My 8.8 Build: Young and Dumb - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 8.8 Build: Young and Dumb

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 04-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #61
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
Those perches look awesome, man. You did a very good job! I might send mine to you to get welded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter1 View Post
keep up the good work
Thanks! Feel free too send them out

Got a lot done last night.. The goal was to pull the turdy five and get the 8.8 mocked up.

I started working alone but soon a crowd began to gather..

The obligatory 'pulling the turdy' picture

Got shorter T-case bolts and got it back to stock height for the SYE.

Hold it right there, I know what you're thinking. "Why didn't you do a tummy tuck?"

Well before you ask I'll explain my reasoning..

1. It really isn't necessary for the wheeling I do right now, even though I want to do it.
2. Since I'm eventually doing the 5.3 Vortec swap, I'm trying to put as little money as I can into this engine and trans.
3. I'm getting sick of spending money...

Something seems to be missing here..

Got the springs and everything mounted up to the 8.8

If you look closely, you can see the turdy five sulking in the background..

Just the U-bolts holding everything on, the perches aren't welded.

The plan was to get the 8.8 under and still be able to rotate the pinion, didnt work out quite as planned though.

Put on another buddies' 31's so we could just roll the 8.8 under the jeep

Trying to set the pinion angle here..

I say trying because all we ended up doing was getting a pretty good estimate of the angle I wanted it at.

Which was 18 degrees..

Then we pulled the axle back out, set the pinion level..

And then put the angle finder on the perches..

17-18 degrees was about right since I wanted the pinion pointed at the output of the T-case (SYE)

Then I tacked in the perches and shock mounts

I positioned the shock mounts so they'll be flush with the bottom of the axle

Got the turdy back in to the jeep so I can drive and stopped here for the night

JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #62
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just a suggestion.... You might want to wait until you get that SYE installed before you go and burn those perches on permanately. The reason I say that is your t-case output is going to be different. I just went through this myself. A lot of guys will tell you to point the 8.8 pinion straight at the t-case and some will say 2* degrees down ( to account for axle wrap during acceleration). I went the 2* degrees down route and I dont get any vibes. Im not saying you have to listen to my advice, just reconsider. I know this is your dd and you want it done right cause those perches are awfully hard to move once you burn it all together. As always keep up the good work
Unread 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #63
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

how much money are you in on it so far? im looking at doing this soon but i already have a cv shaft and sye so that wont cost me any money
dakota123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #64
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with skyj, dont burn them on permanently yet until the SYE is on there. With a CV DS, pointing straight at the TC is fine, with a non CV DS, 2* down is about right.
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #65
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great documentation and work.

And I'm diggin' that green pumpkin.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #66
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

be doing this today... woot woot..... great writeup

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #67
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Just a suggestion.... You might want to wait until you get that SYE installed before you go and burn those perches on permanately. The reason I say that is your t-case output is going to be different. I just went through this myself. A lot of guys will tell you to point the 8.8 pinion straight at the t-case and some will say 2* degrees down ( to account for axle wrap during acceleration). I went the 2* degrees down route and I dont get any vibes. Im not saying you have to listen to my advice, just reconsider. I know this is your dd and you want it done right cause those perches are awfully hard to move once you burn it all together. As always keep up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWRUBI View Post
I agree with skyj, dont burn them on permanently yet until the SYE is on there. With a CV DS, pointing straight at the TC is fine, with a non CV DS, 2* down is about right.
I really would have loved to been able to do this but it just wasn't going to be practical in my situation.
If I waited until the SYE was installed to set the pinion angle that would mean I would have to set it, pull it back out, weld it, paint it, etc. then put it back in later.
You're correct this is my DD and going that route would mean at least three days or so of down time.
That's just too long and I know i'd feel rushed to get everything done, so the way I'm doing it will have to do.
Also I'm pretty sure that the angle will do alright, I called up TW's and got a measurement of how far the SYE will stick out. Then I set the pinion going by that measurement.
And I did final weld everything anyways Thanks for the tip though, I'm always open to suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota123 View Post
how much money are you in on it so far? im looking at doing this soon but i already have a cv shaft and sye so that wont cost me any money
Good question, lets see here:

-300 for the axle
-45 for perches, shock mounts, spring plates
-40 for U-bolts
-570 for SYE/DS
-45 for new bearings and seals
-130 for diff cover
-35 chassis saver (but I actually got this for free)

That would bring the total to 1165 + 260 more expected

I think that's about it so far..

I'm expecting about another $200 or so for brakes and $60 for gear oil.

It's really the little things that add up quick though, like cut off wheels, welding rods, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
Great documentation and work.

And I'm diggin' that green pumpkin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
be doing this today... woot woot..... great writeup
Thanks!

In case you didnt read all that above, everything is now final welded.

CDW_327 was kind enough to bring over his arc welder and generator (no 220 at my place) so I could weld everything up.

Considering it was my first time arc welding, I think it went pretty well..

The welds aren't cleaned up or made pretty or anything yet. I'll get to that in a couple of days..

For any of you doing this too, these are the measurements I used..

Unread 04-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #68
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Don't grind down those welds too much you will weaken them. From the pic it looks good I haven't arc welded for a long time. You should have bought a can of anti spatter less cleanup. Are you going to weld up the tubes, to the diff?
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #69
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Don't grind down those welds too much you will weaken them. From the pic it looks good I haven't arc welded for a long time. You should have bought a can of anti spatter less cleanup. Are you going to weld up the tubes, to the diff?
I wasn't planning on grinding much. Mainly just to get rid of the spatter and what not.

And yes, I welded the tubes at the same time as all the mounts. I think it came out pretty well.

I'll post up some better pics soon.
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #70
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP_Nut1218 View Post

Good question, lets see here:

-300 for the axle
-45 for perches, shock mounts, spring plates
-40 for U-bolts
-570 for SYE/DS
-45 for new bearings and seals
-130 for diff cover
-35 chassis saver (but I actually got this for free)

That would bring the total to 1165 + 260 more expected

I think that's about it so far..

I'm expecting about another $200 or so for brakes and $60 for gear oil.

It's really the little things that add up quick though, like cut off wheels, welding rods, etc.
thanks! just was looking into doing this soon and was seeing how much you spent on getting the axle done. Great job btw hope to be doin this soon once i can get my hand on an axle
Unread 04-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #71
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't want to hijack, but I didn't want to create a whole new thread. Just completed mine, and it works quite well, only had to re-flare brake lines once. Only about $750 in to this build. Still need to extend my upper shock mounts as you can see.

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #72
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzke21 View Post
Don't want to hijack, but I didn't want to create a whole new thread. Just completed mine, and it works quite well, only had to re-flare brake lines once. Only about $750 in to this build. Still need to extend my upper shock mounts as you can see.

looks nice great job
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #73
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lutzke21 that axle came out pretty nice! Seeing your shocks makes me worry how much room I'll end up with though...

Received a nice care package from TW tonight

Unread 04-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #74
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP_Nut1218 View Post
Lutzke21 that axle came out pretty nice! Seeing your shocks makes me worry how much room I'll end up with though...
That picture of Lutzke21 reminds me of my shocks when i first installed my 8.8 I did a little write-up on my fix for it. Granted Im running Wagoneer springs with a 2" stretch so it will be a little different than you but since you guys know how to weld. here is the link to my shock extensions.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...sions-1345960/ I gained two more inches of shock length. I also had to cut and make new shock mounts on the axle,cause I welded them on up too high (the first time). At full droop my old mounts were contacting my shock. Now I got all the bugs worked out and they work great.
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #75
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Excuse me while I drool more.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8.8 swap , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.