My entrance into the world of YJ's. Introducing my 93 Sahara. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My entrance into the world of YJ's. Introducing my 93 Sahara.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
DCJosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 62
My entrance into the world of YJ's. Introducing my 93 Sahara.

Hi everyone,

I recently found this unmodified, 5 speed, 4.0, 2 owner YJ near me for a bargain that I could not pass up:



This is my first YJ and I am excited to learn more about what I can do with it as well as taking it off road. I will be moving up to PA in the fall for school so I would like to get involved with any off-road clubs in the Bucks County area.

Thanks for this forum, I have learned a lot.

Here is a picture of all of my current projects :



1984 MB 300D
2003 WJ Overland
1993 YJ Sahara

(That Prius is my neighbors...)

DCJosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Luuca
Professional Novice
 
Luuca's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 2,865
Welcome to Jeepforum YJ Technical Thread. Great looking Sahara man. Whats first on the agenda?
__________________
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Dake
Web Wheeler
 
Dake's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: , GA
Posts: 1,018
Nice looking YJ!
__________________
Waiting on my Rough Country lift to sag!
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
DCJosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 62
I needed to take care of some bulb replacement and the headlight switch in order for it to pass inspection. I have also changed out the old radiator, it looked like it was going to spring a leak any minute. I have a set of breaks to put on the front when I get around to it.
:smiley:

As far as the fun stuff though, first thing I have coming up is changing the wheels. I have a set of these coming early next week:



I am not looking to lift it right now. What is a good size tire to put on so that I don't get any rubbing?

(My daughter added the smilies)
DCJosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
wendell
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: grafton ohio
Posts: 3,292
30x9.50 with out any lift. I have 31x10.50's on mine with no lift, but do get a slight rub at full turn
__________________
1987 wrangler, 258 I-6, 5-speed.
2007 liberty sport 4X4, automatic
2009 ford ranger 4x4 FX4 OFF/ROAD, 5-speed
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
DCJosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
30x9.50 with out any lift. I have 31x10.50's on mine with no lift, but do get a slight rub at full turn
Thanks!
DCJosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler
 
mike_breaker_5's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: emporium,, pennsylvania
Posts: 2,967
you are going to be so close to RC orv after you move to pa. i am a little jealous.

my jeep had 31x10.50's on it when i bought it with a 2" body lift. it rubbed like wendell said just before full steer. but it really wasn't an issue. . . when you hear it rub... turn the wheel back a little. lol

WELCOME TO THE YJ WORLD!
__________________
Ratmonkey donation page. all proceeds will go to his family.
http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fu..._source=widget


it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
DCJosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
you are going to be so close to RC orv after you move to pa. i am a little jealous.

my jeep had 31x10.50's on it when i bought it with a 2" body lift. it rubbed like wendell said just before full steer. but it really wasn't an issue. . . when you hear it rub... turn the wheel back a little. lol

WELCOME TO THE YJ WORLD!
Thanks! I tried to Google RC ORV and I could not find anything. Is it Wolf Creek? I also spent some time looking at your build, looks great! I also placed an order with MonstaLiner because of what you did to your rig. I was on the fence before, but your work sealed the deal!

- DC Josh
DCJosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler
 
mike_breaker_5's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: emporium,, pennsylvania
Posts: 2,967
rausch creek.
http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

i think it remains the only east coast, king of the hammers event. if i ever stop modding my rig i will be sure to get down there to try and break something.
__________________
Ratmonkey donation page. all proceeds will go to his family.
http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fu..._source=widget


it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
DCJosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 62
Is there a thread that discusses and compares different experiences with All Terrain tires?

I am considering the BFGoodwrench All Terrain A/T's, the Good Year Silent Armors or the Firestone Destination AT's.

The Firestones are less expensive, but I really like the look of the BFG's.

Can anyone chime in or point me to a thread that can help? Thanks!

-DC Josh
DCJosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
Luuca
Professional Novice
 
Luuca's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJosh View Post
I needed to take care of some bulb replacement and the headlight switch in order for it to pass inspection. I have also changed out the old radiator, it looked like it was going to spring a leak any minute. I have a set of breaks to put on the front when I get around to it.
:smiley:

As far as the fun stuff though, first thing I have coming up is changing the wheels. I have a set of these coming early next week:



I am not looking to lift it right now. What is a good size tire to put on so that I don't get any rubbing?

(My daughter added the smilies)
Love those Ravine rims.. Run them on our YJ as well. Great taste my friend..
__________________
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
geusey
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Morton, Texas
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJosh View Post

I am not looking to lift it right now. What is a good size tire to put on so that I don't get any rubbing?
I ran 235/75/R15 for a long time under my 92 with nasty old stock suspension without any trouble. Plus, they still look pretty good underneath a 2.5" suspension lift, although I'm just itching to put 32's under it. Nice looking Jeep. Have fun with it!
__________________
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
geusey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler
 
mike_breaker_5's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: emporium,, pennsylvania
Posts: 2,967
don't waste your money on bgf A/T's if you are planning on leaving the pavement. dry dirt, pavement, gravel, and concrete are the only places i would ever consider those tires to be any good. i ran 32x11.5's on my yj for a short bit before the axle swap. they were terrible on any surface except the ones i mentioned. even in grass they would just spin and load up. they were however great on the snowy roads on my drive back and forth to work.
__________________
Ratmonkey donation page. all proceeds will go to his family.
http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fu..._source=widget


it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
DCJosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by geusey View Post
I ran 235/75/R15 for a long time under my 92 with nasty old stock suspension without any trouble. Plus, they still look pretty good underneath a 2.5" suspension lift, although I'm just itching to put 32's under it. Nice looking Jeep. Have fun with it!
Is a 235/75/R15 a 30 inch tire? I think that is what I will go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
don't waste your money on bgf A/T's if you are planning on leaving the pavement. dry dirt, pavement, gravel, and concrete are the only places i would ever consider those tires to be any good. i ran 32x11.5's on my yj for a short bit before the axle swap. they were terrible on any surface except the ones i mentioned. even in grass they would just spin and load up. they were however great on the snowy roads on my drive back and forth to work.
Do you have a recommendation? I need something as an all-terrain as this will also serve duty on the road most of the time.

I have been spending time in the tire and wheel forums, but some YJ knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks!
- DC Josh
DCJosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
geusey
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Morton, Texas
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJosh View Post
Is a 235/75/R15 a 30 inch tire? I think that is what I will go with.
It's roughly the same size, i believe. I used Goodyear Wranglers in that size and I'm pretty happy with them. Pretty good bang for your buck, and you can get them just about anywhere.....even Walmart.
__________________
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
geusey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.