My 94 YJ Power Steering Conversion - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 94 YJ Power Steering Conversion

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 06-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #16
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

He has the wrong pump, the pump he has is for 99+ when they changed the intake manifold on the 4.0s. The reason the pulley has holes is to stick the bolts thru, unlike ours which don't. The holes on that pump aren't threaded and u can't use a remote resevoir with it either. That extra bracket u have that u painted red is for the diff type of adjuster and to mount the idler pulley. They changed the way the belt adjusts on the newer 4.0 as well. I have an older style pump I could send ur way. But it's missing the high pressure fitting cuz I used it on mine. I can post a pic of the older pump to show u the shuttle differences but it takes sum adapting to make one of those fit ours. I run one from a 4.7 L grande cherokee becuz it's 500psi higher pressure and it mounts the same way as the one u have pictured. I had to drill and tap holes and grind on our stock bracket to get it to work on my 94 4.0. The older pumps only have 2 bolt holes on the back. The one u have has 3, it's def the newer type.

PA_YJ19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

okay guys I've made quite a bit of progress but now im stuck. I've got my new pump and pulley.... which was a real pain to put on btw. I've gotten all new hoses with attachments for all of my lines. and I've got the new box mounted and the steering column adjusted to fit. Ready to hook everything up and I'm now trying to mount the pump. I'm stuck....can't figure out how to mount the stupid thing to the existing brackets with the remaining hardware. The way it lines up is if I have the top mounting bolt in place then the bottom doesn't line up with the tension bracket at any point. It also doesn't allow for me to mount the tension bracket and on of my back bottom-ish mounting bolts...im sorry if that doesnt make much sense. Hopefully some pics could clarify......

94_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Haha I see, ur missing one small bracket still. There is a bracket that bolts to the front of the pump and also to the top middle bolt on the bracket that connects to the manifold. It sort of holds the hole thing in place.
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #19
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome..... I see...... Well any pics?? Or anybody know where I can order this gizmo??
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's mine, diff pump but u can see the small peice on the front that bolts to the pump and then to the bracket on ur manifold. That's y the pump has bolt holes one the front side of it too. I can def see y ur having problems lining it up.

image-2723029055.jpg
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cool okay well I wonder if napa or a yard might have this bracket or if im going to have to try to manufacture something myself. Thanks for all of the helps guys!!
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #22
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A 99 cherokee or earlier with the 4.0 should have the same bracket on it at the junkyard.
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #23
BuffaWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is why I bought a pump/ box/ reservoir from the same year YJ off of a forum member, and just went with new lines and a new pulley (other one was damaged a bit in shipping). It was a pain to install, but having power steering with the new 33s makes it worth it.

Probably could have saved a few pennies going with JY parts, but time is more valuable to me, as it's my DD.
BuffaWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #24
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I let you know what I find and how it turns out. Hopefully next update will be op checking this thing. So where all does this mounting bracket attach? At how many points i guess?? Im guessing that this thing mounts with that top bolt and then again with the tension bolt?
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #25
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have no front brackets. It's just bolted up to the rear bracket. It makes it harder to tension the belt, but how often do you do that? And it's been that way since I did the conversion.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #26
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It bolts behind the pulley, to the pump in 3 places. Then it bolts to the bracket that connects to ur manifold. And yes it is def missing in urs, glad to see urs lined up alright without it tho.
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So thanks for the heads up on the bracket. Finally got everything installed and filled it up with fluid. BUT, as soon as I turned the jeep on I could tell something was off. Sounded clunky?? If that makes sense. I don't think my belt is too loose or tight but I don't really know, there's a small amount of play in it. My reservoir seems to be over pressurizing though. After a minute the rig sounded just off so I shut it down. Went to start it back up because I thought maybe I was just being silly. Well I reached my hand through my steering wheel like a moron and when I started it back up the wheel jerked so violently all the way to the stops and I thought I broke my arm for a minute. So now as I ice my arm I'm wondering..... What gives???? Any ideas??
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did u bleed the system after filling it up? Put the front axle up on jack stands so the tires r off the ground and put the key in but don't turn the engine over just turn it on. Then turn it lock to lock a whole bunch of times in a row to burp the air out. Leave the cap off the resevoir while ur turning the wheel back n forth to let the air out.
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #29
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I guess I just figured I was going to do that after I let it idle for three mins ( I thought I read somewhere on here that it was recommended to do that). Either way, never got there. So this morning I just went out and did what you said PA I turned the key and turned the wheels a few times to their stops. Few times with the wheel and a few times by just pushing and pulling the tires. Now the wheel feels tight when I pull it so I assume I need to let some of that fluid settle. As I thought about it last night I was concerned if I have my routing correct. I have the supply from the reservoir going to the left (from looking from the front) port of my gear box. Then from the other port I have a line to my pump (the pressure side). Then the system closes from the return on the pump and on the res. That makes sense right???
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #30
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

bumpity bump

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.