My AX15->AW4 Swap (OBDI AW4) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My AX15->AW4 Swap (OBDI AW4)

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

My AX15->AW4 Swap (OBDI AW4)

Alright guys, I'm starting to get this project rolling.
After exchanging some PMs with a valuable source on the site here, we were able to discern that I have a 1990 setup from right after the switch to 23 spline outputs. My TCU setup is actually a Renix not OBDI.

Thanks to 'meangreeny' for the help sorting through my wiring diagrams.

My hard parts list:

RENIX era AW4 w/23 spline output (believed 1990) w/ matching TCU ($200)
93 XJ Flexplate ($45)
Stock XJ floor shifter/mounting plate ($80)
Flexplate bolts from ARP ($30)
Dust shields, flexplate bolt ring, shifter cable, misc brackets for shifter cable ($60)
1/4" Flat stock to modify the YJ transmission mount to fit the AW4 (Had this in the garage)
Misc bolts ($20)
Dexron Fluid ($45)
Filter ($15)
Misc wiring/solder/heat shrink/loom/connectors ($60)
ALLDATA access for a couple XJ's and my YJ ($50)
Total: $570

I'm going to start removing my AX-15 this week once my flexplate and stuff comes in so I can just remove/install in one go.

Starting the wiring today. I picked up some more heat shrink/solder/18 ga wire from my local radio shack and started downloading diagrams off ALLDATA.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is what I've got so far on wiring (excuse the picture size):

Grey 7 Way plug:

Black 8 Way plug:

TCU:

Wiring from TPS (Used in conjunction with the Crank Position Sensor diagram to decipher which PCM pins to tap):

PCM:

My crude drawings(Where I wrote 'Px' denotes PCM where 'x' is the pin number on the PCM. 'Tx' deontes TPS pins A-C.):

My question is that all the data I've come across has two things missing. On my drawing on the grey plug it is 'pin A' and 'pin H'. My ALLDATA doesn't have anything listed besides color on the grey plugs and I haven't found any info on what those two additional wires do. Still searching.

I hit another snag that I'm trying to figure out. The TCU connector I have had the C10 spliced to the D16 and then out (which is fused power) whereas all my OBDI diagrams have shown that C10 is supposed to be the brake signal and C11 is supposed to be spliced to D16. Gonna try figuring this out before proceeding further. As far as I know the TCU harness was cut from the vehicle and not modified before now.

Update:
After exchanging some PMs with meangreeny he got me straightened out. The jumper (w/resistor) was for the XJ's cruise control setup. I clipped that part out of the harness and ran C10 to the brake signal output on the PCM and spliced C11 and D16 together as per the wiring diagrams.

In addition, pin 'A' and 'H' in the grey plug at the transmission are used in the factory Cherokee wiring harness for vehicle speed sensors, which are not needed in my YJ so they have been capped off.

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
Unread 07-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got some wiring done before dinner. Spliced all my wires into the PCM harness that I needed/labeled them and then passed them through the firewall to mate to the TCU inside the cab since its not waterproof.

I connected, soldered, heat shrunk and then electrical wrapped each splice. then wrapped the whole harness back together like it was from factory. I think this part came out clean. so far. Just have to loom the wires to the TCU and then wire up from the TCU to the transmission solenoid plugs and the wiring should be good to go.

Here is the PCM harness unwrapped and a couple splices done:

Engine bay side wiring all done (sans putting wire loom around the stuff routed into the cab):

My awesome labeling system:

Unread 07-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Really, the unique part of this swap is the wiring. All the hard-part swapping isn't too complicated or really any different from doing a normal clutch change.

Two items that do need addressed are the transmission mount and the difference in transfer case clocking between the XJ and YJ.

To address the transmission mount, I just took some 1/4" flat stock I had in the garage, cut it to the XJ mount width and drilled 4 holes in it. 2 I used to mount to the AW4 and the other two I used to mount the factory YJ transmission mount. This allows me to easily replace the mount with a factory YJ part if needed in the future. The nice thing also is that i was able to get the mount in almost exactly the same distance back from the bellhousing as the AX-15 mount, making it mate up to my skid plate nicely.

As far as the difference in clocking, I did the same many people did and just redrilled the transmission->tcase mount holes to re-clock the transfer case up to the standard YJ position. The technique I used was to take a piece of cardboard and cut a hole out of the middle to slide onto the output shaft. Then I punched a hole in the cardboard @ one of the existing mounting holes and using a sharpie, spun the cardboard around the output creating a circle around the mounting surface. Then I measured out each hole clockwise of the original mounting holes and drilled each new hole stepping up in bit size to the final 7/16" size.

Unread 07-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Reserved

Unread 11-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Goochboobean
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread .....but i am doing this swap and this is really helpful....

did you have and not use the Trans data link on the TCU (C4) Yellow/Black?

Thanks
Goochboobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Goochboobean
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also it looks like you sent D1 and D3 to the TPS pin 4/6...is that right?

I dont have a d1 ???
Goochboobean is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.