My Brake Warning Light Stays On...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Brake Warning Light Stays On...?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
AirForce
Head Hunter

1994 YJ Wrangler 

My Brake Warning Light Stays On...?

Last weekend I replaced my rear Axle Housing in my 94 YJ. I hooked up all the brake lines, did a brake power bleed, adjusted the emergency brake cables, cleaned the emergency brake switch, road test, checked for leakes... the brakes works great! But, my Brake Warning Light stays on. How do I reset the system so the light goes out? Besides the Emergency Brake Switch, what would cause it to remain on?

Thanks for your help??

AirForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
oxiderush
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the perportioning valve near the master brake cylinder will make it turn on i believe.
oxiderush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxiderush View Post
the perportioning valve near the master brake cylinder will make it turn on i believe.
There should be a switch (single wire, it completes the ground) in the porportioning valve. Any debris (loosened up by the power bleed?) in the hydraulic lines can cause it to ground out & turn the light on. Test it by disconnecting the wire from the switch on the porportioning valve & see if the light goes out. If it doesn't go out, it's probably the E-brake switch, if it does, see if you can remove the switch from the valve & clean it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
AirForce
Head Hunter

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I'll check the wiring this morning. If it is the proportioning valve sending the signal to the warning light... is there a way to reset the valve so it words properly?

Thanks...
Unread 01-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForce View Post
Thanks, I'll check the wiring this morning. If it is the proportioning valve sending the signal to the warning light... is there a way to reset the valve so it words properly?

Thanks...
Yes - you can easily reset the switch.
Do the following (Assuming you did bleed the brakes and got all the air out.)

Start the Jeep. While stopped depress the brake pedal really hard a few times as if you were doing a panic stop. This will reset the switch on the proportioning valve.

Done
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
AirForce
Head Hunter

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll try that... thanks!
Unread 01-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
AirForce
Head Hunter

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It worked... I could hear the Proportional Valve reset when I stomped on the Brake. The light went out... and life is good again!!

Thanks for all your help!
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
warrior1670
1986 CJ7 

How do you get the brakes bled if the proportioning valve is stuck shutting the flow off to the rear?
warrior1670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
HandsOn

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I don't think that shuttle valve is actually made to stop the flow of fluid to either side. It simply reacts to the pressure differential between the two systems. Not there to stop a leak, just let you know it's there.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it should work.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
warrior1670
1986 CJ7 

I tried to bleed mine and when you crack the bleeder, the pedal stays put.
warrior1670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
HandsOn

By staying put, you mean that the pedal won't go down when pushed? If so, then the bleeder is not actually cracked, or something is blocking the fluid flow upstream.
Which valve are you opening? On a caliper, or rear wheel cylinder?

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
Balloutimes2
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Prop Valve swtich reset

I'm resonding to a crazy old thread, but wanted to say this info helped.

Recently started having funny brake feel, would be Hard brake sometimes, then super squishy. Bled the brakes to find that no fluid was comming to the rear brakes. Then one day while driving the brake was in the squishy mood, and when stopping at a light, it went all the way to the floor and i felt and barely heard a click. Immediatly the brake light on the dash came on. From then on, anytime i moved forward just an inch, the light would come one and beep. Very annoying. Still hard sometimes, squishy others.

Had my mechanic check, and found the cylinder was bad. Once replaced, he said the prop valve might be bad, because althought brake was acting normal again, the light and beep were still on. He left the switch unplugged and the light was gone, but as soon as it was plugged back in, light and beep. Didn't want to pay $200 for the prop replacement so i left it.

So just found this thread, and went and tried resetting the valve switch by stomping on the peddle. Took a couple of really good panic - like stomps, with jeep running and in park. then finally heard and felt a tiny click in the pedal. Tested it out, and can now drive normal, with switch plugged in, and no light or beep, AND my breaks are back to normal. So all is good under the hood.

Its a jeep knock life
Balloutimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.