Is My Clutch Going Out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is My Clutch Going Out?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-25-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
St.LJustin

Is My Clutch Going Out?

What kinds of things are good indicators of whether or not my clutch is going out? For some reason, I have this strange feeling that it is acting strangely but I can't quite figure what it is. Thanks.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2002, 07:05 AM   #2
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

um.. if you give it gas and have the clutch all the way out and your're not going anywhere but you smell burning clutch... Thats usually an indication that something is wrong.
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2002, 08:23 AM   #3
Bob K

Or difficult to shift into first or reverse without grinding, or clutch engaging at end of travel. The test is to get into 4th or 5th gear at about 25 mph try to accelerate. If the revs go up without the Jeep accelerating as it should then your clutch is slipping . There's a chance it is the hydraulics or linkage, but not so likely.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2002, 10:25 AM   #4
JeepBeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Doh....That's me Bob K.....First is hard to get into, just physically hard to push it in, and I can get into reverse without it grinding by pressing the accelerator slightly.

'95 YJ 2.5L 3" Sus.
ProComp MT 33s"
JeepBeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2002, 11:11 AM   #5
LNDSRK

I had a similar problem late last year... I couldn't shift into 1st gear, at least not all the time. Downshifting was a terror on the ears as well (I would grind in 1st and 3rd), 2nd / 4th / 5th were alright though.

[url=http://www.novajeepers.com]Northern Virginia Jeepers Association[/url]
LNDSRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2002, 12:28 PM   #6
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

go up a hill, and if it slips and revs up and ur not going anywhere. THis is the start, you might not be able to tell going on flat land

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2002, 01:21 PM   #7
sk8pr0

JeepBeep: I had the same problem. check your fluid level for the clutch. It is probably the hydraulic throwout bearing. At least that is what I had to do when I couldn't get it into first. It is a good idea to replace the clutch and the pressure plate at the same time as the throwout bearing, if that is what needs to be done. Hope this helps, if you have any questions post here or email me @ sk8pr0@onebox.com

Hope this helps
sk8pr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2002, 04:13 PM   #8
St.LJustin

Thanks guys and girls. I guess it's just me loving my Jeep.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2002, 08:52 PM   #9
Keymaster

Definately check your fluid level. I had this problem when I first got my Jeep. If the fluid level gets too low you'll suck air into your lines and even if you fill the master cylinder back up it won't fix it. You'll have to bleed the system and refill it. It takes two folks to do it but my dad and I did it in about 15 minutes. I think I still have a slow leak on mine somewhere but I check it about once every couple of weeks to make sure it doesn't get too low and it has been fine for the last year.

Looking for a YJ!
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2002, 01:03 AM   #10
BigDaddESean

I noticed mine was low a few weeks ago. My friend said "dude it should never go low unless there is something wrong." But eventhough I know that, my pig headed self shrugs it off and keeps driving. Then I fill it up, and a couple of days later out of nowhere poof I have no clutch pressure. When i fill it, i can pump it three times and all the fluid is out again. So now time to drop the tranny and replace the slave. I'll check out everything else while it's out. <a href="http://hometown.aol.com/goofy2k8" target="_blank">Sean's Jeep Page</a>
Unread 03-27-2002, 11:13 AM   #11
sk8pr0

Well good luck, and like I think I said before. Most books that you look at will tell you to replace clutch and pressure plate while the tranny is out. I would highly suggest that, because it is better to drop it once and fix it all rather than have to do it again in a few thousand miles. Just my opinion.
sk8pr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.