My 87' Yj Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 87' Yj Build Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 07-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My 87' Yj Build Thread

So my Jeep build all started about two years ago i got it right after i got my license. Originally got it for a couple cases of wine. It hadn't ran in 6 years so we were worried at first. Got it home on a tow dolley, and got it started the next day. Had some wires swapped up at the starter solenoid. Ran like ****, hardly idled, then we decided it was time to go with the Howell Throttle body injection, and got those kinks worked out (kinda) since then just been building it. Check it out heres day 1 the pick up

Hbeaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

First thing i did was paint the damn top, couldnt stand that hideous brown color, get it running, and clean it up a little, took the top off to get it painted and rolled around with the top off for the day

Unread 07-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Next thing was to get the two cracked front tires replaced, and put the top back on.

Unread 07-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Finally i got to take my jeep up to my cabin for the first time, and luckily we got some snow

took it up again for chirstmas later in the year, and was impressed with its abilities, with the little lunchbox locker and in 2wd i made it all the way up to the top of the ridge without a problem in about a foot of snow
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Next i thought it would be appropriate to ditch the chrome 7 inch wheels for some 8 inch black steelies, and toss on some 33's that were on my scout and put the 32's i had on the jeep and put them on my scout, and got rid of the lift shackles, and put in a 4 inch rough country suspension lift

Unread 07-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got sick of looking at the stock front bumper on the jeep, and didnt have the money to buy one (considering i was 16). Then i came up with my great idea, when i was 15 i built a nice stinger bumper for my Scout 80. Decided i would steal it from the scout and modify it to make it fit the jeep, so here you have it, my home made bumper with some lights and the hi-lift jack (painted black) all on the front of my jeep

Unread 07-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Last summer i got inspired by a local jeep club member to build my rig even more, This made me start fantasizing about an axle swap and going SOA. Thanks to E_rock and histhread ( www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/waggy-d44-axle-swap-yj-189711/ ) on the grand wagoneer axle swap, he truly inspired me to go front and rear 44's. So as a christmas present my parents bought me a set of axles that i found over craigslist. I rebuilt the front with my fathers help, although i was the one that did all the grinding and cutting removing all the trac bar mounts, all the leaf perches, and turning all the drums and rotors in auto shop, bead blasting my rotors, and then painting them.

Unread 07-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here's what the jeep looked like just before i swapped in the axles

Unread 07-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Next on the list was getting them actually under the jeep. This took me a total of about 6 work days, it was alot of work, but here are the pictures of the rear end

Got a set of some 35 BFG KM2's for my graduation present, mounted on some 6 lug steelies (to fit the 44's from the grand wagoneer), 10 inch rims, 4 inch backspacing, wanted to go with a deep dish rim to make up for the couple inches lost in the width of the rear axle, although the front axle is actually wider than the stock YJ 30 as you will see later

Those 35's sure do make that 44 look small

Now if you look closely at the above two pictures you can see the difference in the lift height, first i put in the whole 7 leave wagoneer spring pack, which with SOA and the lift from the spring pack gave it about a 9 inch lift which was a bit to high for me, so i took out the bottom three springs, and it sat there nicely for a couple days then it began to settle, so then i put the 5th leaf back in the spring pack and bolted it up, today i found out its quite a stiff ride now, so if you are considering doing this, and using grand wagoneer front springs in the rear, there is your warning

and finally the view from the side not sure if this is before or after the spring pack was adjusted though
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Now the start to the front end, I purchased a warrior "shackle reversal system" of some guy on craigslist, incase you don't know what this is, basically it give you a new mount for the front end to hang the leaf spring from, that way you can mount the shackle behind the spring, Why you ask, it helps your jeep drive straight down the road and makes the front end much softer (not in ride so much as in hitting objects, takes alot of the shock).

Removed the front axle! not nearly half the battle by any means

Now here came the FUN part (btw the fun was entirely sarcastic), anyways im refering to the four hours or so of cutting and grinding the old mounts off the frame in 95 degree weather. Gotta love those sparks but finally we finished installing the mounts for the reverse shackle kit

And finally by the end of day one on the front end we called it quits for the night after finishing up welding the mounts on
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Next day the jeep went back together...minus rear shocks, front sway bar, steering, brakes, e brakes (needed to swap out yj e brake cables for the waggy's) , and a few other things. but thats besides the point, Here is me and my father's work on the front end

I LIKE THE RED CALIPERS

Thats all i got for now, I guess ill have to take some more pictures tomorrow of how i did my front sway bars, and steering for anyone who might be interested, i mean its apart of my build, doesn't it belong in here? oh and some pictures of my bumper back on there. Let me know what you think
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:08 AM   #12
JFox21
1996 ZJ 

Looks sweet Hayden! I'll stop by and check it out soon.

Sophomore at Santa Clara University
JFox21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #13
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dude, the jeep looks great. Congrats again on the axle swap and SOA.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
jeepKY
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice, I love the burnt orange. Well done on the SOA.
jeepKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #15
ktwnxj
1987 XJ Cherokee 

next up: trimmin the rear fenders lol
ktwnxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.