Musings...let me pick some brains - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Musings...let me pick some brains

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Musings...let me pick some brains

You ever feel like you start over thinking stuff? Since my hands are tied and I can't start my build until my taxes arrive (any freaking day now ffs!!!! ) I've been over thinking (maybe) some of the directions I want to take my YJ. Since I still can't return to work (my injury) I totally have Idle Hands Syndrome and it's slowly threatening to kill me from the inside out....

Anyways, I've been thinking really hard about some specific things, and I want to pick the brains of the folks that have been there done that. Here we go;

1. Overall size of this "pile 'o fun times"- I've been planning on doing everything I need in order to run 35s, but now I'm questioning whether its really worth it. Yes you get 1" of diff clearance and tummy clearance, and yes, it looks bad as hell, but is it really worth it?
Where I'm at with this- I currently have a 2" BL and will be installing a 4" lift any maybe some 5/8" booms. Plenty to run 35s, but now I'm thinking maybe I could just install the lift, and delete the body lift and stay with 33s for no other reasons than the fact that I wouldn't need the BL then (seems easier/gentler on the rig) and overall, the cost of running 33s as a Weekend Warrior/DD is lower.

So has anyone moved from 33s to 35s/37s and lived to regret it? Or felt like its wasted time/money? Or ended up feeling like it really didn't improve the fun of it all? How about folks that went up and couldn't imagine going back? I want to pick some brains here....

I want to be confident in her road manners so when I get the itch to take a 2500 mile road trip, I can throw some crap and the back and go. And importantly, I can enjoy the ride and not be white knuckled the whole time.

Also, as a side musing, I think cloaks and all that look super bad as$ but I honestly like the stock lines of YJs a lot and want to try and preserve that the best I can, meaning whatever direction I go, some flat flares will be in order but not flat fenders or cloaks.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Then there's
2. The bigger my list of mods gets, the further I realize I'm starting to plan on taking my YJ from decent DD to, "I guess it'll get us there, but be ready to re-live the Oregon Trail from the back of a covered wagon," type of ride. For those of you that DD their rig, what have you done that you wish you hadn't? Or what did you do that you cannot live without?

Anyways, any other thoughts from people that have "been-there-and-done- that, bought-the-T-Shirt-and-forced-my-family-to-watch-the-four-hour-photo-slide-show," are more than appreciated.

Thanks in advance for hearing out my internal musings
Cheers

Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Last Year's King of Hammers was won by a rig on 35's and rides just a smooth as anything. So yes it can be done, just requires some thinking. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ep-teaser.html
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't regret having 35s, but sometimes I do wish I had just a 2" lift, 31s, lockers, armor and just make a sweet crawler sleeper.

I know exactly how you feel, I almost change my mind daily on what I want to do. Sometimes I even think about selling the Jeep and getting a samurai just because how cheap they are to build.

I would think lockers, 33s, high clearance skid plate, and armor would be better but that's just an opinion.
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustD View Post
I don't regret having 35s, but sometimes I do wish I had just a 2" lift, 31s, lockers, armor and just make a sweet crawler sleeper.

I know exactly how you feel, I almost change my mind daily on what I want to do. Sometimes I even think about selling the Jeep and getting a samurai just because how cheap they are to build.

I would think lockers, 33s, high clearance skid plate, and armor would be better but that's just an opinion.
Maybe it's a good idea that I have to wait for the money. Gives me plenty of time to really think things through, although at this point I know I'm thinking too much and wish I could have just pulled the trigger and moved on lol.

I should mention that a front Aussie locker and some rocker armor will be high priority and later a selectable locker in the rear (though again I think too much lol and may just go with a LSD 8.8.) An SYE and CV shaft will also come in the next few months. That part is a no brainer because it's things that need to be done. I need the 8.8 so I don't blow up the 35 and have my rig down. I need the locker (for Duh! reasons), I need the SYE/CV (again for Duh! reasons) ect....but otherr things come down to choice and taste and thats the harder part to nail down...

Certain parts of my build I'm certain about, but the overall size of the lift and tires are something that I just can't seem to nail down which is why I want to garner as many opinions as I can to add some personal experience to the pot.

I'm even thinking that maybe the 4" lift, 5/8" booms may be enough to fit 35s comfortably (I already have my tub cut "TJ Style") and I've heard that works...Or a 1" BL to replace the 2"? So many freaking choices! :

More thoughts please
Cheers
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
You ever feel like you start over thinking stuff? Since my hands are tied and I can't start my build until my taxes arrive (any freaking day now ffs!!!! ) I've been over thinking (maybe) some of the directions I want to take my YJ. Since I still can't return to work (my injury) I totally have Idle Hands Syndrome and it's slowly threatening to kill me from the inside out....

Anyways, I've been thinking really hard about some specific things, and I want to pick the brains of the folks that have been there done that. Here we go;

1. Overall size of this "pile 'o fun times"- I've been planning on doing everything I need in order to run 35s, but now I'm questioning whether its really worth it. Yes you get 1" of diff clearance and tummy clearance, and yes, it looks bad as hell, but is it really worth it?
Where I'm at with this- I currently have a 2" BL and will be installing a 4" lift any maybe some 5/8" booms. Plenty to run 35s, but now I'm thinking maybe I could just install the lift, and delete the body lift and stay with 33s for no other reasons than the fact that I wouldn't need the BL then (seems easier/gentler on the rig) and overall, the cost of running 33s as a Weekend Warrior/DD is lower.

So has anyone moved from 33s to 35s/37s and lived to regret it? Or felt like its wasted time/money? Or ended up feeling like it really didn't improve the fun of it all? How about folks that went up and couldn't imagine going back? I want to pick some brains here....

I want to be confident in her road manners so when I get the itch to take a 2500 mile road trip, I can throw some crap and the back and go. And importantly, I can enjoy the ride and not be white knuckled the whole time.

Also, as a side musing, I think cloaks and all that look super bad as$ but I honestly like the stock lines of YJs a lot and want to try and preserve that the best I can, meaning whatever direction I go, some flat flares will be in order but not flat fenders or cloaks.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Then there's
2. The bigger my list of mods gets, the further I realize I'm starting to plan on taking my YJ from decent DD to, "I guess it'll get us there, but be ready to re-live the Oregon Trail from the back of a covered wagon," type of ride. For those of you that DD their rig, what have you done that you wish you hadn't? Or what did you do that you cannot live without?

Anyways, any other thoughts from people that have "been-there-and-done- that, bought-the-T-Shirt-and-forced-my-family-to-watch-the-four-hour-photo-slide-show," are more than appreciated.

Thanks in advance for hearing out my internal musings
Cheers
Like I said in your last thread, I think 33's are going to be better for what you describe your use to be.

I've had various rigs on 31's, 33's, and 35's, locked and open differential (TJ on 33s, CJ on 35's, YJ on 33's then 35's, KJ on 31's, multiple Rams on 33's and 35's) and wheeled them in all sorts of different terrain (midwest snow/mud/rocks, Texas mud/trails/rocks, AZ rocks/trails). Frankly I can count on one hand the number of obstacles I've gone over that I have questions on my ability to get over them with 33's (where 35's would have let me). Learn to wheel the rig you build and pick your lines and you'll be fine.

That said, its your rig, build it how you want. If you just like the looks of 35's more than 33's and are willing to live with the side effects of higher chance of breaking parts/need for upgraded front shafts etc as well as a slight decreased DD'ability then go for it.

Either way you're going to want to swap in an 8.8 or 44 and regear your rig to 4.88's.

Overall, you're over thinking things.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Overall, you're over thinking things.
Yup.
I know I am, but in my defense, as of next month I've been cooped up inside for a full year. I'm carpenter and used to getting up everyday at the break of dawn and busting *** all day to build sh*t. And then on the weekends I'm used to going hunting/fishing/boating/bike riding/wheeling/building furniture/landscaping/white water rafting/sledding/etc etc etc.

Long and short is I'm very physically active and usually have a lot of mental stimulation as well. In the last 12 months I've literally done none of that and my mental stability has slipped a bit because of it

Breaking your hip and fu*cking your back up sucks. I would not recommend it!

So anyways, yes I know I'm over thinking it a bit, but this is the first project I've been able to start in over a year and I can't help feeling excited/anxious/nervous. I literally used to build houses from the dirt up and then quite suddenly I was stuck doing nothing but staring at the TV and out the window for an entire year of my life. Can ya blame me for being a bit...jumpy?

Anyways, thanks for the thoughts
Cheers
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Maybe it's a good idea that I have to wait for the money. Gives me plenty of time to really think things through, although at this point I know I'm thinking too much and wish I could have just pulled the trigger and moved on lol.

I should mention that a front Aussie locker and some rocker armor will be high priority and later a selectable locker in the rear (though again I think too much lol and may just go with a LSD 8.8.) An SYE and CV shaft will also come in the next few months. That part is a no brainer because it's things that need to be done. I need the 8.8 so I don't blow up the 35 and have my rig down. I need the locker (for Duh! reasons), I need the SYE/CV (again for Duh! reasons) ect....but otherr things come down to choice and taste and thats the harder part to nail down...

Certain parts of my build I'm certain about, but the overall size of the lift and tires are something that I just can't seem to nail down which is why I want to garner as many opinions as I can to add some personal experience to the pot.

I'm even thinking that maybe the 4" lift, 5/8" booms may be enough to fit 35s comfortably (I already have my tub cut "TJ Style") and I've heard that works...Or a 1" BL to replace the 2"? So many freaking choices! :

More thoughts please
Cheers
YES. on 35's And don't forget the added advantage of the 1" BL, access on and around the frame for running wires, fuel lines and spraying out mud!!!
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustD View Post
I don't regret having 35s, but sometimes I do wish I had just a 2" lift, 31s, lockers, armor and just make a sweet crawler sleeper. snip
Sounds like you just described a TJ Rubicon!

Maybe with the exception of the armor...
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Sounds like you just described a TJ Rubicon!

Maybe with the exception of the armor...
Well yeah, but I forgot to mention the TT and I also said sleeper :P
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The most important part of a dd/weekend wheeler is the ride quality of the springs. If I stuck with my crap lift springs I had originally I would have killed myself by now.
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well you have a couple of different options for 35's. You can keep the 2"bl if its installed properly and you don't have any regrets on it, then install a good quality 2.5-3" lift. Driveline angles will be kept to a minimum reducing the chance of driveline vibration and steering issues. The next option would be to cut down the bl to a 1" and add a bit more lift 3.5-4". Here is where you need to start looking at steering and driveshaft angles. Remove the bl altogether and go 4.5-5". This can give you the most travel because the lift is all in the springs, but this is where you start to get away from the dd weekend warrior to more of a dedicated trail rig. I know everyone is going to jump on this statement and say they dd their rig with 39's and 15" of lift, I'm just saying you will be compromising the dd ability in favor of the wheeling ability. Another thing to consider is keeping the 2" and doing a motormount lift and tummy tuck. This will bring your ground clearance up without having to mess with the steering so much. This combined with the smaller suspention lift (2.5-3) will give you a decent combo for both dd and ww. Notice I didn't mention anything about 33's
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
SLCSmoker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sticking with 33's and a 4" lift and concentrating on getting it as clean and reliable as possible. I also want to be able to drive it on the road when I want and not be bothered its to much of a wheeler. Lets face it jeeps are just so dang expensive to build and you can waste a bunch of $$ real quick going down the wrong build route. Hence I'm staying fairly conservative.

Now... as for the mention of Samurai's... I have one o those too and its getting the crap built out of it. Just a simple SOA and 31's its way taller than the YJ. It weighs nothing, approach/depart angles are great right outta the box. Not a jeep o course, the 1.3 is gutless... but I'll run em side by side and see how they do.
SLCSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
The most important part of a dd/weekend wheeler is the ride quality of the springs. If I stuck with my crap lift springs I had originally I would have killed myself by now.
Thanks! You're vast wealth of wisdom is always appreciated. I have had a glimpse over the past few months of how bad springs can be. Mine are so flat that they are actually starting to invert. And are held on by 1.5" shackles. Its miserable to drive over 45 right now (so I don't). Anyways, thanks for chiming in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
Well you have a couple of different options for 35's. You can keep the 2"bl if its installed properly and you don't have any regrets on it, then install a good quality 2.5-3" lift. Driveline angles will be kept to a minimum reducing the chance of driveline vibration and steering issues. The next option would be to cut down the bl to a 1" and add a bit more lift 3.5-4". Here is where you need to start looking at steering and driveshaft angles. Remove the bl altogether and go 4.5-5". This can give you the most travel because the lift is all in the springs, but this is where you start to get away from the dd weekend warrior to more of a dedicated trail rig. I know everyone is going to jump on this statement and say they dd their rig with 39's and 15" of lift, I'm just saying you will be compromising the dd ability in favor of the wheeling ability. Another thing to consider is keeping the 2" and doing a motormount lift and tummy tuck. This will bring your ground clearance up without having to mess with the steering so much. This combined with the smaller suspention lift (2.5-3) will give you a decent combo for both dd and ww. Notice I didn't mention anything about 33's
Thanks for that. That is actually insanely helpful. I had an '05 TJ for about 7-8 years. When I bought it, I slapped a 3" lift on it, a winch, and 33s and then life got in the way of putting anything else into it. But that always seemed enough then. Also my TJ was a Rubi and had d44s front and back, and selectable lockers. I never had to think about doing that stuff myself and now that I have the option I'm having a hard time finding the right path for me. That and as I've said before, the last year has been brutal on me and I'm ready to dive into a project head long and want to gather as many opinions from people who have more experience then myself. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCSmoker View Post
I'm sticking with 33's and a 4" lift and concentrating on getting it as clean and reliable as possible. I also want to be able to drive it on the road when I want and not be bothered its to much of a wheeler. Lets face it jeeps are just so dang expensive to build and you can waste a bunch of $$ real quick going down the wrong build route. Hence I'm staying fairly conservative.
Thanks. I think what it boils down for me is finding the line between "conservative" and "over the top." I'm trying to figure out how to draw clear lines in the sand so when the wrench is in my hand (and my wallet empty) I have a clear and concise build to follow through with.

Thanks for all the support. I love the YJ community here and I am happy to be apart of it. As things get rolling (hehe) hopefully I will be able to pay it forward by contributing more to answering questions rather than just asking them!

Cheers
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's very hard to tell someone how to build their jeep with just one idea. There are certainly things you shouldn't do, but sometimes the long way around allows you to build a better jeep in the end. Knowing what I know now about all this, it's easy to say I could have saved a lot of time and money just building big in the beginning. But at that time I said "I'll never need to go bigger than 35's for what I want to do." Famous last words lol. Now I'm on 39" red labels with a custom suspension I designed and built from scratch. Have fun with the project and try not to get stuck on something you just know won't be right.
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For what you wanna do with it, I'd stick to 4" of lift and 33s AT tires. The 35s open a whole new can of worms. 35s only if u really plan on mostly wheeling it.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.