My 88 YJ build. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 88 YJ build.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
Salt222

Like the fenders and the flares.

Salt222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #17
BigDub
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm currently restoring/rebuilding a YJ, sure do wish I had some of your space and equipment.

It's going to look real good when it's done, practically brand new.
BigDub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys. As far as being practically brand new that was what I was going for. I don't ever plan on selling this jeep and really didn't want to go out and buy a brand new one so I just decided to make mine "new". Plus I do not want to break down on the trail because this will be a trail rig as my DD during the good weather here in TX.

Couple more pictures before I post pictures of it at the body shop.
The first picture was right after we broke in the cam. Reminds me of the movie "Christine"

phone-pic-2-003.jpg

For Christmas my parents got me the M/T black rings for my wheels. Really liked the contrast of the black rings but my painter had other ideas. You will see that later

photo-2-10-.jpg

Loaded on the trailer about to head to the body shop. A very good friend of mine, Joey Brewer of BMF Rats and Rods did the body work and paint.

photo-4-.jpg
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So now its time to send it off to paint. The day I have been waiting for. About 4 years ago I sold my 67 GTO to help pay for some business related bills. I also did a frame off restoration on this GTO and was my pride and joy. It was blue with white interior. The color was a mid 90's GM blue that they used on camaro, firebirds and corvettes. It is called medium quazar blue metallic. I decided to paint the jeep that color to pay homage to my GTO.

I decided to spray raptor liner on my inner fenders instead of leaving them the way they come from MetalCloak.

phone-pic-2-020.jpg
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Prep time for paint. Joey painted the inside of the corner guards and the area of the tub where they are going to be bolted to in a heavy duty black that the truck shop uses to paint their large trucks and buses.

phone-pic-2-014.jpg

phone-pic-2-016.jpg

And the crew at BMF taping it off. That was an ordeal to say the least.

phone-pic-2-017.jpg
phone-pic-2-018.jpg
phone-pic-2-024.jpg
phone-pic-2-025.jpg
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A little teaser picture of the color.

phone-pic-2-023.jpg

phone-pic-2-031.jpg
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #22
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

love the color, and the metalcloaks

...but your front shackles are on upside down...the short leg of the shackle goes on the top at the front so the center bolt prevents spring inversion, short leg towards the bottom at the rear so the shackle doesn't hit the rear crossmember
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
axxxgijoexxxa

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin good I really like that color!
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
love the color, and the metalcloaks

...but your front shackles are on upside down...the short leg of the shackle goes on the top at the front so the center bolt prevents spring inversion, short leg towards the bottom at the rear so the shackle doesn't hit the rear crossmember

Tried turning them "right side up" they hit on the mount that is welded to the frame. Left side is good but I had to replace the right side cause I cracked the mount. I sent a picture of it to a poster over on Wrangler forum and he may post here also, Ibuildembig, and he said I was fine running it like that. Had no problem this weekend with it but thanks for pointing that out for me.
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

And the semi finished product. I still have to get my seats in, the upgraded roll cage built and my harness. Just kind of ran out of money. But what I really wanted to accomplish in the first "phase" is to have the drive train as stout as I possibly could have gotten it. This past weekend we went to Sanderson TX down in the Big Bend area and the jeep did great. Ran 70mph down the highway in 5th gear turning about 2300rpm. Out on the trail the suspension was smooth and responsive. Out on the rocks the lockers worked perfectly and the low gear was a nice to have. All in all I have to say that the final product was exactly what I had planned back in August. Did have a couple of issues though. My rear shocks are too long, we kept bottoming out. I had an idea this was going to happen and already have a plan in place to fix it. Also I was planning on rebuilding the 8.8 after the trip to Sanderson due to that was the only part in the drive train that had not been gone through. We lost the pinion bearing and seal and slung gear lube all over the underside of the jeep. Thank goodness I trailered it down there instead of flat towing. I have pretty much decided against ever flat towing another vehicle. So enjoy these last pictures and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Thank you all for taking the time to look over this build thread. This build was honestly a build of love and I am very happy with the way it turned out.
phone-pic-2-026.jpg

phone-pic-2-028.jpg

phone-pic-2-032.jpg

phone-pic-2-036.jpg

phone-pic-2-039.jpg
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures from Sanderson TX.

sanderson-2013-006.jpg

sanderson-2013-015.jpg

sanderson-2013-037.jpg

sanderson-2013-039.jpg

sanderson-2013-047.jpg

sanderson-2013-052.jpg
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #27
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxxgijoexxxa View Post
Lookin good I really like that color!
Thanks on the comments about the color. I really like it too and think the tan and blue really go together.
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you get those tube fenders? My fenders are starting to rust away under the old rubber fenders and may as well cut 'em off and put something awesome on.

Great build and color!
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #29
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix85182 View Post
Where did you get those tube fenders? My fenders are starting to rust away under the old rubber fenders and may as well cut 'em off and put something awesome on.

Great build and color!
They are MetalCloak fenders. They replace the entire factory fender. Innner's and all.
And thank you on the comment about the build and color.
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #30
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

On the way back from the ranch down in Sanderson the rear pinion seal took a crap on me and slung gear lube all under the rear of the jeep. That was one component I did not rebuild but was planning on it after my trip. In the next couple of days I will be installing new bearings in the differential (ARB) and also installing a superior gear c-clip eliminator and axles. Started on it this evening and will post pictures as I go.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.