Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My 1st Jeep and Build 1993YJ

336K views 2K replies 247 participants last post by  Louie4 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought the Jeep in Sept 09 off of CL. The PO was in NW Arkansas about 60 miles away. Gave him a call and 2 hrs later I was Driving her home. Runs Great so far.
1993 Black YJ 4.0L I6 5-speed 169,000 mile, 31X10.50 tires, Long Shackles, Sagging springs, No Rust, to much chrome. I dont think he ever took her off the pavement, very clean inside and out, I dont think the top has been off more than a few times. Except for the paint. Lot of Mods to come. :thumbsup:

2nd pic has the 1" Body lift on it. The orginal body mounts were worn-out.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
1st Weekend out. We went the the Arkansas River Bottoms

Attachments

#3 ·
Month later new paint and Fenders. Theres a Paint/Body shop on the same block as my shop. $800.00 paint job

Attachments

#4 ·
Next was a New Bumper and Winch. I bought the winch on CL for $300. Ramsey REP8.5

Attachments

#6 ·
The 17yr old body mounts were toast so I replaced them with Day Star 1" Body Mounts and Started a 4" Rock Ready SkyJacker Lift.

Attachments

#7 ·
It's easy to see the what the difference is going to be in Lift with the Spring next to each other. The Stock shock where completely worn out, I replaced Front and Back with Rancho 9000, a SkyJacker 7000 Steering Stabilizer and Stainless Brake Lines

Attachments

#8 ·
New Pitman Arm. I bought greaseable bolts for the shackles and replaced all 4 frame bushings.

Attachments

#9 ·
:brickwall Always check everything before you start just as the instructions say. If you notice the Sleeve on the left is the wrong size for the bushing. I had (4) correct ones and (4) wrong ones. This was Friday night so no stopping now. I went ahead and used them and figured I would call Monday Morning. Called them, seems there was some miss packaging in a run of the SkyJacker YJ45 Lift Kit box. No problem they 2day shipped the right parts with no hassle, very nice :2thumbsup:

Attachments

#10 ·
Front is finished. My wife came for a look and asked if it would fit out the garage door when I was Finished. For a second I wondered if it would. :confused: Starting the rear. The stock size shackles wont work in the rear the Double Military wrap hits the frame, Ill be changing to Booms soon. The neighbor has a Smoker on wheels with a solid axel welded to the frame, so Im donating the leftovers to the Razorback Game Tailgating Smoker. Im not going back with the Track Bar in the front or rear. Ill keep them in the corner just in case I ever need them.

Attachments

#539 ·
the 1st pic with only the front lift on it looks bad to the bone.:thumbsup: im from mississippi and my buddies and i call when a 4wd is sitting with the front slightly higher than the back the "west coast look":2thumbsup:

#11 ·
Before and after of the 1" Tcase drop, Finished and ready for the road test. This isn't my DD but I couldn't keep from driving it to work on Monday to show Her off. Played with the Forklift and went to look for a deal on tires at lunch.

Attachments

#12 ·
I went with 33x12.50 Maxxis Bighorns and I like em! :D I finally got around to taking the Chrome Grill off, I'm notmuch for the Chrome (It is for sale $100 PM me if interested) I'm going for the Black out look. I have drove her for a week with the Sway Bar disconnected and can't tell a difference so I took the quick Disco/extension kit back and got a $130 refund and removed the Sway bar completely and put it with the Track Bars :thumbsup: Then It Snowed 4" here in Arkansas on CHRISTmas Eve. 1st time in about 8yrs, we usually just get ice. The Family and I drove around for awhile playing. My next want is KC Lights but I think my syncs in the tranny need some attention having a hard time with 2nd gear. I'm going to pull it this weekend over New Years

Attachments

#15 ·
Thanks me too.

#16 ·
My wife and oldest went shopping so the youngest and I are going to pull the tranny. Shift boot came off with no problem, but I couldn't get the shift sticks off. Read my Haynes manual and mine don't match either of the two suggested removal techniques. After a good 30mins of up and down, looking, reading the same stuff over and over, talking to myself, answering a 100 questions from the youngest, I finally figured out they just wedge on, a Hammer and screwdriver from below persuaded them off. I have pics later if anyone would like to see.

Attachments

#20 ·
The youngest needed to work on her "3 wheeler" so I spent alot of time gathering tools, but had a great time with her. I got the skid plate off and the Tranny/T-Case mount was broke. I thought about welding it, but checked with the dealer and it it was a $65 part so I ordered it. Supposed to be here on Tuesday.

Attachments

#22 ·
:mad: This fitting on the Line feeding the Slave Cylinder really slowed things down. I couldn't get it off. I tried the slip tools for fuel lines, to big. I ground it down and then it fit but it was to short. This was 9pm on New Years Eve and all the parts houses closed at 8pm. I thought the new slave will come with the line so I cut it for the sake of progress. My friend told me the next day the line wouldn't come with it. If it don't I guess I'll be buying one. I still need to get the cut piece out of the Master cylinder line. Does this take a special tool?

Attachments

#24 ·
The last hurdle was these stupid Torks Bolts on top of the Bell Housing (Inside the Red circle). I dont have a set of these and I definitely don't wont to strip these 2 bolts. These did shut me down for the night on the tranny so I decided to split the T-case from the tranny. That went pretty easy. I went to the parts house in the morning for the Torks sockets. I'll be replacing these with Hex head bolts. Why would they all have regular bolts but the two that are the hardest to get too. If you put 9" of extensions you can get to them through the shifter hole in the floor.

Attachments

#25 ·
I got my torks sockets and the tranny came out. Be sure and drain the gear oil first. It makes a huge mess when it all spills out the back. :facepalm:

Attachments

#26 ·
Thanks, Ill be following your build I love the black 93's. You seem pretty handy you should fab a rear bumper with swingout, I just finished mine, had it powder coated and I mounted it yesterday, gotta say it looks pretty cool, hated those bumperettes....

#53 ·
Thats is the next thing. I want to be able to carry a 33 spare with out screwing up my tail gate. How did you do the locking mechanism?

#27 ·
Clutch and Flywheel off. All that is left is the pilot bearing. I'll have to get a Loaner Slide-hammer & puller from Parts house before I can get it out. I'll wait till the Clutch set come in to tackle it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.