mult mods now stuck on 4H..Need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > mult mods now stuck on 4H..Need help!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
erekv2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mult mods now stuck on 4H..Need help!

Hi everyone, I have a situation that I need some help in. I recently did the following MOD to my YJ and now I'm trying to figure out why my Transfer Case will only go to 4H and 4L. I need to get to 2H in order to move around during the weekend.

- Dana 30 swap to 1 with 4.10 gears from a 95 4banger.
- Eliminated the Vacuum Disconnect and went to a 1 pcs shaft from a 95 XJ.
- Added JB SYE to the transfer case
- Plugged the Vacuum hoses that went to the Vacuum disconnect, I left them there. I also left it connected to the T-Case.
- Added a Tom Woods Custom Drive Shaft Double Cardin.
- Swapped in a Ford 8.8 w/4.10 gears to match.

Everything is working as designed except for the fact that I can not get into 2H.

Please help... My guess is that it has something to do with Vacuum Disc or my T-Case and the new SYE?

Thank you.

erekv2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Doesn't sound like anything would keep it in 4H except for the work done to the t-case. You may have to take it back down and make sure everything is ok inside.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think it may be as simple as a linkage adjustment. Check your Chilton's for the procedure.
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Im wondering if your saying its in 4x cuz the front shaft turns to the transfer or the light is on or exactly what tells you that your in 4x. With the 1 pc shaft from the XJ it will turn the front drive shaft even in 2wd.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a body lift, you may not have the room to push the shifter all the way forward to get it into 2H. You may need to trim some metal from where the shifter hits the hump to get it to go far enough.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
erekv2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Great comments guys..thanks..So let me try to clarify and then ask some questions. I am in 4H, How do I know, I lifted my Jeep on a 4's and ran it on e1st gear. All I get is 4H & 4L. I don't have a body lift, I do have a 3.5 Fabtech lift on it. It had a transfer case drop, but do to the addition of the SYE and Custom drive shaft I don't need the drop anymore so everything was moved back up to it original state.

Dadstoy, Do you have any Idea what I would be looking for when I open up the t-case in regards to not going into 2H?

Castr8r, What linkage would you be talking about?

Mark05059, I don't believe that having a 1 pcs shaft will actually cause it to stay in 4H, I think that the transfer case is responsible for that feature. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Please keep the comments coming, Has anyone done the 1pcs shaft change in there YJ and where you able to run it in 2H?

Thanks
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
erekv2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some Pic of the work:

Before:

Unread 08-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

as Castr8r mentioned, check the linkage. he's talking about the linkage that goes from the T-case shifter, back to the T-case.

did you install the T-case drop, or was it put on by a PO? I ask because occasionally with a T-case drop, because the T-case is tilted back, it is necessary to adjust the linkage. With the T-case tilted back, the shifter will hit the back side of the hole in the floor, and won’t go all the way back to 4LO. The solution for this is to adjust the linkage. With the linkage adjusted to work properly with the T-case drop, when the drop is removed, you get the opposite effect, the shifter will then hit the front of the hole in the floor, and won’t go into 2hi.

To remedy the situation, disconnect the linkage, and manually put the T-case into 2hi. Then, make sure the shifter is in the 2hi position, and adjust the linkage to the correct length and reconnect it.
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
erekv2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Muddy93, The transfer case drop was installed by a local shop here in Miami, when I switched from the Puegout transmission to the AX15. Thanks for the advise I will take a look at what you are saying...However, It feels like I'm going into 2H but I don't get anything, I might be wrong. I have never delt with the linkage before so do you know of any links that might have a visual on this. I totally get what you are saying but since every project for me is something new, I always like to have a visual of things. I will also google images to see if anything comes up..
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When you say don't get anything do you mean no wheel spin at all?If so you definitely need a linkage adjustment!

There are alot of different people in the world out of all of them,it's the normal ones that scare me the most!
jaywiz1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

no problem, here's a pic of the linkage,

after looking at the pic again, I realized that it would be tough for the shifter to hit the body(I compleatly forgot about the z-gate part of the handle assembly). however, it is still possible for the linkage to be out of adjustment.
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You say you installed a SYE kit. Did you cut down the shift shaft? Your '87 should have had the longer shaft which needs to be cut down with a SYE install. Otherwise, it will bottom out on the case & prevent shifting into 2HI.

Look at this thread, paying close attention to post #5. I would bet that is where your issue is.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-still-695330/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

he has the deep boss in his sye but max could be right.unhook the linkage and manually shift you tc(with the jeep off) if as far forward as the flat bracket on the TC will go isn't 2wd than max is spot on!If it is 2wd then adjust linkage accordingly.

There are alot of different people in the world out of all of them,it's the normal ones that scare me the most!
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
no problem, here's a pic of the linkage,

after looking at the pic again, I realized that it would be tough for the shifter to hit the body(I compleatly forgot about the z-gate part of the handle assembly). however, it is still possible for the linkage to be out of adjustment.
Z-gate pft whats that?

hahano zgate here!

Unread 08-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywiz1977 View Post
Z-gate pft whats that?

hahano zgate here!
Too funny! I was just reading through your build thread & saw that pic! I love the homebrew linkage arrangement! Ingenious!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.