Multiple questions on equipment - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
CWilson0913
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Multiple questions on equipment

I'm new here, and I joined because I've got quite a few questions. First off, I've got a 1992 Jeep Wrangler, black, 120,000 miles on the original 4 cylinder engine. Runs great, manual, and i've fixed it up quite nice, but its just not fixed up enough, (I don't think it ever will be ).

So first off, I was going to put an inline 6 in it, but I think its a little more project than I can handle, and i'm not sure how much i'd end up spending.How much would this project entail?

So, I wanna put some headers on it, but I was told that i'd have to switch my fuel injector rail back to a carberator to put the headers on. True?

Now, I've gotta find some new rims, because at 65 (if the engine can get it going that fast) theres a little wobble in my rear rim because it's bent. AFter that, new tires. And then trade off my hard top and doors for a rag top. I'll be back with more questions but any input is appreciated, thanks.

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the board!

As for the 4 to 6 cylinder swap, I've never done one, so I can't advise you on that, but it seems that many folks here have done it, and I'm sure they'll chime in with some help for you!

As for headers, you do NOT have to swap out the FI to run headers, many people here have them on FI Jeeps, with no problems.

Again, welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quite a few threads on engine swaps and what others have paid. It all really boils down to your ability to do the work yourself and how much you pay for the donor. I'm sure some have done it for just a few hundred bucks and others for well over a grand or two.

I've seen headers for the four banger and have never heard of such a thing as having to switch to a carb (though I love carbs) just to get a header to work. Not saying it isn't true, just that I've never heard of it and quite frankly... it just doesn't make sense for a manufacturer to say "ok guys, here's a header for your four banger but you also need to switch to a cerburetor, sorry".

Dude, in Michigan, we NEED that hard top in the winter! Keep it and just get a soft top. Hard top season is coming fast and you'll have all winter to save for a good Bestop Supertop... I've seen them on our local Detroit area Craigslist for as little as $150 in great shape with all hardware. Or get it new.... Christmas present maybe??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I think I'll keep the YJ. But can I talk you into taking the wife?
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in a (text only)
. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused
to see how I view the forum.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
CWilson0913
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The winters are pretty cold, especially in a soft top, but its nothing a few blankets can't handle. Is carberator better than fuel injected, cause my dad said he had carberator and a manual choke, and he loved it. But my friend told me the carberator and header compatability stuff, so I came here with questions.

And an engine swap for a few hundred bucks? How so?
And can you give me more information on the cheap softtops?

And I have to pay for all this stuff, can you suggest a good brand, relatively cheap brand of headers.

Last edited by CWilson0913; 08-12-2008 at 09:47 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Blankets might help, but man... a hard top is a god-send in February when it is 10 below. Also, though it didn't happen to me, I have seen and heard about the soft top windows becoming too brittle in the cold months we have here and actually cracking. There's more advantages to a hard top than just holding in the heat.
Where are you located? In the Detroit area hard tops in decent condition sell for $300 or less, usually I see them for $150 - $200 on CL and a few weeks ago saw one going for free. It wasn't long ago that I saw a 10 year old Bestop going for $50 (hardware included) that was worn a bit but still kept out the rain, and let's face it, we only want the hardtop up when it's raining, the rest of the time it's top down.
When it comes to soft tops, you get what you pay for. A Bestop will run you around $500 or so, not sure of the exact price, you can check at http://www.quadratec.com/ and see what they have to offer. But I'm sure there are cheaper ones. Just make sure the one you chose comes with hardware.

As for the header - I'll let someone else answer as I have no experience with headers for a four banger.

I like you dad already. I'm a carb guy, love my carb and would not trade it for ANYTHING. to me it is the best way to get your air/fuel mixture into the crankcase. But I'd be a liar if I said it was "better" than FI as far as performance or gas milage is concerned. FI has a carb beat in that department. But like your old man, I have a carb and manual choke and won't change... I'm an old time in that way I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I think I'll keep the YJ. But can I talk you into taking the wife?
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using
in a (text only)
. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused
to see how I view the forum.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
CWilson0913
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Haha, yep, he had an old CJ5 i believe, silver anniversary edition. Say I wanted to change from a fuel injector rail to carberator. What all would I need to change. ( I'm not going to, just a thought)
post #7 of 7 Old 08-13-2008, 05:55 AM
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

One of the best ways to get power from your 2.5 would be with a set of 4:56 gears. Sure you can do a header and keep your efi. You can also install a 4.0 TB for an added bump, just make sure your port the intake manifold to match the TB. MOPAR and Hesco both sell cams for your engine and you can mill the head a little for a compresion bump. I have a buddy who built his jeep 2.5, it runs about as good as a stock 6 cylinder. The 4 cylinder is a good jeep engine over all and will greatly benifit from some steeper gears if nothing else.

1987 wrangler, 258 I-6, 5-speed.
2007 liberty sport 4X4, automatic
2009 ford ranger 4x4 FX4 OFF/ROAD, 5-speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.