My dilema! Long thread to read, but please help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My dilema! Long thread to read, but please help!!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 09-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Fonz3482
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My dilema! Long thread to read, but please help!!

Ok, so I bought my yj 3 weeks ago and tried to get it road worthy. When I got all the basic work done,(brakes, oil change, brake lines, radiator, random bulbs replaced, removed front and rear trac bars, ground down, painted the frame, tires, and wheels) I registered it only to find out that the motor makes a loud ticking noise, runs kinda rough, and the trans grinds the gears on down shifts into 3rd. Heres what I did:

I put some cleaner in the engine in hopes it would free up or clean out the noisey lifters. I changed the trans fluid and bleed the clutch. Then I drove it twice for a total of 20 miles. The trans work great for @ 5 miles, then started to grind 3rd again on downshifts, and now it grinds 4th on upshifts. The engine just got LOUDER. Now the next step is to re-bleed the clutch, and change the trans fluid again. For the motor Im gonna change the oil with a motorcraft fl-a1 filter and some marvel mystery oil. HOPEFULLY this works!!

If not heres my question: I have a chevy 305 thats in perfect running order and a ton of performance parts laying around. I pulled the 305ci out of my 84 monte ss and swapped in a 383ci. Is it easier/ cheapier to swap a sbc into the yj then to remove my stock motor and trans and rebuild both?? I figure @ $600 to rebuild the stock trans, and $1200 to rebuild the motor. Im not worried about the wiring or install of a sbc, just the cost of fitting it into the yj and making it work. So any advice or help would be great! Thanks everyone!!

Fonz3482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would think its easier to keep the jeep setup. But cheaper to go with the SBC. The 305's had decent torque, at least mine did. But it takes a fair amount of work to get one into a jeep.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It really depends on how you want to go, what your budget is and what is important to you. What are you going to use the jeep for? If you are just going to drive it around town, a rebuild will probably be the cheaper way. Putting in a small block Chevy isn't difficult. It fits like it is factory, but you still need a new transmission, new motor mounts, etc. Will your transfer case handle the added horsepower or do you need to rebuild that too?

I have put a V6 in my jeep and I can tell you, it costs more than a whole lot of people say it does. You are always buying things to get it right. If you can machine and weld, than you can cut the costs tremendously. If you can't, they add up fast. I would contact Advanced Adapters AND Novak... see what both offers. Give it some serious thought AND DO NOT LET YOUR FEELINGS GET IN THE WAY! If this is strictly budget, stay stock and rebuild. If it is something else, maybe Chevy is the way to go BUT you will be cheaper and in better shape if you stay stock.

Now some people love to find everything in the junkyard and make it work. Fantastic... there is something to be said about a great scrounger. If you do this, you can cut your costs tremendously also. I didn't go that route because my wife and children will be driving this vehicle also. I wanted to take my time, do it slowly and what I considered correct for my situation. It may not be correct for someone else.

Take care,

Last edited by 1SASjeepster; 09-04-2011 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: clarification
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Fonz3482
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I cant do much machineing, but welding and fabing stuff would be easy. I guess im just more comfortable working with sbc then with a 4.0l. That would be the reason why I would lean towards the sbc. Budget is a issue, thats why I thought it would be more work, yet cheaper to do a sbc swap, then to rebuild the 4.0l and the trans??? Again, I hope my jeep is a much easier fix for now. Im gonna try the basics 1st, if that doesn't work, then some decisions will need to be made.
Fonz3482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The 305 is a pretty good rock crawler motor actually. The under square motors always make torque nice and low in the powerband. I have a vortec 5.0 I will be dropping into mine next year. 290 ft/lbs at less than 2800 rpms is right on for my rig. As for trans I am going to use an adapter and run the AX-15. The transfer case can handle it no problem. Especially if you put in the wider sprocket and chain and the 4 pinion planetary gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

These Jeep 6 cylinder engines are noisy, no two ways about it. Have you done any diagnostics on the engine? Compression? Fuel mileage? Oil use?

I'd dang sure drop the pan and plastiguage the bearings before I even thought about pulling the engine for a SBC swap.

The AX-15 is a good transmission. Hydraulic clutches suck. Likely you are having a small issue that a (OEM only!) sealed slave/master combo replacement will fix. Mean Max knows quite a bit about these trannies, he can likely answer any questions you have. He has an excellent post about the AX 15:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1032480/

All in all, if it were mine, I would fix what I have.
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
The 305 is a pretty good rock crawler motor actually. The under square motors always make torque nice and low in the powerband. I have a vortec 5.0 I will be dropping into mine next year. 290 ft/lbs at less than 2800 rpms is right on for my rig. As for trans I am going to use an adapter and run the AX-15. The transfer case can handle it no problem. Especially if you put in the wider sprocket and chain and the 4 pinion planetary gears.
Overall, yeah, especially with the right cam and gears. You can do "intersting" things with the 305.

Minor correction tho, if I may: The 305 is *not* under square. In fact Chevy has never made an under square engine. Look at the specs: The bore is 3.75", the stroke is 3.48.

Some of the newer piston and rod combos allow you to stuff reallly long rods in there, which does amazing things for the torque. Stock rod length is 5.7 inch, for years guys were stuffing 6 inch rods with flat pistons.

The long rods BTW are the reason why the jeep 6-cyl is such a torque monster - The way the jeep engine is laid out practically forces then to use long rods. But their head design kinda sucked compared to the Chevs.

Unread 09-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My bad, the numbers for the 305 in my head were incorrect. It has literally been mid 80s since i built one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
My bad, the numbers for the 305 in my head were incorrect. It has literally been mid 80s since i built one.
No probs, it happens to me too

I haven't built a Chevy rig since 1998 - my last one was a 1979 3/4 ton. (I started doing chevys in the 1980's).

Unread 09-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
yjhunter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the loud ticking may just be the timing chain..... something to look at.
yjhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
Virjeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Loud ticking in my case was timing chain. PO had said tjcking was lifter, mechanic later told me was rod. I decided to rebuild (mine is 4.2). Although motor was worn, noise turned out to be timing chain slapping agaist side of cover. Engine is as quiet as new now. Couldn't be happier!
Virjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
Flint007
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check the exhaust manifold for cracks, in the case of the engine noise
Flint007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.