My front shackle inverted while offroading - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My front shackle inverted while offroading

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
But LOL at the "knows a lot about leaf suspension" and "double shackle" in the same sentence
This isnt a new technique. They do shackles at both ends and links. The spring at that point is only supplying elevation and the links do the locating of the axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I don't know why you would want to modify your frame mounts. It'll then be screwed up for any off the shelf springs. Your problem is with those mystery springs. I suggest you leave the frame alone and pick up some quality springs from a respected manufacturer. In fact, I insist you do that!
He has off-the-self springs. Every lift kit spring, particularly in the 4" range, is too short. Have yet to see one fit a YJ properly and they all suffer from the vertical shackle syndrome.

Unread 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #17
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
This isnt a new technique. They do shackles at both ends and links. The spring at that point is only supplying elevation and the links do the locating of the axle.
I got the imression he was talking about this setup

Unread 03-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
He has off-the-self springs. Every lift kit spring, particularly in the 4" range, is too short. Have yet to see one fit a YJ properly and they all suffer from the vertical shackle syndrome.
So all the engineered kits are wrong, and a few JF guys are right?

Got it.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #19
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post

I got the imression he was talking about this setup
I was. I knew it wasn't "new" technique, but had never seen it before. Moving the mount points won't inhibit the ability to mount "off the shelf" items, unless I did a shackle reversal with stock springs. That's how I see it, anyway.
newfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #20
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
So all the engineered kits are wrong, and a few JF guys are right?

Got it.
No its an economics thing. They take the same springs and put a larger arch in them. This makes them shorter from eye to eye. There are some companies that dont even make a spring larger then 2.5." No matter how it happens a shackle that is completely or near vertical is wrong.
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #21
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I finally made time to take a pic of the new front shackle(s) position. Mount points moved back approx. 3/4˝.
Also, when the springs were taken off, there were signs of wear in several spots across the #2 leaf, so the shop added pads to each end.
Jeep rides "softer" now and has less bump steer symptoms. For now, this will do for me. incidentally, I finally scored a decent set of stock YJ springs, for an SOA conversion in the future. I don't know if this will require moving the mount points back to "home", but I'm okay with that. SOA isn't in immediate future plans.
20140324_185938.jpg  
newfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.