My 2.5L engine... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 2.5L engine...

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My 2.5L engine...

....has developed a serious knock. I like my 4 angry squirrels, I don't want to swap to a 6cyl, V8 or diesel. Soo..... I'm seriously considering locating a replacement engine to refresh and then swap out my knocking 2.5L in my '95 YJ.

According to our FAQ here, the 2.5L MPI engine came in the '91-'95 YJs. When I start asking around for a rebuildable 2.5L to swap it out with, are there other hoods I could find the same engine under?

Does the earlier TBI 4-cylinder engine run the same cylinder head and block and be a candidate to use as rebuid core?

Is there any sort of rebuilding/checks I should plan on doing with the original Multi-Port Injection (MPI) system - or - can I / should I just bolt it on the freshened longblock?

Thanks in Advance, Guys!

J-Quad

J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

any 2.5 engine from about 84 up to the 2000's will work. The oil pan changed in 97. But dont worry about that as you can just swap your current pan on there when you do the swap. The older pan allows the exhaust to pass in between the trans and engine, the newer one allows it to pass in front of pan. Oil pump pick up may be different too. I have swapped 87 block into a 99, and 97 into a 91 and a couple of others. Just the block. Dist is same for a lot of years but there are different connectors and internals. Same for the oil pressure sender. some have 2 wires and othes have 1 wire. But all the external parts bolt right on with zero issues.
Also Dakaotas that have 2.5s are the same.. and Cherokees...
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for being 10 months late in my reply, but --- THANKS for all the pointers, Jeepsr4me!

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
teeter02
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got one from Auto Zone $1500.00, long block. No troubles with the long block its self. having elec issues currently. 3 yr warrenty
teeter02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

For roughly $1800 I had a local rebuilder pull our 2.5, rebuild it, new everything including injectors and sensors, and re-install it. 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty. Dropped it off and 3 days later, drove it home.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.