My first Jeep, doesn't turn on. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My first Jeep, doesn't turn on.

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 05-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Cisco123
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My first Jeep, doesn't turn on.

Fuel pump sounds like it works, just put in a new starter and starter relay so now it actually turns the engine, BUT it doesnt actually turn on. What could be the problem??? It is got a TBI with a new injector but i dont smell or see any fuel squirting out, is this normal??? Also, what are the 2 relays under the hood next to the Battery for?

Im new to this site and working on and owning a Jeep. Any help is appreciated.

Cisco123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pour a small amount of fuel down the throttle body, then see if it will start and run briefly. If it does, you have a fuel problem, if not; no spark.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When you say it doesn't turn on do you mean it won't try to start, that the starter won't spin the motor over or the starter spins the motor but it won't start? Need more info.
Also, which motor do you have and what tranny do you have, all helpful info for us to help you.

And welcome to the forum!
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
NicksYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hello! First off, When Diagnosing a no start condition there is two basic types of no start conditions. The first being (No-Crank/No Start) which basically means when you get in the vehicle turn the key nothing happens or atleast the motor doesn't turn over or start cranking. This can be divided into 2 sub categories which is A) No power to vehichle where the dash does not light up and nothing else comes on or B) where the dash gets power the PCM gets power but the engine doesnt crank.
The second type of no start is (Cranking/No Start) which means the vehicle cranks over and tries to start but actually wont firing.

To help you understand the Diag process that goes behind figuring either of these conditions out you need to understand an engine needs three things to run
1) Compression - Mechanical
2) Spark - Which is mostly electrical but has some Mechanical elements to it especially in our motors
3) Fuel/Air - Which again, is mostly electrical but there is Mechanical elements that pertain to this system.

Let us know which condition your Jeep presents so we can help you diagnose your issue!
and always start with the easy things I.E. Battery, Fuel Level, Clogged Air Filter, Starter etc.
NicksYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Cisco123
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks EAbiker, ill try that.
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Cisco123
1989 YJ Wrangler 

NichsYJ, i did replace the starter and starter relay, the engine does crank when i turn the key but thats all it does, the engine doesnt actually turn on. Ill try to get the remaining information such as transmission type etc as soon as possible. This is the first Jeep ive worked on.
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Cisco123
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My last post also applies to jeff in rc
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Cisco123
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok so I found that there is no spark, so i also replaced the ignition coil and the module it sits in ( it is a domestic coil(Square), as opposed to import (Cylindrical)). After i replaced these to items i still have no spark coming out of the coil. what do i do now???
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The CPS, or Crank Position Sensor is what the ECM uses to determine when to fire the plugs, and is known to be failure prone. It is located at the rear of the engine on the bellhousing. Give that a shot.
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Cisco123
1989 YJ Wrangler 

is this a sensor that i clean, adjust or should i just replace it?
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since it is electric I would replace it. Nothing to clean.
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Cisco123
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok will do, thanks
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
Cisco123
1989 YJ Wrangler 

EAbiker and jeff in rc, I replaced the CPS and it started right up!!! running smoothly, awesome thanks guys!!!!
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good news there Cisco123!! Thanks for the follow up message, a lot of people don't.
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Happy Jeepin! Also glad you let us know how it turned out; now others can learn how to get their rig running by reading your thread!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.