My 4wd wont work - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 4wd wont work

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
jimhill
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 89
My 4wd wont work

My 4wd won't work and a friend said I could just turn the vacuum around and it will work. What does this mean? And how do I do it?

jimhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,230
There's a link inside this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...80/?highlight=


You may need to have your driveshaft up front balanced if you've got some vibrations.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
jimhill
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
There's a link inside this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...80/?highlight=

You may need to have your driveshaft up front balanced if you've got some vibrations.
Thanks and I just got a new driveshaft
jimhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
tdewit
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 533
Also something I may point you at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...nally-1534273/
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Old4X
Registered User
1990 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ga
Posts: 5,076
Probably just rotted out vacuum lines. 25 years old is way past their expire date.
__________________
418 miles on 19 gallons of gas. Can't beat the BBD !
Old4X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
jimhill
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X
Probably just rotted out vacuum lines. 25 years old is way past their expire date.
Thanks ill look into that to
jimhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
jimhill
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 89
What is the fluid that comes out of my shift motor?
jimhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
XJ93
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 783
You mean the vacuum motor? That is just gear lube, don't worry about replacing the small amount that leaks out, but I would do a drain and refill of the front and rear diffs just to get a look at the gears and make sure everything looks good.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
jimhill
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93
You mean the vacuum motor? That is just gear lube, don't worry about replacing the small amount that leaks out, but I would do a drain and refill of the front and rear diffs just to get a look at the gears and make sure everything looks good.
How would I do this?
jimhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
brianandcara
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 69
Put a pan under the diff and pull the bolts. Clean the old gasket/rtv off, install new gasket/rtv. Remove fill plug and fill it up with gear oil till the oil runs out of the plug hole. Also you can pull the shift cover off the axle, pull the clip off the shaft that holds the fork in place (carefull the things are easy to loose) slide the fork over, re-install the clip, slide the shift collar to the engaged position and re-install shift cover.
brianandcara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
jimhill
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianandcara
Put a pan under the diff and pull the bolts. Clean the old gasket/rtv off, install new gasket/rtv. Remove fill plug and fill it up with gear oil till the oil runs out of the plug hole. Also you can pull the shift cover off the axle, pull the clip off the shaft that holds the fork in place (carefull the things are easy to loose) slide the fork over, re-install the clip, slide the shift collar to the engaged position and re-install shift cover.
I ended up getting posi lok
jimhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.