My 1991 Wrangler won't start - HELP? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 1991 Wrangler won't start - HELP?

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
gishawnee

My 1991 Wrangler won't start - HELP?

Hello all, I am new to this community and looking for some advice. It might be hard to get over a forum without seeing/hearing the vehicle, but I figured I'd try. My Jeep won't start.
I have a '91 Wrangler, 6 cylinder 4.0 liter, that my family has owned from the factory. For the last couple months it has been a bit sluggish turning over when I start it up. A couple days ago it wouldn't start, there was no turn over at all. I thought it was the battery, so I added alittle water to the cells and it fired up. However, after letting it run awhile and then driving it about 5 miles to a shopping center, it wouldn't start again. As luck would have it, that shopping center had a battery load checker thingy (I like to use very technical terms, lol) and new batteries. The one in the jeep was totally dead, so thinking that was the problem, I bought a new one and installed it. The jeep still wouldn't start. The new battery shows 100% charge, the buzzer in the jeep/all gauges/lights/etc work, and there is a very soft clicking sound when I turn the ignition, but no turnover at all. Also, a few times when I was trying to start it, the ingnition itself got very sluggish and the key didn't even want to turn. Am I dealing with a bad ignition, bad starter, bad alternator, something totally different, or something that is impossible to tell from the very lengthy (but still no visual/audio) description I just gave? Thanks for any ideas/help/advice!!
Shawnee

gishawnee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As the first step, I would inspect and clean the battery cables and terminal ends. A little crud on them can stop the juice you need to start!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
gishawnee

Thanks EABiker, great advice, but I've already done that. The terminal ends and the cables aren't perfect, but they are as clean as I could get them.
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Mudmouse990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

just make sure the terminals are tight that was m problem had one of those stupid terminal ends with different accessoery holes and i replaced two starters before i realized that was the problem but it could be your starter it doesnt sound like the solenoid because you here the clicking
[B]90 yj 2.5l or pure power,thrush turbo, gutted cat, RC 4in lift,1" boom shackles, 33" BFG A/T's, outlaw alum rims,Rhino lined interior,overhead lights,connex 3300 cb, Homemade disco's, no rear trackbar
future mods- diamond plate rocker gaurds, fold down bus steps,home made front and rear bumpers , tube fenders, paint my doors red,possibly a winch, 302 ford or a 350 chevy, ford 8.8, cv style shaft and much more [/B]
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]
Check out my build thread[/SIZE][/COLOR] [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90yj-getting-there-1155268/[/url]
[COLOR="Yellow"]My Home made Quick Disconnects Write up [/COLOR][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-quick-disconnects-write-up-pics-1182040/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-quick-disconnects-write-up-pics-1182040/[/URL]
Mudmouse990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
mightybg
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i had same problem once on my 95, the starter had a rubber drain on it to let moisture and what not get out but was baffled to not let it in ( looks like a rubber tube sticking out of the bottom of the starter) it had come off at some point and the road gunk had contaminated my starter commutator. I dismantled the starter and cleaned the commutator between the groove and 1000 grit sand paper on the segment bars. when cleaning out the grooves though, don't get carried away, there's insulating material between the segments. I thinks its some sort of epoxy or something. after I did that is fired right up. or your starter brushes could be worn away too much and not contacting the commutator bars with enought pressure therefore poor electrical contact.
mightybg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
kdougmorse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In case you haven't done it already, run through your relays and fuses under the hood, make sure they're good.
Unread 01-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like a bad starter.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
gishawnee

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I'm going to take it into my local garage and look at the starter with them. Hopefully it is an easy fix!
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
TippmannA-5
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I would have to agree with everyone that said it was a bad starter. If you have to get one, just make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty on it!!
Yellow Jeep Club Member #4.2
Every time a bird craps on my jeep, I sit on my front porch and eat scrambled eggs to show them what i'm capable of!
TippmannA-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alternator problem , ignition problem , repairs , start-up , starter issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.