MY D44 Build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MY D44 Build thread

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

MY D44 Build thread

So I was out at the local pick and pull last night and I was looking at gettting a front D30 and rear d35 out of a 4 banger wrangler that had 4.10 gearing in them.

I was debating my options since I would be buying a replacement D35 for my current D35 . The only advantage of this change was i would get out of my gearing issuse since i currently have 3.07s gear with 33's. As I was bedating puting any money into a D35.

I looked at a 87 cherokee which had a D44 rear end .

I decided ths will be my new rear axle. I hope I am making the right call. I went back to pick and pull and left with this beast.

I brought her home and opened her up to see.

Here I go. If anyone has any advice on my next step?

bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So this morning I took a closer look at the gears in this rear end. I have found some minor chipping on the ring gear. I guess I just need to tear it apart and see what is garbage. Does anyone have a suggestion on the gear set I should put in this. I have an I6 4.0 with a 3 speed auto current gearing on the Jeep is 3.07, I use this for a minor DD.
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

First of all congrats on finding an XJ D44, not too easy by any means. Secondly I have Yukon gears in mine (4.88) and so far they've been great. For 33's though I'd consider 4.10s or 4.56s.

Use the calculator at Randy's Ring & Pinion to figure out what your cruising RPM will be with a given R&P/tire combo and that should narrow it down pretty quickly. http://www.ringpinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome. My buddy just got all his gears and locker for his D44. He came down to my work yesterday and dropped the housing and other parts to be sandblasted. It's definitely beef.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What locker did your buddy add for his?

I am looking for the gears and a locker and of course like everyone else I want to get the most for my money.
Unread 04-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill8bud View Post
What locker did your buddy add for his?

I am looking for the gears and a locker and of course like everyone else I want to get the most for my money.
I tried to get him to get a selectable but with what he uses his for he just got a new carrier and an Aussie. It's a trailer queen now and the cost for the new carrier and locker was considerably cheaper than an ARB (which he thought about getting since he has the compressor). He got all the gears and install kits and carriers from Rusty's. Pretty good price too and fast shipping according to him. Of course they are in Tennessee and we're in Georgia.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So after some research it looks like I am going to have to do this in two phases.

Phase 1
SUA Spring perches (Teraflex or Currie)
Shock Mounts (Currie or open to ideas)
Front gears D30 4.10s or 4.56s
Rear gears D44 4.10s or 4.56s
Rear D44 brake pads and wheel/cylinders
Diff cover

Phase 2
Rear lockrite/Spartan

First question some are going to have is why not do the lockers when I do the gearing. Answer is budget and I can add the Lockrite at a later date with an "easy" installation.

A great youtube video on the Lockrite lockers:

Anything I may be missing please let me know.
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Raloma
1993 YJ Wrangler 

bill8bud
It's not really that bad of a job, I did mine and am pleased with the results. For the shock mounts I went to the junk yard and got lower spring plates from a mud 90s Chevy p/u they have the shock mounts welded to them in almost the exact right spot.
good luck
Raloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

update time..

I have had to make some major modifications to this project due to funding.

Gearing has changed from my dream of 4.10s to the reality of 3.54 since the dana 44 had them in it. I found a front dana 30 with 3.55s for 95 bucks on Craigslist.

I pulled the Dana 44 out of the backyard and hit it with some primer.

I need to complete grinding of the old shock mounts off still

I am working on getting the brakes together now anyone have a good diagram for this?

Spring perches are ready, new shock mounts are ready.

I have have alot to do to finish this....lol
Unread 10-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So this morning I took a closer look at the gears in this rear end. I have found some minor chipping on the ring gear. I guess I just need to tear it apart and see what is garbage. Does anyone have a suggestion on the gear set I should put in this. I have an I6 4.0 with a 3 speed auto current gearing on the Jeep is 3.07, I use this for a minor DD.
If its a minor DD, why not wait and put the gears in you want? you will be kicking yourself later when you go back and do it again.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree I may regret this choice on the gears but to be honest I am running 3.07s and it really sucks. Its like driving a boat with a small 4 banger pushing a huge prop.
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You could just get a 4cyl 4.10 front and regear the 44 to 4.10. The 3.55's arent goin to be much of a gain in gearing for 33's. Ruffstuff sells an install kit with perches, ubolts and spring plates thats reasonibly priced. Just ask for the shorter perches when you order since it'll be sua.
Having run a lockrite in my old 35 for a couple years and switching to a detroit in my 8.8. I'd say save a little more and get a detroit. Believe it or not they handle much better on the street than the lockrite and are all around stronger.
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
update time..

I have had to make some major modifications to this project due to funding.

Gearing has changed from my dream of 4.10s to the reality of 3.54 since the dana 44 had them in it. I found a front dana 30 with 3.55s for 95 bucks on Craigslist.

I pulled the Dana 44 out of the backyard and hit it with some primer.

I need to complete grinding of the old shock mounts off still

I am working on getting the brakes together now anyone have a good diagram for this?

Spring perches are ready, new shock mounts are ready.

I have have alot to do to finish this....lol
Score! finding those matching gears will get you on the road cheaper and quicker.

Those shock mounts look gone enough. why did you grind them down and just just cut them off closer? either way... leave the nubs. you plan on showing that thing?

Just do the brakes one side at a time. Hit the cherokee forum up for pics or a diagram.

A tip- while they are both pulled out. go over the yokes and make sure that it will be easy to bolt up the u-joints when you are ready. I didn't do that and had to deal with it after my axles were mounted under it. they were clogged with junk
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
You could just get a 4cyl 4.10 front and regear the 44 to 4.10. The 3.55's arent goin to be much of a gain in gearing for 33's. Ruffstuff sells an install kit with perches, ubolts and spring plates thats reasonibly priced.
Its funny you say get the 4.10s that was my original plan to take a dana 30 and 35 eeek out of a four banger. I found this axle on the Cherokee right next to it.
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

for the shock mounts, warrior makes a spring plate with a shock mounts on it thats beefy...thats what I have on mine SUA. The only reason I went with this is they sell the part that mounts the shock on seperate incase at sum point u break it, for 20 bucs u can go get a new set and they screw right in...
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.