Multiple Shock Questions... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Multiple Shock Questions...

So, I have a set of 5" BDS springs that I plan on putting on soon. I am assembling other parts for the lift as we speak. This will be a SUA setup with boomerang shackles front and back most likely.

What is the proper way to measure for shock length? I was planning on staying with the OEM shock towers if at all possible, but this is not set in stone.

I would actually like to move the axle shock mounts to the top of the axle tubes. Any problems with doing this? Pros/Cons? Should I rotate the mount 45 degrees for better performance at full droop? Reducing bind?

I am also looking for shock recommendations. I am not rich, so nothing very costly. I have been looking at Deotsch Techs. They seem nice for the price. Any other budget selections out there I should be looking at?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-05-2007, 03:26 PM
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

first decide where your mounts will be. try to configure them so you can use the longest shock possible. the problem with moving the lower shock mount to the top of the tube is you are reducing the amount of potential travel. this is particularly the case with the very constrictive mount locations in the rear. the rear shocks almost always are the single limiting factor in terms of flex. shock eye orientation will contribute to bind free flex, however, if you are not going to the time and expense of reworking the upper mounts to use a longer shock then the gains from turning the eye 90* will be pretty moot.

once you have that then put the frame on stands, remove the tires, and droop the axle. i throw a bunch of sandbags on the axle to simulate the weight of the tires. measure and order based on extended length. dont bother with any shock or shock distributer that wont or cant give extended and compressed specs. "for 4" lift" etc. etc. isnt good enough.

rear upper mount mocked up.

lowers

lowers in place.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-05-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

OK, I hear what you are saying about the upper mount points. Do the shocks come at a more extreme angle with the upper mounting system you pictured? Do you have any other pictures of the upper mount with the shocks installed?

For the record, this will be the first lift I am personally installing and I just want to get things correct the first time around. I don't want to have to deal with shock binding and the like. And I know with 5" of lift, these are things to consider if you want it to be done right.

Did you make those lower shock mounts? They are sharp looking!

post #4 of 10 Old 01-06-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

And also, what about the front?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have an easier theory/system for determining shock length. I figure the up travel is determined by the fenders and bump stops, and the shocks are usually right near the bump stops, so just measure the bumpstop gap when it's parked (say it's 5"). You need a shock that has just over that amount of compression travel (say 5.5", to prevent bottoming out) when sitting in the driveway. Any more rod showing is wasted capability. Now measure the at rest total shock length. Buy the shock with a compressed length 5.5" shorter than your at rest mount distance (so you have to expand it 5.5" to mount it). If you feel that shock's remaining extension capability is too short to allow sufficient droop, you would need to move the mounts further apart to allow a longer shock. But even that longer shock should still only have that 5.5" extension rod showing at rest. This all assumes normal install, not angled shocks.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-06-2007, 05:17 PM
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

yes the idea is to mount them on an angle so for every inch the axle moves movement on the shock shaft is less, say 3/4" i have yet to measure this in detail i just know they cover the range of axle movement . the consequence for this is less dampening and a bit more body roll.

yeah i made the mounts. those are 3/4" nuts and gussets.

the front lowers are similar and for the uppers i made tubular hoops that put the shock mount just below the fender. if i were to do it again id use BTF shock towers.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-06-2007, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis

yeah i made the mounts. those are 3/4" nuts and gussets.
Wanna make me some?
post #8 of 10 Old 01-06-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I have an easier theory/system for determining shock length. I figure the up travel is determined by the fenders and bump stops, and the shocks are usually right near the bump stops, so just measure the bumpstop gap when it's parked (say it's 5"). You need a shock that has just over that amount of compression travel (say 5.5", to prevent bottoming out) when sitting in the driveway. Any more rod showing is wasted capability. Now measure the at rest total shock length. Buy the shock with a compressed length 5.5" shorter than your at rest mount distance (so you have to expand it 5.5" to mount it). If you feel that shock's remaining extension capability is too short to allow sufficient droop, you would need to move the mounts further apart to allow a longer shock. But even that longer shock should still only have that 5.5" extension rod showing at rest. This all assumes normal install, not angled shocks.
OK, this makes sense as well and it a good tip. Thanks, Don!

Do you all feel that angled shocks allow for more downward droop? Is this even going to be a concern? I'm not going to be coil sprung or anything like that. I would assume that 5" springs, not matter who makes them are going to be somewhat stiff and may not allow all that much axle travel. I hope I am wrong about this, but I am prepared to be right.

The axle I am putting in the rear has a LS. (I was not comfortable running a full locker in the 35 for obvious reasons.) The front is a D30 and will have a Detroit locker in it. I am hoping that I can get away with less suspension travel with more traction at all four corners. That being said, if I can get my suspension to move correctly, that is a plus in my book.

Don, are you still running the monoleafs? Do/did they flex well? They have a 6" arch if I remember correctly. Did you get downward movement out of your suspension, or was it stiff? (edit: Just checked your sig and saw that you went SOA. My questions still apply though if you wouldn't mind answering them. Thanks.)
post #9 of 10 Old 01-06-2007, 09:11 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicmoose
Don, Do [monoleafs] flex well?
Not really. I could stuff the wheel wells well enough, but they are pretty much 'factory drooped' as much as they are going to get. They obviously did droop somewhat, but I had one leg in the air a lot. Look at the first pic in my 'gallery' here on JF. You can see that the left front is not too far from the fender at all. That was the monos.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #10 of 10 Old 01-09-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.