My 88 Jeep snorkel setup - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 88 Jeep snorkel setup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #31
Daniel-YJ

looks good!

greetings from germany

Daniel-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #32
Weekender1969
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I followed a signature link here and it is intresting reading .

You got me thinking with this write up . I understand the concept and all, but my real question is. Do you guys actually get in water that deep? If so what do you do about the dash i.e., radio, gauges, controls, and not mention, driver and passengers? Do you have the tub all sealed up or just try to go through as fast as you can before the tub floods?
Just curious in case I ever get to much liquid courage in the vicinity of a pond or mud hole.
Dale
Weekender1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #33
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

my quesation is, how do you go about sealing up the rest of the crap under the hood, distributor, fuse box and all that stuff, my last truck was so damn tall I wouldnt have thought about crossing water deep enough to swamp it, so I am a little dumb on this
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #34
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Coat all electrical, spark plugs, sensors, etc. with Dilectric Grease. This will waterproof everything electrical. You can silicone around the distributor if needed.
Unread 02-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #35
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak331
I finally got some pics of my snorkel setup. If anyone is thinking of doing the same thing, i would definitely recommend a K&N air filter to help the engine breathe. Also you have to relocate the overflow bottle for the radiator. I havent done that yet, but i am using a 1 quart catch can from my race car.

^^^^^AS YOU CAN SEE IN THE ABOVE PIC, THE SNORKLE SETUP WORKS.
THE WATER STAIN ON MY SOFT UPPER DOORS WAS WHERE THE WATER WAS.

P.S. I picked this 94 YJ for $700 Do you think it was worth it?
I am going to attempt to install one similar to this on my 91 4.0, except since my hood is already got a scar on the right front, I was thinking of sealing up the factory intake hole in the front of the airbox and going straight out the side of the airbox in the space right by the left rear hold down clamp for lid and then coming straight out thru the hoodmaking a 90 back and then following the windshield frame up, I already have a K&N drop in, and I think I can cut the hood and roll the lip back so there aren't any sharp edges, and possibly use some rubber to seal the gap around the hole and the tubing. This way I don't make any holes in the body, and don't have to relocate the overflow bottle.
Can anyone think of any negative effects this may have? Because I truly cannot.
Here is a rendering of how I plan to set it up.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2571663/2
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE

Last edited by jaw41272; 02-19-2007 at 05:56 PM..
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #36
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

very cool. I was looking at them and they like $360 for a set up like that.
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #37
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Does Skip sell that Dilectric Grease?

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #38
bulljeeper
1986 CJ7 

has anyone made a snorkel like this for the motorcraft 2100 carburetor
bulljeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #39
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulljeeper
has anyone made a snorkel like this for the motorcraft 2100 carburetor

You can use the setup i made for the mc2100. all you have to do it get a longer hose that goes from the air hat to the air box, or make one yourself.. it is pretty straight foward...
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Engine under construction again, 4.3 out and 5.7 going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here.....Homemade Snorkel
Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here.....4.3 Chevy Conversion
KrwlinYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #40
Dadude1083

Ok, so a couple questions:

1st: How do you know what to connect the snorkel to under the hood? What specifficaly does it attach to in order for the engine to breath?

2nd: How do you switch from belt to electric fan (list of what else you have to do before deep diving)

3rd: What would you have to do with your radio, CD player, etc. inside ? If water were to get that high, it would ruin it..

-Thanks
Dadude1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #41
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadude1083
1st: How do you know what to connect the snorkel to under the hood? What specifficaly does it attach to in order for the engine to breath?
if you read all of the above post and if you click on the link in my sig you will see what you need to get and use to connect your snorkel.

Quote:
2nd: How do you switch from belt to electric fan (list of what else you have to do before deep diving)
if you do a search on electric fan setups you will find many ways of hooking up and setting up an electric fan in your rig.

Quote:
3rd: What would you have to do with your radio, CD player, etc. inside ? If water were to get that high, it would ruin it..
if you tub is pretty tight and you have all holes and stuff sealed you dont have to worry about too much water getting into the jeep, also these setups are designed to help you get across deep water crossing and not designed for a jeep to do deep sea diving, if that is what you are planning then i would suggest getting a submarine,, and if you plan on driving in water that deep for a long time then i think your radio, cb, etc should be placed into a water tight compartment and sealed, just like a black box found on air planes.

if you look or search thru some of the pictures that i have and others have, you will see that i went thru some deep stuff and i have never had any problems with my electronics. and if i was to get stuck in deep water and was to fill my tub that high , i would be looking for a new radio, cb, etc. at least my motor would be safe and i would be able to make it home, once i got my jeep out of the water and dried off.
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Unread 02-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #42
justjimmyit
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was wondering how much this set up would cost you roughly?
justjimmyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #43
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjimmyit View Post
I was wondering how much this set up would cost you roughly?
This setup cost me about $75.00 dollars, and that is with all the stuff from the junkyard..

Unread 02-15-2008, 02:52 AM   #44
98formulaLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdfrkss View Post
This setup cost me about $75.00 dollars, and that is with all the stuff from the junkyard..
including the Jeep? lol

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.