My front shackle inverted while offroading - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My front shackle inverted while offroading

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My front shackle inverted while offroading

New to Jeeping, and looking for input:

Front (tow) shackles are basically perpendicular to the ground. In my uneducated mind, the lower end of the shackle should extend further (away from the jeep, towards the front) than the upper, thereby preventing inversion.
Maybe I need longer main leafs?

front.jpg

Last edited by newfish1; 09-24-2013 at 07:38 AM..
newfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Turn the shackles around so the triangle is facing the rear of the jeep. Move the crosstie to the tip of the triangle if you dont have an extra bolt/sleeve. This will stop the inversion as it will hit the frame and stop it. Use them like a boomerang shackle, since that is basically what that is
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure what your question is. Those shackles are designed that way to hook a tow bar to them. Are you getting inversion?
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is a common problem with aftermarket springs. If it were mine I'd slide the front mount backwards. To eliminate the inversion and keep the shackles you have you can weld a small triangle of 1/4" steel to the frame mount as a stopper.
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of welding a stopper, as reversing the shackles would inhibit the ability to connect a tow bar from the center of the shackle.
@Timatoe, What I meant was- if there was a way to modify the springs or get a longer main leaf, this would theoretically force the front shackles to hang at approx. a 15 degree angle, with the bottom end protruding out, away from the front of the vehicle.
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you went with a longer leaf then on compression you would force the tow point of the triangle up into the frame/bumper and force the spring to S curve....bad juju

Best bet would be the stopper. It wouldn't even have to be that herky since the only force on it would be the axlle droop wieght.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I bet you could market a "anti inversion tow shackle" basically instead of a triangle that you have now it would be square plates the front would connect to the tow like now and the back would act as a stop on the frame to prevent inversion

If you make millions I want a new old jeep for my idea
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's a great idea. All of it…
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Found what seems like a GREAT shop in Escondido, CA. Old school machinist and knows a LOT about leaf spring suspensions. There was already a red YJ in his shop- doing an SOA conversion with custom springs (must've been a 10 [thin leaf] pack; I didn't count) and double shackles. HUGE lift (way too much for my comfort). But whatever- The guy knows his stuff and was very helpful. Gave me a tour of his shop and his passion for the craft was obvious.
Wish i could afford an SOA conversion. What he's going to do for me to eliminate the shackle inversion is move the shackle mount points back, add shims (I know that isn't the right term) between a couple of the leafs, and buttons on leaf #3, as there currently aren't any. I didn't take "before" pics but will share the "after" pics when I get it back. You can see my current shackle position in the first post on this thread.
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfish1 View Post
Found what seems like a GREAT shop in Escondido, CA. Old school machinist and knows a LOT about leaf spring suspensions. There was already a red YJ in his shop- doing an SOA conversion with custom springs (must've been a 10 [thin leaf] pack; I didn't count) and double shackles. HUGE lift (way too much for my comfort). But whatever- The guy knows his stuff and was very helpful. Gave me a tour of his shop and his passion for the craft was obvious.
Wish i could afford an SOA conversion. What he's going to do for me to eliminate the shackle inversion is move the shackle mount points back, add shims (I know that isn't the right term) between a couple of the leafs, and buttons on leaf #3, as there currently aren't any. I didn't take "before" pics but will share the "after" pics when I get it back. You can see my current shackle position in the first post on this thread.
A good amount of travel will come fron relocating the shackle mount a little back. You will be pleased.

But LOL at the "knows a lot about leaf suspension" and "double shackle" in the same sentence
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #11
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

?? It wasn't.
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #12
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of 5in lift do you have?
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm still new to this, and have owned this jeep for approx. 10 months. I THINK it's a 4" lift from the springs, and 1" from the taller shackles.
BTW, in my earlier post, when I used the term "double shackles"- I believe the proper term is "drop shackles".
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #14
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know why you would want to modify your frame mounts. It'll then be screwed up for any off the shelf springs. Your problem is with those mystery springs. I suggest you leave the frame alone and pick up some quality springs from a respected manufacturer. In fact, I insist you do that!
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I don't know why you would want to modify your frame mounts. It'll then be screwed up for any off the shelf springs. Your problem is with those mystery springs. I suggest you leave the frame alone and pick up some quality springs from a respected manufacturer. In fact, I insist you do that!

When I had 4.5 RE extreme duty springs I moved my shackle hangar. It made a huge difference for the better

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.