My 94 YJ Power Steering Conversion - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 94 YJ Power Steering Conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 06-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #31
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Interestingly I went out and started the jeep. Immediately the wheel turned left to stop and a groaning was coming from what I am guessing was my gear box? What gives?

94_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm looking at mine and the high pressure line goes to front right hole on the gearbox and low pressure line that goes to the resevoir is the back left hole. Is that the way u have urs? Sounds like it is. After u let it run n take the cap off is there bubbles in the flood or is it all settles and even.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #33
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If I'm sitting in the drivers seat looking forward it would be that way but i was standing in front of the radiator looking down so i guess it depends on how your looking at it.... do you think that could make the difference........ and the groaning sound?
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #34
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_Yeti
If I'm sitting in the drivers seat looking forward it would be that way but i was standing in front of the radiator looking down so i guess it depends on how your looking at it.... do you think that could make the difference........ and the groaning sound?
That could Def make a diff, I was speaking like from the drivers seat/ firewall looking forward.
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #35
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ur pump would b sort of fighting the belt, if u haver hem backwards. It would be wanting to push the pulley in the other direction I would think but not 100% sure. Like it would b back feeding thru the system, I would think pushing the fluid the wrong way would not work lol switch em n see what happens. Either way it'll make a little noise at first til u get the air out. More of a whining tho...
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #36
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Snapped a couple pics.

This would be the headlight on the upper right and radiator on the left. High pressure on the right and low pressure on the left.

And this is from the drive shaft looking forward.
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #37
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
Ur pump would b sort of fighting the belt, if u haver hem backwards. It would be wanting to push the pulley in the other direction I would think but not 100% sure. Like it would b back feeding thru the system, I would think pushing the fluid the wrong way would not work lol switch em n see what happens. Either way it'll make a little noise at first til u get the air out. More of a whining tho...
Yea whining that sounds like it.....pushes the wheel though kind of crazy.
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #38
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having a really hard time telling which way it's facing in the pics. High pressure should b the one closest to the radiator and low pressure should b on the side closest to the driverside tire/ frame rail.
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #39
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
I'm having a really hard time telling which way it's facing in the pics. High pressure should b the one closest to the radiator and low pressure should b on the side closest to the driverside tire/ frame rail.
yes thats correct, thats how I have it. So it should be good to go crank her up huh? Or try the bleeding again? And just let it run with the cap off huh? I gotta say again man thanks for the help.
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #40
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just let it run for a few mins then turn it off n take the cap off for 10-15 mins. Let it run, take the cap off again n wait with it open. Just keep letting it run then sit with the cap open until the fluid no longer has bubbles. U can just run it with the cap open n it'll work itself out too but I've had it squirt out all over this way before too so I do it the other way now lol
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #41
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

And then hopefully the whining/ groaning will go away and I can try to cycle the wheels again?? Also, you think I should worry about the tension on the belt. To tell you the truth I didn't think this would be very involved I'm just wondering if I'm going to end up screwing up something else and costing myself more time and money. Neither of which I have much of and this is my DD. I apologize for being so problematic hopefully this will come in hand for someone else along the way.
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #42
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Something is definitely wrong. I ran up the engine.... Same groaning ran it for 55-60 seconds and groaning increased real dramatically real quick so I shut it off. Took a look under the hood and for a min there was a small amount of steam/ smoke coming from my power steering pump. I'm lost at this point. Seems like the fluid isn't properly lubricating the pump????? I dunno.....
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #43
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The tension needs to be relatively tight, when u press down on it with ur finger it should have about 1/8 of an inch movement downward to it. That means make it tighter then u think then back it off until it seems just a little slack. It needs to b tighter than most people think, as long as its lining up fine on ur water pump pulley u shouldn't have ne issues with it messing nething else up. Water pump pulley is the big one in the middle that the fan is attached to. When u do the tension, loosin the 2 bolts on the back so they r free. Then loosen the little nut on the adjuster in front ight under the pulley. Then take ur 1/2 wrench or 13mm and tighten the bolt on the end, the long one u threaded into right under the pump. Tightening it will tighten the belt. But before u do that, push the pump to the right toward ur driverside fender with the belt wrapped around it until it is generally tight, then put the top middle bolt in. Sorry I got out of order. Once u have the top bolt in adjust it like I said above n all should b good. Ull figure out how tight it should b after u do it once n it runs right. It can take a few tries...
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #44
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking ur belt has to be not tensioned correctly, if not only thing I would think is the pump is bad. Everything is hooked up correctly, if u get it tensioned right it should b fine. Don't worry about the squeezing it will for a little, that y I said turn it off n let it sit then turn it back on. If u just leave it running its going to squeal like a pig for awhile. Especially if the belt tension isn't correct n to b honest I doubt ur is. It take me a hand full of tries each time to get it right on, so don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen on the first few tries. When u take the cap off is there bubbles in the fluid? U sill haven't said and if there is its going to be squeeling until ur fluid looks flat and like y just poured it into a drinking glass. My guess is ur fluid looking all churned up, white n frothy on top because there's a lot of air still in there. Keep trying well get it workin if its te last thing we do haha
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #45
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Okay so I tightened my pump and pulley about 40 clicks with the old socket and that tightened it up quite a bit. Wheel still jerks but most of the groaning has gone but my pump is still getting hot.... Too hot to touch in all of probably 35 -45 seconds.... I think we're getting somewhere. Also before I forget on this last startup (45 secs) my fluid in the cap seemed clear I'm lettin it sit for a few right now until I get the courage to try again. Keepin my fingers crossed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.