My 94 YJ Power Steering Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 94 YJ Power Steering Conversion

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My 94 YJ Power Steering Conversion

I'm new here guys and gals so let me introduce myself. Excited to get in with the community, you guys seem to have a nice one. I'll get right to it. Bought a Jeep that seems to be most of the way there but I'm finding the deeper I dig the more I realize this is a 20 yr old vehicle and that most people probably don't take care of their rigs in quite the same OCD manner that I do (not that I don't understand what Jeeps are for ) . Either way, the first thing that caught my attention on the drive home was that there was an excessive amount of play in the steering wheel and that it was pretty hard to steer, especially at lower speeds. Come to find out, it doesn't have power steering. I know understand that this was fairly common but was surprised nonetheless. So first project will be just this. Replacing the steering box and adding power steering. Hopefully Ill figure out how to upload these pictures. I went the the JY and got the steering box off of a 1996 Grand Cherokee and a pump/ pulley they happened to have on the shelf. Also got the hoses and a few brackets. I was hoping I could kind of use this thread to keep track of my own progress and get some advise from as many of you as possible who may have some insight. So here goes..

img_1906.jpg   img_1905.jpg  
94_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Going to the yard today to get a new reservoir. Anyone know if I need a new belt? Also, still not sure what I have to do to get the old pump off (which I guess is just the manual steering pump???) and put the new one on. Don't have a tension meter and never messed with pulley's. Any ideas? More pics to come later today.
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

there is no pump involved in a manual steering set up

fill out your Jeep profile so we all know what you have...it's easier for us to help you out that way
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That is an idler, and you dont need a tension meter, the serpintine belt has pre-set tensioner, and yes you will need a belt for you model with power steering.

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think they sold u the wrong pump. That pumps looks to be the type that matches up to the 99+ intake manifold on the newer 4.0s. If the bolt holes in the pump itself do not have threads then its not the pump u want. U need a pump from a 98 or down 4.0 as they had threads in the holes and bolt to a bracket that connects to the manifold. Where as the one u have has holes and the bolts slide threw the holes and screw directly into the newer style of manifold.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a 2.5 or a 4.0. There is a big difference in the way the pumps are setup. 4.0 has a built in reservoir on the pump. 2.5 has a remote reservoir. You'll need the right pump.

You will need a new belt, for one with PS.

You'll need the right size lines (length) that correspond with the 4.0 or 2.5
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 and 2.5 use the exact same pump, regardless if the resevoir is remote or attached. They r both the same pump. Only thing that has ever changed is the mounting of it is diff on 99+ due to the manifold change.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The OP still can't use a pump with an attached reservoir if he has a 2.5L.
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
The OP still can't use a pump with an attached reservoir if he has a 2.5L.
my '88 2.5L has a power steering pump with an attached reservoir
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh that's right. The mpfi manifolds won't fit the pump with the built in reservoir.
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like the right pump to me.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Took a few pics today lets see if I can do this right.....

So I think I've got everything I need. I understand that I'll need to have my hoses remanufactured as I don't think they'll work as is. I guess my big question to you guys is whether or not that pulley on that ps pump looks a little big. I think compared to the one that is on there now it seems like I may have a problem getting the bigger one on. Also does that affect to rate at which that belt is turning is that going to screw with other stuff on the engine?? Advice appreciated. ALso if you guys think Im missing something please feel free to chime in. I still feel like im going in fairly blind on actually attaching the pump to the block in place of the (idler??)....
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a gear box and lines from a 96' grand cherokee and a pump off the shelf that they said would match to the YJ's. The reservoir is just a remote res I found at the JY from an 07 wrangler 4 door.
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #14
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

bumpity bump..
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I should have read your post closer. The pulley looks fine, but are you sure the pump will mount up? Here is what my pulley looks like.

If it fits, you will need a new belt. And I'm pretty sure you will need new hoses, designed to fit your engine configuration. I do like the reservoir. Much nicer than my Volvo reservoir.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.