My alternator just blew.. Where can I get a rebuild/new one cheap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My alternator just blew.. Where can I get a rebuild/new one cheap?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My alternator just blew.. Where can I get a rebuild/new one cheap?

Advanced auto has them at $99.. I am flat broke, just started a new job today and had to call in late because my alternator blew and now im stuck on side of road.

Hoping to spend under $70, anyone know where I can get one? I am working with loaned money so the cheaper the better.

This is something I would prefer to do locally as I need a new one by this evening. I live in Clayton work in Raleigh so I can drive anywhere near there.

Unread 05-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
sacrifice
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Under $70 is kind of a long shot, at least around me. I have 2 autozones in my area and the one closest to me charges more. I looked up prices for the cheaper location and all of them are around $100 without core. When you return the core they list a duralast one for $69.99 with a limited lifetime warranty. Hope this helps get you back on the road.
sacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
Advanced auto has them at $99.. I am flat broke, just started a new job today and had to call in late because my alternator blew and now im stuck on side of road.

Hoping to spend under $70, anyone know where I can get one? I am working with loaned money so the cheaper the better.

This is something I would prefer to do locally as I need a new one by this evening. I live in Clayton work in Raleigh so I can drive anywhere near there.
You can install a Cadillac alternator from the junkyard. I can't remember the year, but you can search for more info. low cost....
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just happend to be playing around on ebay when I saw this. You can get a used one on there for around $35 to $40. But then you have to wait for them to ship it. Depends on how fast you need it if you want to go that cheap.
ptwhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think a dakota alternator will fit??? I paid $20 for mine and it's much stronger than the stock one.
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
doherty80
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
You can install a Cadillac alternator from the junkyard. I can't remember the year, but you can search for more info. low cost....
im working on doing the GM swap.....its not an afternoon or cheap solution....its 50 for the junkyard alternator and then more to upgrade wiring new wiring harness and other other odds and ends like fabricating a new mount for the larger output alternator
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
doherty80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

I got one from a Cherokee from the junkyard for about 30 bucks last year. Swapped it out in under an hour and it works perfect. There's actually a list of junkyard alternators that will just bolt up somewhere on this site.
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
pariah24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Go to the Advance Auto website, put the alternator in your cart, select pick up at store, and use promo code "BIG35". Your final cost after getting your core charge back is $64.99 plus tax.
pariah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can do a alternator upgrade from a V8 Grand Cherokee...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.