Ok I wasn't really planning on doing a write-up since I'm not one of the big guys on the forum (haha not yet!
) But guy who helps me with everything jeep (Richmond88yj on here) told me I should go ahead and do one.
So I'm just going to show my experience with my 2.5” Rough Country Lift Kit.
Hopefully at least some of it will help someone along the way.
So before I ever got started with the lift I soaked all the bolts involved with PB blaster [shackles, spring perch mounts, springs mounts on the frame, and the bolts on the shocks]
It was easy to tell which bolts I forgot to spray down.
Main tools I used were Impact Wrench, Breaker Bars, and wrenches with 3/4, 13/16, and 7/8 heads
-taking the lugs of the tire-
So I decided to start with the front and get the harder end out of the way.
First off, I jacked it up by the front of the frame [also, put jack stands under the frame for safety]
Then removed the wheel to give access to the springs.
-removing old U-bolts-
Put an additional jack under the axle to relieve pressure on the spring.
Then removed the spring perch mounts and sway bar connects to I could completely remove the perch plate.
Then removed the spring from shackle and frame mounts.
-greasing the bushings-
Inserted bushings and sleeves into the springs.
[Used some grease so they would both slide right in]
-Lining up the spring with the mount-
Now to put the new spring in
First thing I did was use a screw driver to widen the mounts in the frame to allow the spring to fit in a lot easier, lined it up, and bolted the rear of the spring in. Left it loose to allow some play when lining the spring up on the mount.
-bolting the U-Joints-
Then bolted the front of the spring in. Again, allowing some play to align spring on the mount.
Next, I put the new U-bolts in, aligned the spring on the plate, and bolted everything up.
To get everything aligned required some pushing on both the spring and axle
After I finished with the spring, I did the shock.
It was simple enough since I put new shocks on before and all the bolts turned easily.
Only hard part is if you cut the cord on the shock that keeps it compressed before you but it in, it’s a pain to have to compress it back up. But do-able.
Left side finished!
-Removing spring on right side-
Just do the right the same way that the right was done. No big changes.
-steering stabilizer in (sorry its already muddy)-
While the right wheel was off and there was access, I did the steering stabilizer.
I had forgotten I was installing it also, and did not spray the bolts with PB.
Ended up being incredibly stubborn and we had to heat it and mess with it for a while.
Supposedly, it is supposed to be done with a pickle fork; however, we didn’t have one and used some sort of damper pulley or flywheel pulley. Worked well to pop the bolt out but watch out, it did pop.
-back with wheel off-
Back went pretty much the same as the front… First jacked up rear of frame.
Then jack up axle.. Remove old spring… Finagle new spring in. Bolt everything on.
We did have trouble lining it on the perch though, so what we did was remove the spring from the shackle, get the U-bolts on and then fight with it onto the shackle.
Also, it helped when the shocks were off as it gave more room for the axle to move and the spring to line up with everything.