My 88 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 88 yj

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
dlebo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My 88 yj

Soo i just recently bought an 88 yj with a 4.2l i6. I have noticed a pretty bad leak coming from the rear main seal area. I have not had time to pull it apart yet but that is what i am thinking it is. the engine has 330k kms (i am in canada) but it was also sitting for about six months. Now I know i have the know how to fix this problem but I have been reading on multiple online spots about how to do it. The only question i really have is whether I have to loosen all main caps or just the rear main cap?? and if it is just the rear main cap do I still retorque all of them when I am done or seeing as it would only be the outside do I only have to retorque that one cap?

dlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i would just worry about what you touch
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Another tip is to drain your oil the day before you do the job. Otherwise you will have oil dripping on you as you work.

I released a couple of the mains. It will not hurt to check the torque of the others.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

before you tear into anything you might not need to, are you SURE it's the RMS?

if the 4.2 is anything like the 2.5 and 4.0, often times the offender is actually the rear portion of the valve cover, dripping down the back and resembling a RMS leak.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was leaking from the one of the oil sending units above the starter. Looked like a RMS at first. It's about the only thing that went right with my junk = ).
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
before you tear into anything you might not need to, are you SURE it's the RMS?

if the 4.2 is anything like the 2.5 and 4.0, often times the offender is actually the rear portion of the valve cover, dripping down the back and resembling a RMS leak.
x2.
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
TimYJ

Would anyone know if and what year of Cherokee model tie rods would fit my 89 yj?
TimYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimYJ View Post
Would anyone know if and what year of Cherokee model tie rods would fit my 89 yj?
welcome to the boards... first, please fill out your profile so we all know just what you're working with.

next, when asking a question, it's best to start your own thread on it for a couple reasons:
- not to "thread-jack" someone else's thread
- asking your question within someone else's thread, your question is likely to get lost as nobody will know the question is in here (it won't show up on the main forum list)

as for your actual question, sorry, I don't know
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

x3 on checking if your valve cover is leaking. I'd also see about your transmission input seal as well. Once I dealt with those two, no more oil around the rear main seal area.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown73 View Post
x2.
x3?

I think i have an RMS leaking as well. I did notice the valve cover was leaking pretty bad.. all the bolts to the rear of the cover were loose.

I bought a dye and added it in the oil, would be nice i guess if it wasnt that RMS.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
dlebo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So it definitely was the rms. Shortly after i posted this my jeep started puking oil after a small back road drive. Got it fixed and now onto the next issues... Worn out suspension and a problem witb some pinging and lack of power... But have good compression... Just keep moving forward and by the time i get it all fixed it should be time to do it all over again. ;-)
dlebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.