MY 350 swap..... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MY 350 swap.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #16
xcannibalx
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1-ton
Did you try running stock manifolds? Do they fit?

xcannibalx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No I have never run stock manifolds on any 350. My buddy Tim put a SBC in his Jeep and used ram-horn style manifolds with an OE replacement y-pipe for a late 70s vette or something. He's got the same weld-on motor mounts as I do.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone tried the MORE motor mounts, JM400? if you have can you post some pictures, I would like to see these mounts in between the frame rails..
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Engine under construction again, 4.3 out and 5.7 going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here.....Homemade Snorkel
Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here.....4.3 Chevy Conversion
KrwlinYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdfrkss View Post
Has anyone tried the MORE motor mounts, JM400? if you have can you post some pictures, I would like to see these mounts in between the frame rails..
I know this doesn't answer your question, but here are the AA ones for comparison. I really liked them.

Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #20
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

to answer some questions.....
1 TON YJ:
i'm leaning towards these:
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...13&partID=9913

Jeepfreak81:
a friend is giving me a intake manifold and carb for free for now.....gonna run it for a while to see if i like it, if not, then i'll throw some dough towards some sort of fuel injection.

t-case..... gonna snag a 231C and mix and match parts with my 231J to make it work. that way i hope to still be able to keep the gear driven speedo sensor in the back of my 231J.....

not really worried about front driveshaft/oil filter clearance.....being SOA with 2" springs should help that.....

Tank29:
i researched several weld in style mounts, but wanted to try something a little easier for a change.....it can adjust forward or back 5/8" (not much, i know) but they said it's designed to set the motor in the most optimal spot. if it sits too far back, no problem, i'm stretching the rear of my YJ 9" when it all goes together so driveshaft angles aren't a worry.....

now i have a question..... those who have done the swap..... what did you do for power steering hoses????? do the stock YJ lines fit or do i have to make some custom ones???? i don't have a power steering pump as of yet, just wanna know what i'm up against.
thanks!
Unread 02-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #21
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin1995 View Post
to answer some questions.....
1 TON YJ:
i'm leaning towards these:
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...13&partID=9913

Jeepfreak81:
a friend is giving me a intake manifold and carb for free for now.....gonna run it for a while to see if i like it, if not, then i'll throw some dough towards some sort of fuel injection.

t-case..... gonna snag a 231C and mix and match parts with my 231J to make it work. that way i hope to still be able to keep the gear driven speedo sensor in the back of my 231J.....

not really worried about front driveshaft/oil filter clearance.....being SOA with 2" springs should help that.....

Tank29:
i researched several weld in style mounts, but wanted to try something a little easier for a change.....it can adjust forward or back 5/8" (not much, i know) but they said it's designed to set the motor in the most optimal spot. if it sits too far back, no problem, i'm stretching the rear of my YJ 9" when it all goes together so driveshaft angles aren't a worry.....

now i have a question..... those who have done the swap..... what did you do for power steering hoses????? do the stock YJ lines fit or do i have to make some custom ones???? i don't have a power steering pump as of yet, just wanna know what i'm up against.
thanks!
Free is always good for the carb and intake stuff, when tuned properly they work well, so take some time with it I ran points even when I first did my swap, because the whole dist, was new and on the shelf. (long gone now though.) My Edelbrock 600 has been very trusworthy, even without the offroad kit in it.

You will be able to mix and match the t-case parts to retain your speedo gear, I have done it -- however the narrower NP231J chain was rather short lived behind the V8 for me, the t-case only had about 60k or so on it IIRC when I did my swap, so it wasn't a mileage issue. I ended up going to all 231C guts and it has worked great.

For the power steering, I used one Chevy hose and one Jeep hose. I would have to look to see which is which though. The Chevy hoses came with my parts motor I bought for the accessories. That was a 305 from an 84 Caprice I was told when I bought it.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #22
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfreak81 View Post
You will be able to mix and match the t-case parts to retain your speedo gear, I have done it -- however the narrower NP231J chain was rather short lived behind the V8 for me, the t-case only had about 60k or so on it IIRC when I did my swap, so it wasn't a mileage issue. I ended up going to all 231C guts and it has worked great.
not sure where, but i think i read there's a way to swap the 231c chain also..... gonna have to go find it.....
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #23
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Couple things.

The MORE mounts are very nice. While I don't have them.....I wish I would have got them. I got the AA mounts, and while I have had no problems with them....the MORE ones just look beef. One thing about them.....I don't like the idea of a mount dictating where my engine goes. Granted, it's an inch here, inch there.....but I still like the idea of being able to do as I please with them. On a side note about the mounts.....which ever you choose, get the same style tranny mount. For example: The MORE mounts are poly bushing type. Make sure you fab up a tranny mount using the same. The advance adapters ones I got are rubber bushing style. They move more....and require a tranny mount that does the same. If you mix and match...well.....ask one ton....lol. I think he's got a pretty picture somewhere in his collection.

On to the manifolds. I have stock manifolds. They worked perfectly. No clearance issues with anything. With that said....I got OEM manifolds for an 89 fullsize blazer. I have no idea what other manifolds are the same, different...etc. I know mine work.

The hoses: I used both jeep hoses. Worked as they should, no issues.

Keep on it bud...you'll get there.

-Scott
Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #24
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

scott..... what did you do for a radiator????
Unread 02-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #25
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a set of 88-98 GM truck shorty headers hanging on the wall collecting dust at my storage garage. They look almost exactly like those headers you posted. The driver's side has an O2 bung welded in it but you can put a ford spark plug in that to cap it. Make me an offer, I can get pictures if you want.

For the radiator, get a 22x19 universal aluminum radiator from any of your favorite racing parts places, Summit, Jeg's, Speedway, ect. You can get one for less than $200 and make your own brackets to bolt it to your grille. Slap a Taurus fan on it. I have less than $320 in my entire cooling system.

Mount the grille, radiator and fan before the engine, obviously.
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #26
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin1995 View Post
scott..... what did you do for a radiator????
One of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...spagenameZWDVW

I chose to use the mechanical fan. My 4.0L burnt up because the electric fan got wet, went bad and I didn't catch it in time. I was gun shy at that point.

I've had no heat issues. Runs at 185-195 constant.
Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:24 AM   #27
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

hey peter have you thought about keeping the 'pane?

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:33 AM   #28
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone used the MM from JC Whitney? They are weld in and for everything about 60 bucks. I'll look for a brand but they say that they are made for a Jeep to Chevy 350 conversion? MM's are on my shoping list and I wanted to make sure I get the right thing the first time.

2nd. How do you know exactly how high to mount up your radiator? Is there a certain height. If you had to choose to high or to low which would you go?

3rd. Stick with manafolds if you can. Headers are a PITA and they have to be the right ones or you will be running mufflers for rockers. Here is a Jeep my neighbor picked up a few mo. back. It has been a complete frame off but this is what it looked like when we took it off the trailer. Keep in mind stuff is hanging off of it but look how low the cherry bombs are.

Todd
Thanks!
Todd
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:33 AM   #29
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry.....Here is the pic I didn't know
how big it would be. Don't have time out the door
to work to resize.

He went the homemade route
for his weld ons and got the other
parts from AA. Ditched the headers
when it was time for the 350
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #30
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I cut my grille to sink the radiator in against the back of the headlight buckets. Mount it as high or as low as wish. I'd go higher so it does not interfere with the axle or steering should you choose to run the ride height as low as you can.

You do NOT need to run fenderwell headers! Shorty/blockhuggers work fine. When I mocked my motor in my Jeep it had a set of 88-98 GM truck headers on it from when it was in my Blazer. They would have worked fine, but I went with the center outlet blockhuggers to get the y-pipe up high and out of harm's way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.