awesome find and great work! could you post up a little more about the way you flat fendered it and post up some more pics of it? id like to see how it looks in a whole jeep shot if you dont mind
I found one but will get more tomorrow in the daylight.
As for the frnders, I don't have a ton of pictures from when I flat fendered them. Actually the hardest part of flat fendering was trimming the flares. I did that first. I removed the stock flare and mounted the TJ flare flush with the top of the fender. Then marked the flares about where I wanted to cut them. I then traced out cut lines and trimmed cut and sanded...a lot. When I had the flares how I wanted them I remounted them to the fender and marked the fenders for cutting. I then cut the fenders to match the flares.
Here are some pics.
I did also have to pop rivet the seem back together after trimming the rear portion of the fender.
This is how the Jeep was sitting at the end of last year.
I have since installed a tire carrier bumper and the Jeep is currently under the knife.
This is how it sat last Friday.
My 258 started running like crap and sounded like a desiel so I figured it was finally time for a motor swap. I had 2 options. Swap in a 5.2L out of my ZJ or a 4.0L H.O. I bought to swap in this YJ last year. As much as I wanted to swap in the 5.2 I really didn't want to start a huge project and miss out driving my YJ all summer. Also the ease of the 4.0L swap was very appealing.
Well, long story short the 4.0L is in I am just waiting on gas tank straps to hang the new tank with electric fuel pump and I have to finish up the wiring. I will post some pics of the new motor in the YJ as soon as I take some.
Wow It has been a while since I posted on this. I actually forgot I had started this build thread. Part of that reason is that nothing has really been done to the YJ. My wife and I had a baby last Feb. so time has been at a premium. I also picked up an XJ for cheap money with a "bad tranny". After replacing the torque converter it was good to go. Seeing that I can't leave anything alone I built it up and wheeled it all year last year.
In the mean time I have been collecting parts for the YJ. It currently sits with the 4.0L HO installed but not wired. I also have the tank w/e fuel pump still out but ready to go back under and be plumbed. I am basically just waiting for the weather to get warmer so I can finish this project. Pictures of the new goodies I have accumulated to come.
It's been a while since I updated this. A lot has changed on the YJ but I now realize I took very few pictures.
The 4.0L is installed, wired and running great.
That was fun!
Actually, it was a pretty straight forward job. All the wiring is thinned out, cleaned up and back in the loom. When I swapped in the 1995 gas tank and new fuel pump the factory skid was pretty rotted. I ended up picking up a Kilby gas tank skid to replace it.
I found some numbers on the leaf springs and after some searching I found that they are OME 2.5" springs.
Originally I swapped in a set of 4 cylinder YJ axles with 4.10 gears. Then I swapped in a Comanche D44 (still had stock 3.07 gears), which I sold. I next picked up another MJ D44 set up with disk brakes but no gears. Then I found a deal on a set of Waggy axles already set up SUA for a YJ with 4.09 gears and a LSD rear. I wanted to stay SUA anyway to keep a low center of gravity. I am currently running Chevy Blazer rally wheels with 34x10.5x15 Swamper LTBs.
I don't have pics but I picked up and installed some alloy front shafts with fresh u joints. The Jeep has been running and driving great. I have been driving it to work at least once a week and just enjoying it. I also picked up a new set of OME to replace my old sagged rear leafs.
Last month my club did a Rock Crawling Exhibition at a fair in the town of Sandwich, NH. It was nice to finally get the YJ on the rocks and actually have people there with cameras. Here are a few pics.
After the fair I decided the rear limited slip had to go and a locker was a must. Then I found a deal on a Ford 9" out of a early Bronco already converted to disk brakes with a mini spool. The only problem (if you want to call it that) is it has 4.56 gears. So over the winter I need to swap in 4.56 gears in the front axle and convert it to 5x5.5 bolt pattern.