My 94 rebuild thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 94 rebuild thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My 94 rebuild thread

Hi Guys & Gals

I am getting ready to do a tear down / rebuild of my 94 YJ 2.5l auto. My plan is to begin the process May 1st as I am waiting for the salt&sand get washed off the roads here so I can take my new car out of winter storage to be used as a DD. I bought the Jeep last year for cheap ($1500) for the sole purpose of a winter DD and to replace my 4x4 Tacoma that Toyota had bought back. It will most likely be cheaper to repair then to try and find another Jeep.. The main reason for this is to repair some rust damage to the frame. In order to pass inspection last fall i shoved some fiberglass "kitty hair" into the bad spots on the frame, smoothed it out with a grinder and applied a very heavy coat of undercoating the day before the MVI so it was still dripping wet for the mechanic that had to look underneath it (worked like a charm) The plan is to remove everything from the frame, cut out damaged sections / fab & weld in new metal. The old 2.5 liter engine runs like a top, compression is good, so other then a good cleaning no need for any repairs there. I hate the auto tranny but since my wife has trouble with a 5spd I will be sticking with it

Overall the frame seems fairly solid, but I realize that once I begin sandblasting the frame I may find its worse then I had thought!

In another thread here at JF it was suggested to use 3/16 steel for frame repair, does everyone agree??

Here's My YJ

Rust damage to driverside front axle leaf spring mount, notice the crack, there was actually a hole on the bottom of the rail inside the shackle but as i mention i filled it with fiberglass to get through an MVI

the rear crossmember that supports the gas tank is broken on both sides, tank is being held up by a tie down strap

the usual problem area isnt as bad as i have seen here at JF, although there is some rust along the botom of the rail here, hopefully i will be able to leave most of the metal intact here, notice the strap holding up the gas tank

Any tips are certainly welcome and I will update this build thread once i begin with pics at every stage. ( and most likely be begging for help)

My Save the YJ from the junkyard project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-94-rebuild-thread-747404/

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD

Last edited by trucknut; 12-02-2009 at 09:01 AM..
trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Started the project sooner then expected thanks to the nice weather. Everything came apart nice and easy,

removed front clip

off comes the body

tub clear of frame

rolling chassis

now time to remove the engine/tranny assembly

frame with everything removed, next step will be sandblasting... waiting on supplies

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747404

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD

Last edited by trucknut; 04-26-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Unread 04-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

here's the rust damage, the frame is upside down in all pics

drivers side back

driver side by center crossmember, the middle nut is broke free inside too...

drivers side front axle leaf spring shackle

steering box area.... both nuts for steering box bracket let go inside of the frame... had to cut off the bolts and feed them through the closest rust hole

some rust on passengers side rear rail as well

i think my best option is to plate over top of the rust instead of cuting out the metal, what do you guys think? i have had no luck finding a decent replacement frame around here

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You won't be able to use the stock rear drive shaft with SOA, it's about 5.5" of lift (plus however much the new leaves provide) so that's way up in SYE/CV territory.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Brads_nky_yj

Dude you already have everything off. Find a newer frame if ya can, that one is nasty.
Unread 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wow you guys in canada have real bad rust issues! that frame is swiss cheese.Blast it off and see how much of it is left,i would start looking for a frame though(it's honestly in reeeally bad shape,and you may have issues finding good metal to weld the patches to).

There are alot of different people in the world out of all of them,it's the normal ones that scare me the most!
jaywiz1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ i have been looking for a replacement frame for a few weeks now, they all seem to have heavy rust damage

since that last pic I have spent hours sandblasting and grinding to get most of it cleaned up no new holes where blasted through but its pretty thin in spots, I will take a picture tonight and post... I knew I had a severe problem when the rear crossmember supporting the gas tank broke and the tank fell down to the axle

I have a Miller wire feed mig welder and access to loads of free steel so the plan is to plate it on on all sides from the rear bumper to about the back of the transfer case area, and all four sides again up by the steering box, then rebuild the rear crossmember and rear bumper and finally fab some rear shock mounts (yah one broke off awhile ago), its a mess....

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
Unread 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
YeepieJeepie
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cool idea, lifting the body off with an engine hoist. I wondered if that would work.
YeepieJeepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeepieJeepie View Post
Cool idea, lifting the body off with an engine hoist. I wondered if that would work.
Thx, with no one around to help and knowing what a hurt back feels like that engine hoist is a godsend!!

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
Unread 05-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
metalroses
1989 YJ Wrangler 

nice

thats kool too bad i just have 18 years and cant do that type of things >.<
metalroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

with alot of time,and a huge amount of patence,and a welder it can be saved.You have a good plan,just go about a foot farther that you think you need to go,and make sure you get a solid weld to the spring mounts.Good luck man,i will stay tuned in to see how you made out.

There are alot of different people in the world out of all of them,it's the normal ones that scare me the most!
jaywiz1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywiz1977 View Post
with alot of time,and a huge amount of patence,and a welder it can be saved.You have a good plan,just go about a foot farther that you think you need to go,and make sure you get a solid weld to the spring mounts.Good luck man,i will stay tuned in to see how you made out.
time has been the problem lately... very busy at work but it should be quieting down soon... with any luck i will be able to pick up the steel later on this week and weld it in over the weekend. photobucket has been giving me grief uploading pics but i will keep trying

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
Unread 06-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That frame is rough man. There was one on craigslist a while ago but i think it was in Georgia.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with the frame, I'm sure plenty of steel can patch it but if you luckily find another one snag it, it might save you a lot of headache.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
chopperdave2200
1987 YJ Wrangler 

try this http://www.daveysjeeps.com/ I have not looked for your frame but I have looked around has a lot of good salvage Jeep parts
chopperdave2200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.