My entrance into the world of YJ's. Introducing my 93 Sahara. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My entrance into the world of YJ's. Introducing my 93 Sahara.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
DCJosh

My entrance into the world of YJ's. Introducing my 93 Sahara.

Hi everyone,

I recently found this unmodified, 5 speed, 4.0, 2 owner YJ near me for a bargain that I could not pass up:

This is my first YJ and I am excited to learn more about what I can do with it as well as taking it off road. I will be moving up to PA in the fall for school so I would like to get involved with any off-road clubs in the Bucks County area.

Thanks for this forum, I have learned a lot.

Here is a picture of all of my current projects :

1984 MB 300D
2003 WJ Overland
1993 YJ Sahara

(That Prius is my neighbors...)

DCJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome to Jeepforum YJ Technical Thread. Great looking Sahara man. Whats first on the agenda?
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking YJ!
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
DCJosh

I needed to take care of some bulb replacement and the headlight switch in order for it to pass inspection. I have also changed out the old radiator, it looked like it was going to spring a leak any minute. I have a set of breaks to put on the front when I get around to it.
:smiley:

As far as the fun stuff though, first thing I have coming up is changing the wheels. I have a set of these coming early next week:

I am not looking to lift it right now. What is a good size tire to put on so that I don't get any rubbing?

(My daughter added the smilies)
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

30x9.50 with out any lift. I have 31x10.50's on mine with no lift, but do get a slight rub at full turn
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
DCJosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
30x9.50 with out any lift. I have 31x10.50's on mine with no lift, but do get a slight rub at full turn
Thanks!
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

you are going to be so close to RC orv after you move to pa. i am a little jealous.

my jeep had 31x10.50's on it when i bought it with a 2" body lift. it rubbed like wendell said just before full steer. but it really wasn't an issue. . . when you hear it rub... turn the wheel back a little. lol

WELCOME TO THE YJ WORLD!

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
DCJosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
you are going to be so close to RC orv after you move to pa. i am a little jealous.

my jeep had 31x10.50's on it when i bought it with a 2" body lift. it rubbed like wendell said just before full steer. but it really wasn't an issue. . . when you hear it rub... turn the wheel back a little. lol

WELCOME TO THE YJ WORLD!
Thanks! I tried to Google RC ORV and I could not find anything. Is it Wolf Creek? I also spent some time looking at your build, looks great! I also placed an order with MonstaLiner because of what you did to your rig. I was on the fence before, but your work sealed the deal!

- DC Josh
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

rausch creek.
http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

i think it remains the only east coast, king of the hammers event. if i ever stop modding my rig i will be sure to get down there to try and break something.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
DCJosh

Is there a thread that discusses and compares different experiences with All Terrain tires?

I am considering the BFGoodwrench All Terrain A/T's, the Good Year Silent Armors or the Firestone Destination AT's.

The Firestones are less expensive, but I really like the look of the BFG's.

Can anyone chime in or point me to a thread that can help? Thanks!

-DC Josh
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJosh View Post
I needed to take care of some bulb replacement and the headlight switch in order for it to pass inspection. I have also changed out the old radiator, it looked like it was going to spring a leak any minute. I have a set of breaks to put on the front when I get around to it.
:smiley:

As far as the fun stuff though, first thing I have coming up is changing the wheels. I have a set of these coming early next week:

I am not looking to lift it right now. What is a good size tire to put on so that I don't get any rubbing?

(My daughter added the smilies)
Love those Ravine rims.. Run them on our YJ as well. Great taste my friend..
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I ran 235/75/R15 for a long time under my 92 with nasty old stock suspension without any trouble. Plus, they still look pretty good underneath a 2.5" suspension lift, although I'm just itching to put 32's under it. Nice looking Jeep. Have fun with it!
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

don't waste your money on bgf A/T's if you are planning on leaving the pavement. dry dirt, pavement, gravel, and concrete are the only places i would ever consider those tires to be any good. i ran 32x11.5's on my yj for a short bit before the axle swap. they were terrible on any surface except the ones i mentioned. even in grass they would just spin and load up. they were however great on the snowy roads on my drive back and forth to work.

Unread 06-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
DCJosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by geusey View Post
I ran 235/75/R15 for a long time under my 92 with nasty old stock suspension without any trouble. Plus, they still look pretty good underneath a 2.5" suspension lift, although I'm just itching to put 32's under it. Nice looking Jeep. Have fun with it!
Is a 235/75/R15 a 30 inch tire? I think that is what I will go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
don't waste your money on bgf A/T's if you are planning on leaving the pavement. dry dirt, pavement, gravel, and concrete are the only places i would ever consider those tires to be any good. i ran 32x11.5's on my yj for a short bit before the axle swap. they were terrible on any surface except the ones i mentioned. even in grass they would just spin and load up. they were however great on the snowy roads on my drive back and forth to work.
Do you have a recommendation? I need something as an all-terrain as this will also serve duty on the road most of the time.

I have been spending time in the tire and wheel forums, but some YJ knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks!
- DC Josh
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is a 235/75/R15 a 30 inch tire? I think that is what I will go with.
It's roughly the same size, i believe. I used Goodyear Wranglers in that size and I'm pretty happy with them. Pretty good bang for your buck, and you can get them just about anywhere.....even Walmart.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.