trace if I remember right). I would cut it in the rear by the tank and run it right up to the frame rail with a good screw.
A recall you say?
So drive over to the dealership and get them to fix it for free?
Even on a 91?

The gauge doesn't 'bounce' it just doesn't seem as steady as before (it could just be me though, I'm paranoid like that) but it certainly does jump and then either reset and you're good or it stays there until....well something happens to cause it to reset.

I'll call the dealership and see what they have to say.

--edit--
No open recalls according to the dealership
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...ecall-1051289/

Look for the ground. It is a simple fix yourself.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
CplTony
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Jeez I hope it's not something that simple....actually yeah I do.

Best best would be to get to the shop, they say they found nothing wrong and I find the ground wire lose and they only charge me for the tow.
Oh the joys of learning what makes these Jeeps tick....or not in this case.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Like I said just do the ground in the rear by the tank to the frame rail. I work in engineering at Chrysler and the wiring is always....interesting.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^One of the best persons on here to get advice from. Trust me on this one.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
CplTony
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all

Shop just called and said the wire had a good ground but he went ahead and repositioned it anyway (I'll get the location from him), so...what else could it be?
I don't want to get stranded again but of course there is no other way to check it other than driving it.

The crank sensor was worn and I was having some shifting issues sometimes so at least I got that issue before it became a bigger one.

I'm a paranoid person.
If I don't think the Jeep is fixed then I'm not comfortable driving it and thus now I'm going to be thinking about it until it either happens again and confirms my fears or I forget about (which lord knows how long that will take)

AHHHHHH!!!
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If that guage bounces and the Jeep stalls at the same time it is either that ground or the connector on the top of the tank. Drive it after he has "repositioned" it and see what happens. If not then you are lookind at cutting the access panel in the rear and seeing what is going on at the pump.
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
CplTony
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you

Cutting...don't like the sound of that but needs must and I think I'd rather cut than drop the tank.
We'll see how it goes

Thanks all
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Fayers24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplTony
Good morning

91 YJ 4.0 automatic that has started to act up.
Upon pulling away from the house and work after the Jeep has been sat the fuel gauge likes to spike sputtering the engine but then corrects itself.
This only seemed to happen after the Jeep had been sat overnight or during the day. she's kept in a garage overnight but out in the open during the day.

A few times it's done this and refused to allow the Jeep to start and yesterday for the first time it did it mid-commute forcing me to pull over and get her towed.

However once I pulled the Jeep off the tow truck into the Pepboys parking lot she started up no problem and the gauge was reporting fine.

I get a call from the shop yesterday after they'd had her there all day that they cannot find any problems and she starts every time.

After asking around last night I called the shop this morning to ask if they'd checked the ground wire on the fuel tank. The response I got sounded like they'd done nothing since she'd started every time and I had to ask them to check it.

Has anyone come across this before?
The fuel gauge has been jumping around more then usual (not been as steady) so my first thought was the gauge was going out, but now I'm not so sure and I've read here and elsewhere the ground line can cause gauge issues as well.

Oh and for giggles here is the Jeep:
I ****ing love that Jurassic park theme
Fayers24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

if i have the funds to afford another jeep sometime in my life.
Im making one of those.
it looks soo cool
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
CplTony
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just 'HAD' to post this after the issues with the shop.

So I got the Jeep towed to the shop Tuesday and paid for what I was told was 'full diagnostics' so they could find the issue.
3 days and different information from different people I'm told that the 'full diagnostics' only covers the engine; even though I brought it in for a fuel issue and that they dropped the tank and moved the ground for the fuel pump and found no issues.
Crank sensor was found to be 'going out' so I authorized that repair (but now question that).

$360 paid I pick it up and drive it home uncomfortable in the knowledge they could not find a reason for it dying the way it did.
Enter my friend Steven who upon hearing my plight offered to take a look.

After going through the wiring diagram he found the fuse box under the hood was cracked and engine muck was getting in and the first relay it was hitting: the fuel pump relay. $360 and they didn't bother to check that?
It gets better.
He slides under the back and finds the ground for the fuel pump (attached directly to the frame in an easily accessible location) has not even been touched and is corroded to the point it's not getting a good connection. We test it and low and behold the fuel guage jumps around as he taps it to the frame.
Oh it gets better!!
The tank (which I asked the mechanic to his face if it was dropped and the fuel pump connections checked) was not even touched either. Bolts still showed a nice coating of muck and rust etc on them.

So $360 and I get a) lies, b) crappy service and c) paying for a repair they found that was nothing to do with the original problem.
I've already contacted corporate HQ for PepBoys to give them hell on this.

On the bright side, driving into work this morning the gauge is stable and no jumping or stalling.
Payment to Steven, a knuckle bump!!

Thanks all for the input here!!
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I told you it was that fuel pump ground! $360 to replace a crank sensor! Yipes. Never take it to them again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.