My 95 YJ SLOOOW Build - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 95 YJ SLOOOW Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #151
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Today I ordered the 8.8 install kit from knowwhere2jeep.com. It is the complete kit to include the SOLID diff cover and the U-Bolt flip kit. After a lot of reading and research I figured it was just as simple to order this all inclusive kit rather than pay shipping in several other places and burn gas all over town piece milling this thing together...

I also borrowed a good welder from a friend and am going to get busy with a few other projects around here to hone my welding skills before I attempt the 8.8. I have about 3 other projects that my welding skills should have no problem accomplishing and should give me a feel for the welder... I may post pics of it when i am done, depends on how bad it looks..

I also ordered a lube locker gasket and picked up some primer today. They didn't have any black paint that I liked so I will get that this week sometime.

I plan to use the existing calipers, and maybe the rotors if I have someone look at them first. They have some surface rust but other than that they seem fine. I will probably try to have them turned and see where I am at then. Emergency brake pads seem good, even the disc brake pads looked like new.. I think they must have had a brake job done just prior to wrecking the explorer..

Did most of you that done this just wire wheel your calipers and paint them. I have seen pics where they looked really clean and good, just wondering how you cleaned them up..

Later, gotta go start welding something..

3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #152
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dropped the heep off today to have the swing out tire carrier added to my existing bumper.. I am still not up on this welding and fabrication thing enough just yet to tackle it and I am tired of putting it off. Plus adding it to my bumper was going to require a little creativity and I wanted it to look nice, be strong and no rattles.. 3 things that I wasn't sure I could do just yet.. I feel like I can weld something and make it strong and hold but it is not to purdy...
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #153
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just saw the picture Justin posted on the Arkansas crawlers forum. Your tire carrier looks nice.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #154
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Just saw the picture Justin posted on the Arkansas crawlers forum. Your tire carrier looks nice.
I just jumped over there and seen it, yeah it looks pretty good. He is quick, I just dropped it off yesterday afternoon.. That would have taken me a week and a lot of head ache.. Gonna be money well spent..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #155
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide

I just jumped over there and seen it, yeah it looks pretty good. He is quick, I just dropped it off yesterday afternoon.. That would have taken me a week and a lot of head ache.. Gonna be money well spent..
I get that way too and just order parts occasionally.

Can I make a bumper? Yeah. Do I really feel like it? Sometimes no.

As far as the 8.8 calipers, I reused mine too, I had the rotors turned and put new pads in. I left the factory e brake pads in because they looked good, and they are working great.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #156
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
When will you get to paint it?
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #157
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When will you get to paint it?
Well I don't know, gotta work some logistics on getting the jeep back home. Then depending on work, probably one evening.

Wife and daughter are both gone this week so I have to find a ride to pick it up..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #158
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just saw some picture of your tire carrier on rock soild Facebook page. Justin posted on the crawlers forum that you picked it up tonight. Well does it look as good in person as it does in picture? P.S I got my lights in today.
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #159
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just saw some picture of your tire carrier on rock soild Facebook page. Justin posted on the crawlers forum that you picked it up tonight. Well does it look as good in person as it does in picture? P.S I got my lights in today.
Yeah it looks really good, I have it a part now in my shop painting it. I should have it finished tomorrow evening. I will post pics when it get it all done. Painted one side but it was to tacky to flip it over and get the other side. He does good work though, I really like the latching mechanism he uses, no rattles and very sturdy. Stopped to get gas and noticed my license plate hits so I have to open the tire carrier to pump gas. I guess that will be a future mod, TJ gas filler..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #160
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pics of Tire Carrier

Bumper, I re painted it to match.. I had the guy weld in a plate across the top so that when Hank jumps in and out of the back he won't stick his foot between the pipes and break a leg. It was an accident waiting to happen..

Here is the carrier while it dries...

I will post some when I get it all put together also....

Fab work done by Rock Solid Fabrication in Van Buren Arkansas. He will ship or meet within a 100 miles or so if you pay for his gas. Does a great job, does custom bumpers, flat fenders, sliders and more. Has CNC machine so he can custom it up pretty good if interested.. PM me for his number..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #161
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

More Tire Carrier Pics, spare tire is off my daughters old spare from her stock tires.. It is a little small.

I think I have room behind it for jerry cans and other items later on.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #162
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got up the nerve today to weld my 8.8 Axle tubes in place.. Doesn't look to bad, not really great either but I think it did the job. No cracked welds and I believe I was getting good penetration so it should be strong enough.

Done with a Lincoln Cracker Box 225 AC welder and 7018 Rods, and I did post heat some with a Map Gas torch..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #163
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Received my lube locker gasket yesterday but have not received the install kit from knowwhere2jeep.com. Been ordered for over a week now and have not even heard that it has shipped. I did send them an email yesterday so maybe I will hear something this week. I will be out of town on a work trip all week but if all parts come in I plan to do the swap this next weekend.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #164
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Still waiting on my 8.8 swap kit from knowwhere2jeep.com.. They were having some problems getting some of the kit together but shipped part of it out today overnight express at there expense for being slow. I thought that was cool of them.

So in the mean time I decided to tackle something I have been wanting to do for a while but was unsure of how it might turn out.. Painting my chrome wheels. I hate chrome so this afternoon I started on them. I roughed them up a little with a wire brush on my drill and then primered them with self etching primer, 2 coats. Then painted them with rustoleum flat black paint. Only got the front wheels done tonight but should finish the rest tomorrow.

Looks good but not sure how well the paint actually bonded to the wheel.

Before I started..

One center cap cleaned and one not..

Self Etching Primer

Black Paint applied

More pics to come tomorrow and after wheels are back on heep to see final results.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #165
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just read all the pages this thing is looking good nice build!!! Just subscribed!
Fuddmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arkansas

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.