My brakes suck!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My brakes suck!!!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any chance your booster is bad? What kind of pedal effort are you having to use? The only time my brakes sucked on my 87 YJ when I had the stock axles was when my booster was leaking and I disconnected it so my motor would run properly (since it was basically a big vacuum leak). Even w/o the booster the brakes worked, but w/o the power assist I had to do a lot more work to make it stop. 33s shouldn't really be too much for reasonable stopping w/ stock brakes.

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I know that you mentioned that you replaced the wheel cylinders, but is your brake adjuster on the rear wheels working? If it won't turn freely, it's not. Every time you back up in a vehicle with drums, it adjusts the pads to where they need to be. If the adjuster won't turn easily, your rear pads probably aren't hitting the drum.

You can buy a kit for the drums to replace all the springs and whatnot. If this has never been done, it's probably time.
I doubt it's your front brakes. When the calipers go bad, it's doubtful that they'll both screw up the same way at the same time and if just one is acting up it'll pull to one side like a mother...

The proportioning valve is a potential problem, but I'd be more suspect of the master cylinder (I've had brand new ones that didn't work on more than one occasion).

All of my brake components are lifetime warranty at this point. If something acts up, I pull all of it, take it in and get new ones. Master cylinder, wheel cylinders, calipers, shoes, and pads. On the Jeep, I've never had a problem with any of the other components in over 300k miles. I'm running 33/12.50-15 Hankook MT tires on Centerline Hellcat (aluminum) wheels and I have to be careful when stopping fast to avoid locking up.

Upgrading the brakes is always a good idea, but it sounds like you have a component problem and that needs to be addressed before you start throwing upgrades at it that may mask the real problem. The most likely suspects are either the adjusters or the master cylinder. While proportioning valves and boosters can fail, it doesn't happen often. Stick with the basics and go from there.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
waylon73
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just an update.. I followed the advice and adjusted the back brakes as described. I then checked for vacuum leaks found one and repaired it. I also tested the brake booster as described and the pedal did fall but only about an inch or so. It did not fix the problem. Should there be a significant drop in the brake pedal when the vehicle is started?
waylon73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The amount of pressure needed to press the pedal should drop a lot with the vehicle running vs. not. Even when I had a leak in my brake booster it still improved the braking effort, it just made the motor run terrible.

So do you have a spongy pedal or a hard pedal? Spongy with bad braking would indicate air in the lines. Hard pedal would mean a bad booster.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
waylon73
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The pedal is pretty solid when the vehicle is turned off, when it's running it feels like there's no breaks at all.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Which means the booster is good.
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylon73
The pedal is pretty solid when the vehicle is turned off, when it's running it feels like there's no breaks at all.
Bleed the brakes again. Same thing happened to me, except I had my front callipers on upside down. So there was a bunch of air in the system. I went through 3 liters of fluid before I found out my mistake. Bleed them again. Make sure all the air is out. And also bleed them in order as well.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #23
LordOfTheSith
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have drilled dimpled rotors I find they have not only reduced the stopping distance but don't squeal or get too hot.
LordOfTheSith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #24
waylon73
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have new drilled and slotted rotors as well. It's definitely not those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.