My 87 Wrangler Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 87 Wrangler Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 08-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
87_YJ_Knight
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My 87 Wrangler Build

Hey guys,
This may be the least exciting YJ Build thread on the board but I want to be able to track my status over time and have a record of where I started and what I have done. Here is what I have to work with.

Aside from the lift shackles and a new carburetor this thing is pretty much stock as far as I know, but I haven't really dug into it yet.

My first real project should arrive next week, I ordered a:
Genright Rear cross member plate kit.

Since I have a YJ the frame tie-ins don't bolt directly to the frame like they do on most vehicles, so I plan to have the new cross member plate welded to the frame, and I will probably mod the tie-ins so that they will fit between the shock mount and the cross member so that they can be welded to the frame as well.
My thinking is that once this is done I should have the strength in the rear to mount my hitch receiver for now, and then pretty much any aftermarket bumper that I may want in the future.

(I found a receiver hitch for pretty cheap, the one stipulation that the wife put on me when I proposed getting a jeep is that she wants to still be able to go out to the river in my boat, so I have to be able to tow a bass boat)

My next project will be adding family bars to my existing roll cage and adding strength to the rear of the roll cage.

I still don't know enough to know what I do or do not want to do for sure, but from a beginners standpoint I can see that I probably want to do a ford 8.8 swap and an SOA lift.

I have already done a couple of small things I will post images when I get a chance.

Should be fun, I welcome any input from those more experienced than I am, (pretty much anyone).

Thanks!

87_YJ_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
87_YJ_Knight
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So I have a few more pictures....

I removed the plastic chrome inserts from the grill... yuck..

I added KC Lights:

(I am going to move them when I get a front bumper and winch but this project got the wiring to the front)

I dumped the full soft top and got a Bestop strapless bikini top:

Installed a Rugged Ridge fold and tumble rear seat in black diamond, and some Rugged Ridge lap belts:

When I bought the Jeep they had the footman loop secured by one screw and flipped over and the rear view mirror was attached with a single screw in the other hole that was meant for the loop. it was useless because of vibration and being mounted with a single screw it was impossible to adjust. I took a piece of a hinge that had a similar hole patter and made a mounting bracket for the rear view mirror. I am too tall to have the mirror on the windshield. I thought this came out pretty nice.

And finally I removed my bumperette's and the mopar 1 1/4" receiver. hopefully I will receive the cross member plate that I ordered soon.
Unread 09-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
87_YJ_Knight
1987 YJ Wrangler 

And the CrossMember plate is on, along with a hitch.

Installation was very simple. Instructions were right on, I did have to make a couple holes bigger with a drill for perfect fit but it was an easy install.
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

You don't want a SOA to many issues . go with a 4" lift Isuzo Dana 44 rear or Ford 8.8 SYA kit and a longer driveshaft.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Auto or Stick? The 87,88 sticks are bad news Swap both the tranny and transfere case out if you have a stick.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
87_YJ_Knight
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What tranny and transfer case would make a good replacement?
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
aaron580
2006 LJ Wrangler 

AX-15 and NP231 that hooks to it
aaron580 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.