My 88 Jeep snorkel setup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 88 Jeep snorkel setup

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
KrwlinTJ
Wasting time & money

1997 TJ Wrangler 

88 Jeep snorkel Write-up

This version of DIY snorkel a modified version of the ones found on the internet. So I can not take complete credit for this snorkel setup.

This Snorkel setup was designed and fabbed to work with 1988 Jeep Wrangler, but will work with other models with little modification. I know you can use this setup on a 1997 Jeep TJ, for I have done it on my friendís jeep.

Now on to the parts list, most pieces can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, or a plumbing supply house (this is where I got all my piece of the puzzle).

(1) 1- 8 ft piece of 2" black abs pipe.
(2) 1- 2" rubber 90*
(3) 1- metal pipe hanger (cooper or steel)
(4) 1- metal strap hanger
(5) 1- 90* Street 90 elbow
(6) 1- 45* elbow
(7) 1- 4" to 2" drain adapter
(8) 1- 4" drain cover to fit inside the adapter above.
(This is where you can get creative and either do it they way I did or you can
just use a rechargeable air filter on top.)
(9) 1 can of abs glue (rain or shine)
(10) 1 box of 2" flexible pipe.
(11) 2 2in abs couplings
(12) 1 2 1/2 " Hole saw

The following parts I have gotten at the auto recyclers...

1- Air hat off a Cadillac with the 4.7 front wheel drive

2- Air filter hose from a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee

3- Air box (or can) from a 1988 Dodge Raider

Now when I did this snorkel setup, my 1988 Jeep wrangler did not have a air filter box, just a stock air cleaner that sat on top of the carb. I have also done a 4.3 Chevy conversion, so this is why I got the parts from the auto recyclers. So your setup will vary. You can use the original air box that comes with your jeep, but the hose connection will be different.
Steps as follows. (Have pictures for you to follow and see the finished install.)

#1 locate all parts for your Jeep.

#2 pick which side you want to mount the snorkel to, driver or passenger side.

#3 carefully look on the inside of the fenders and make sure you have clearance to drill your 2 1/2in hole. Once you determined that you have the clearance, proceed to mask off the fender with tape and mark your location. As you can see from the picture below is where I chose to drill my hole.

#4 once you have marked your hole, proceed to drill the hole. This part makes most people cringe and shy away from performing this setup.

#5 Once you have the hole drilled, take a file and smooth out the hole and make sure you have no sharp edges. Then you can take a fuel line or vacuum hose and split the hose down the middle the long way. Once you have done these steps, you can take some paint and paint the hole, to keep rust from forming. Once the paint is dry, you can take the hose that you have cut, and wrap it around the edge of the opening. This is just to make it look professional.

#6 When you have finished step 5 then you can take you rubber 90* elbow and place it into the hole. Now you can proceed to mock up the rest of the piping. What I did is cut a 4ft piece of 2in abs pipe and place it along the windshield, from there you can see what couplings and elbows you want to use. What I did is use a 45* elbow and attached it to the bottom of the pipe. From there I measured how long of a piece of pipe I needed to connect the elbow to the rubber 90* elbow was needed. Once I got the measurement I cut the pipe and then dry fitted all the pieces to together. Once I got everything lined up and where I wanted it, I took a 2in pipe hanger and placed it onto the pipe and then marked where I want to attach it the body. (as you can see from the picture (#4), this is where I placed the hanger and drilled it thru the body and attached it from the inside to the hanger. Once I had this step done, I took the street 90 and place the 4in to 2in drain adapter to the street 90 elbow and took it placed it against the pipe that runs up the side of the windshield to get a visual on how high I want the the air grabber to stick above the roof line. As you can see I chose to place it about even with the roof line so that I would not catch anything with it, while I was out in the woods. Once I had it to where I wanted it, I marked the abs pipe and pulled it off and cut it. Then I attached the street 90 with the drain adapter onto the pipe and see if my measurement was good. This part takes a couple of times to get it right where you want it. Then I took the 2 in metal strap hanger and placed it up by the street 90 for an upper support, marked the hanger, trimmed it, and then drilled a hole in the strap and then into the windshield frame, then tapped the hole and installed a stainless steel bolt with a little bit of silicon on the threads of the bolt and install the bolt thru the hanger and onto the windshield frame.

#7 once you have everything cut and dry fitted, I pulled everything apart and started to glue everything together. What you want to make sure is you do this step one piece at a time and have it attached to the body to make sure you have everything lined up and facing the right way.

#8 once you have everything glued together, tighten all the straps to the abs and then when this step is done, I took the drain cover and applied glue to the edge of the drain cover and slid the cover into the 4in drain adapter and leveled the lines on the grille.

This takes care of all the install on the outside of the jeep for the snorkel. The following picture is for reference to what I used and done on my jeep.
1- rubber 90* elbow
2- piece of abs pipe
3- 22* elbow
4- Metal pipe clamp
5- Piece of 2in abs pipe
6- Street 90 elbow
7- 4in to 2in drain adapter
8- 4in drain cover or grille
9- the number is missing but it is the strap hanger under #6

Here are just a few close up pictures of the setup.

Now onto the inside of the snorkel setup. Now remember this part will differ from your jeep for I used all the parts to make the snorkel work with 4.3 Chevy setup that I have. I went to the junk yard and got the following stuff, air box from a 1988 Dodge Raider, hose from a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, air hat from a Cadillac 4.7 litre.
As you can see from the picture, you can see where I mounted everything to make the setup work. Then once I had everything mounted where I wanted it and it will work. I took a piece of 2in hose and put a coupling with a piece of the 2in abs pipe and glued it to one end of the hose. I attached it to the rubber 90* elbow and tightened it down. Then I ran the hose up to the air box and used a rubber 2in coupling and attached it to the air box. Then I measured the hose and cut it to size. Once I had the hose cut I attached another 2in abs coupling to the end of the hose and attached it to the rubber coupling that is attached to the air box. Then I tightened everything down, and made sure all my hoses and stuff away from any heat source so not to melt anything.

From the following picture you can see #1 where I attached the 2in hose to the air box.

The following picture is what I have done on my jeep and your setup will differ from mine

1- air box from a 1988 Dodge Raider
2- hose from a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3- Air hat from a Cadillac 4.7 ( I donít remember what year it came from Sorry)

Now if you are using your stock air box, you have to get a couple of different abs fitting to get it to attach to your air box. 1 2in coupling with a threaded end on it. You need a lock nut for the 2 in threaded coupling. Do the same thing with hose and route it to your air box and cut it to length. Then attach the 2 in threaded coupling to the end of the hose and mark your air box where you want the hose to attach to your air box. Once you have it marked then take a 2in hole saw and drill the hole into the box. You want to take the air box out first and remove the air horn that is on the front of the air box and make a cover for it and seal the hole up. Then reinstall the air box and Attach the hose to the air box and tighten down the lock ring to the threaded coupling. Once you have it tightened down take some silicon and apply around the threaded coupling where it meets the box. Once you have everything done, and all the silicon dried, you can enjoy your nearest deep water hole.

This was brought up by another fellow jeeper that I forgot to mention. Here is a list of other things that should be addressed before you go deep water crossing or just all out playing in the waters.. Thanks to Richmond 88 YJ:

Don't forget the other stuff you need to waterproof and seal up before you go deep diving..

-Breather lines for axles, trans and TC
-Starter
-Distributor
-Coil
-Vac systems - PVC, x-flow etc.
-Change from belt driven to elec fan
-Computer and Relay housing
-Alternator

Now if you have any question, please feel free to email or post your question and I will try to answer them.

4 Cyl out 6 Cyl going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here...
Homemade Snorkel

Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here...4.3 Chevy Conversion

Last edited by KrwlinTJ; 01-01-2007 at 10:59 PM..
KrwlinTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna do the same setup to my 95, I love the way yours turned out. The only thing that's going to be nerve racking is when it's time to holesaw.

Chip
Unread 12-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
KrwlinTJ
Wasting time & money

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezer
I'm gonna do the same setup to my 95, I love the way yours turned out. The only thing that's going to be nerve racking is when it's time to holesaw.

Chip
ahh just put on a blind fold and drill away..
Let me know when you want to make the snorkel and you can come over and i will help you make it..

Homemade Snorkel

Unread 12-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I guess that's why they make flexible tubing.
Unread 12-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

1 question, what do you do when it rains? or rather, what do you do when it down pours rain? I would think alot of water would build up in there.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I guess you'd have to drill a hole at the lowest point or on the Elbow as a drip leg.
Unread 12-30-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
KrwlinTJ
Wasting time & money

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw
1 question, what do you do when it rains? or rather, what do you do when it down pours rain? I would think alot of water would build up in there.
i have this setup on my jeep for a month, and it has poured and rain here alot and i have not seen any problems with the setup. I did drill a small hole under the the air grabber to drain water out, but it is not needed.

no other holes are needed in the lowest part of the elbow, for this only is an entrance for water to get into when you are crossing deep water. Now if you sit there with a hose and pour water into the pipe then this will cause a problem. if you look at the arb snorkel it is almost the same thing. if you want to get creative you can put a brim over the top of the air grabber that is your choice. I found that the way i have it setup works just fine..

Homemade Snorkel

Unread 12-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I already wrote down my parts list Rob, The YJ's getting a snorkel !
Unread 12-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
KrwlinTJ
Wasting time & money

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezer
I already wrote down my parts list Rob, The YJ's getting a snorkel !
kewl like i said before. if you want help just bring the jeep to my house and i will help you build it.
and we can even build on for your tj..v

Homemade Snorkel

Last edited by KrwlinTJ; 12-30-2006 at 09:05 PM..
Unread 12-30-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
cueball

i would be careful with your mounting brackets.. metal on metal (especially different kinds), will cause rust. get a thin rubber washer to sandwich in between.

Hello to the New - 1999 TJ Sport 4.0L auto.. stock for now
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
KrwlinTJ
Wasting time & money

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball
i would be careful with your mounting brackets.. metal on metal (especially different kinds), will cause rust. get a thin rubber washer to sandwich in between.
there is no metal to metal contact between the mounting brackets. everything has a coat of paint between it.. But if you want to you can use what ever you want between any mounting bracket you want...

Homemade Snorkel

Unread 12-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #12
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

is this for the 4.2
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
KrwlinTJ
Wasting time & money

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
is this for the 4.2
you can make it work with any engine combination you want. you will just have to fab up a way to connect the snorkel to your carb.. If you wanted to you can get the 2bbl to 4bbl adapter and use the air hat from the cadillac and that would work. just make sure you use gaskets between the adapters and air hat to get a tight seal..

Homemade Snorkel

Unread 01-01-2007, 09:50 AM   #14
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdfrkss
btt^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back up? Ok, I 'll weigh in..

Nice effort, not many folks would snorkel a carb. That's a lot of plumbing..

Don't forget the other stuff you need to waterproof and seal up before you go deep diving..

-Breather lines for axles, trans and TC
-Starter
-Distributor
-Coil
-Vac systems - PVC, x-flow etc.
-Change from belt driven to elec fan
-Computer and Relay housing
-Alternator
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #15
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

wonder if stacy would mind me putting one on her '02 grand???

looks good rob!
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.