Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

my crank case needs mucinex

632 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Xtremjeep 
#1 ·

pulled the air box lid last an saw that

inside the pcv valve its got a thin layer of what looks like an is the consistency of mucus, a month back i didn't notice this though

it always had a very slight blow by, the only thing that changed was a month or two ago i switched to mobil one oil

so i d k guys

that oil wasn't there before either

See less See more
#5 ·
niiiiiiice!

that's what the oil on my dipstick looked like when my head gasket blew. and my filter was SOAKED with it. then my engine exploded.

i've heard internet talk of people having problems switching to synthetic oil after years of conventional because the better oil cleans out all the gunk that was holding everything together. it frees up a lot of crap and causes leaks. i've never personally experienced this but it seems like it could be what happened in your case.

now, assuming that's oil mixed with antifreeze, you should get that checked out ASAP. drain your oil, see what it looks and SMELLS like. you might not be able to see much of the white stuff in it since i think it collects in the bottom of the pan or somewhere else... i didn't see it when i drained mine but it was there. you can't miss the smell though, it reeks.

good luck man, i hope it's nothing too serious

#6 ·
might just be the the cold weather. ive pulled my oil cap off plenty of times in the morning to find a mess like that. its just water vapors condensing. one of the reasons you need to get up to full temp to burn off all that crap. and yes the mobil one has extra detergents so anything that woulda been plugging or stuck is slowly working its way out.

side note you said pcv. and i dont know yj's that well but could it be a plugged ccv? mine did similar. and would really coat the filter in oil .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.