Muff's YJ Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Muff's YJ Build

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #16
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993BlackYJ View Post
MAN!!!! the salt eats cars up there. I assume thats whats thats from. I never see that kind of rust around here.
Yea its pretty bad.

Well I finished the fuel filter today took a look at the hoses and they looked to be alright to use again so I put new clamps on and hooked it right up and started it up and no leaks!

Also the picture of the repaired frame, I tried to use the same angle the other picture had, I did not take a picture of the underside

Unread 02-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The 4wd vacuum actuator came in today I'm surprised at how fast it was shipped to my house I wasn't expecting it for a few more days and I didn't even select overnight shipping haha. I probably won't install it until this weekend because if anything goes wrong that I can't fix then I won't have a vehicle.

Last edited by muffjeep; 02-23-2010 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: fixing typo
muffjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #18
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well we installed the actuator today and the 4wd works great! here are some pictures

This was the disassembly:

I took a picture of the assembly but it became corrupted for some reason

Here it is assembled on the Jeep:

and the light even works too!!!!

this happened yesterday when i pulled in hopefully this will help prevent this from happening again haha, better tires would probably help too:
Unread 03-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I haven't updated in a while because I haven't really anything major but I have done a few things. Here they are:

First off I took off my chrome grille cover (I think it looks better):

Secondly I installed two brand new sylvania headlights and ever since I had my jeep my drivers side headlight was pointed toward the ground. So I thought when I go to install my headlights I would adjust them. So install the headlights and I go to adjust the drivers side head light and I come to find that its hard to adjust (keeps spinning), so I look under the hood and I notice this:

the previous owner replaced the adjustment screw and clip with a piece of wood and a wood screw! I was able to get it to tighten a bit and its alright for now but I'm going to head down to the parts store to find something better sometime soon.

The next thing I did to my Jeep was finally remove the spare tire from it:

I couldnt remove it before because of the stupid locking lug nut that was on there, I never could find the right size 12 point socket until today:

Unread 03-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

With the spare tire off, I was able to remove the 3rd brake light/tire carrier assembly. I wanted to remove it mainly because the third brake light never worked because of the rotted out connecter which I am having a pain removing

I like the look and feel of no tire carrier on the back of my jeep:

One last thing is I found some rust patches I am going to have to fix up:

More Rust:

Unread 03-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #21
Dewster196
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Muff, Another local Buffalonian here, Good job on your jeep what motor do you have?
Unread 03-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewster196 View Post
Hey Muff, Another local Buffalonian here, Good job on your jeep what motor do you have?
Thanks I got the I6 motor
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #23
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I haven't updated in awhile, sorry about that. A few things have been done to the Jeep since my last post.
These things include: new tires (Wrangler Authoritys 31x10.5), new calipers (old ones started leaking), and I also fixed a few rust holes on the body with some bond. i am currently working on replacing the rusted windshield frame on my jeep, this is how the jeep sits today:

my next goal for the jeep is to get a 2.5 lift because the front is sagging pretty bad. Also I have a question, I was taking the dash apart to access the hinge screws (I am also replacing the windshield hinges) and I must of done something wrong because now my dash lights don't work now. do any of you know what I could of done to break the dash lights?
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #24
RagtagGuy
2005 WK 

I like this... ill be doing most of this to my jeep soon...

Its missing TONS of bolts and parts... the heater doesnt work or turn on even.. wires under the hood are questionable... tons of stuff so far
RagtagGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:57 AM   #25
jeepdriver1973
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check your fuses and any/all connections back there. If the windshield was leaking as you have stated, there are some wires/connectors back there they probably did NOT want to be moved ;-)

BTW - Great thread so far. You are doing a good job - keep it up!
jeepdriver1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #26
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Dash lights are fed with the solid orange wire that you see threaded through the harness. This is fed from the dimmer switch (wheel) next to the HL switch. Not to be confused with the headlight dimmer down under the column.

These dimmers are known to go bad. Fuse #9 just left of the bottom center is a 5 amp. That fuse contrils your dash lights.

Nice to see yoiu approaching the sagging springs the correct way. Replacement rather then rigging.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, I will probably pick up a fuse tomorrow and try it out. hopefully it works, if not I take a look at the wires and take the dash apart further

Well I have progress on the windshield frame, I painted it and it is ready to have the windshield transferred into it. I'll have a picture of it up tomorow.
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #28
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good! BTW, even with the stuff you had t do, that is a great looking Jeep! I have always loved that interior myself.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #29
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Out with the old:

In with the new:

here is the new windshield frame, painted, and new glass in it (old windshield glass cracked during removal). The paint is slightly lighter than the jeeps color but it doesn't bother me (only had enough paint for 1 coat).

Also the hinges came in:

I was wondering ... I want to keep them black but should I repaint them so they don't rust or is the factory paint good enough?

Also I sanded and painted the area under the hinge so it doesn't rust:

I don't have a picture of the green on it yet though. My goal for tomorrow is to get the windshield finished and attached ... the cowl seal from quadratec should be delivered tomorrow
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #30
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdriver1973 View Post
Check your fuses and any/all connections back there. If the windshield was leaking as you have stated, there are some wires/connectors back there they probably did NOT want to be moved ;-)

BTW - Great thread so far. You are doing a good job - keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Dash lights are fed with the solid orange wire that you see threaded through the harness. This is fed from the dimmer switch (wheel) next to the HL switch. Not to be confused with the headlight dimmer down under the column.

These dimmers are known to go bad. Fuse #9 just left of the bottom center is a 5 amp. That fuse contrils your dash lights.

Nice to see yoiu approaching the sagging springs the correct way. Replacement rather then rigging.
I think I found the problem... I checked the fuse and it was good, so then I flipped the dash light switch and wiggled the wire behind the dimmer and they turned on. This is probably the fastest/easiest thing I have fixed on my jeep so far .... but I will probably look at it closer to try and work something out and get a permanent fix ... thanks

Tags
build , jeep , muff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.