Muff's YJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Muff's YJ Build

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Muff's YJ Build

hey everyone, this is how it began when I was 8 or so (now I'm 16) I was at my friends house and I seen his dad's jeep wrangler (I think it was a TJ) and I really liked it and wanted to have one when I could drive. So 8 years later (last summer) I started looking for a jeep on craigslist because I have been saving to buy one cheap as my first vehicle. After a month of searching through craigslist I found what is now my 1995 Jeep Wrangler in August of 09' and thought it would only be right to start a build thread on the work that I did on it and the work I am going to do to it. I am pretty much a beginner when it comes to mechanic ability but I am a very fast learner This will be a slow build as I have a limited cash flow right now and I have no garage to work on it in the cold so some things may take a while.

this is the Jeep when I bought it:

the first thing I did to the jeep was get new hood latches because the one was rotted out and broke off:

the next thing I did was I gave the jeep new spark plugs, this is a picture of one of the old ones that was in it (one of the better ones haha):

then upon inspecting the frame we found this:

luckily my dad's friends a pretty good welder and he was able to fix it up good for us

recently I installed new front brake pads and rotors, and new rear brake drums, shoes, and hardware:

heres a picture of the new driver side rotor:

these pictures are of the old drums (pretty bad ):

and heres a picture of the old brake shoes and hardware:

Other things that were done that arent listed are:
oil change
new stereo
new radiator
new acceleration cable

My plans are to:
put in a new windshield frame (the current one is rusting away and its very leaky)
fix the 4wd (yes I currently own a 2wd jeep ) ...... done
put in 2.5" spring lift
new tires ..... done got wrangler authoritys 31x10.5

Last edited by muffjeep; 07-30-2010 at 08:47 PM..
muffjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
SoonerYJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have the what used to be the twin to that, mine looks noting like that now, I can tell you they are able to look and perform much better for very little $.. I just finished installing TJ flares on mine yesterday, I should have done that as my first mod.

Good luck and have fun..

2011 Flame Red Rubicon (2-Door) with every option.
SoonerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerYJ View Post
I have the what used to be the twin to that, mine looks noting like that now, I can tell you they are able to look and perform much better for very little $.. I just finished installing TJ flares on mine yesterday, I should have done that as my first mod.

Good luck and have fun..
Thanks

At the top of my list of repairs right now is to fix my 4wd because I find it sad that my sisters little stratus is handling the snow better than my jeep.
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

good luck with the build! i dont want to be a smart**s, but i suggest checking out that frame VERY closely, as the pics shown seem make it look in prety bad shape, and i dont want to see a fellow jeeper get hurt. other then that, keep on jeepin! it never ends! nice looking project!

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
1993BlackYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome and Good luck. If you don't mind my asking, what is the price range for a Jeep like that up North?
1971 CJ5 "Dorothy" 225 Dauntless V6
1993 Black YJ 4.0L, 5 speed, Posi-Loc, 35x12.50 MTZ, 4" Skyjacker lift, Ramsey 8500 Winch, OBA, Front Aussie Locked, 8.8 ARB Rear, 4.10s

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 93 Build Thread Over 700pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-1st-jeep-build-1993yj-938195/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 71 "Dorothy" Build Thread Lots of pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1971-cj5-dorothy-1122276/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[B][SIZE="3"]My 53 CJ-3B "Ray" Build[/SIZE][/B]:[SIZE="3"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1953-cj-b3-ray-1268717/#post12217917[/url][/SIZE]]

[B][I]Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior[/I][/B]
1993BlackYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993BlackYJ View Post
Welcome and Good luck. If you don't mind my asking, what is the price range for a Jeep like that up North?
Well I believe I got a good deal on it I paid $1400 for it others like it on craigslist I seen were like around $2000 - $3000
Unread 02-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well today i took off my front axle actuator assembly to find out my actuator needs replacing

so we ordered one off ebay today so it should come sometime this week, we could not find any part stores around that had one in stock or even in there warehouse it was frustrating but at least we found one online. So when its delivered I will post pictures on the installation
Unread 02-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That jeep needs some love
Unread 02-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
CLIMBaMTN
1995 YJ Wrangler 

****, that jeep needs a new frame
CLIMBaMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIMBaMTN View Post
****, that jeep needs a new frame
it was patched up pretty good by my dads friend, tomorrow I will post a current picture of the frame
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hey, not a bad deal on the jeep. needs a lil love

got an pics of the frame repairs? good luck, the rust monster got my gfs yj.
looks like a decent jeep other then that
love the green sahara!

id prolly work on making sure the frame is good to go. my 90 sahara rotted out around the rear shackles.
Elsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #12
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Good job young man. Pay attention to the basic stuff that keeps you safe.

Check the frame with a screwdriver (see it it will poke through) around the steering box and also around the rear shackle mounts. Sounds like your dad`s buddy is being a big help. If you do find rust, search using frame rust or frame repair as your key words to see what other folks have done.

May I make a suggestion ?

Starting with the battery terminals. Clean all the connections. Follow the cables to each end. Just having a shiny connector is not good enough. Make sure the wire itself is clean and bright. Replace any battery cable that even remotely looks corroded. Do each one at the starter, PDC, alt. etc. In fact, unless someone has already replaced them. I`d strongly suggest you replace the cables. They often corrode internally and no amount of cleaning at the ends is going to help.

Pay particular attention to the ground wires down by the oil dipstick. Those 2 connectors/3 wires are your primary grounds for the entire vehicle. Don`t forget to clean the engine block where they mount. In addition you should have a fuel pump ground that is located on the door sill by the emergency brake kever. Clean that puppy up. Remeber a clean wire and terminal is what you want. Make sure you mount back up to a clean connection on the body, frame or sheetmetal.

Your under hood fuse box-Power Distribution Center-PDC that has all the relays and fuses. One at a time. Take each fuse/relay out and clean up the terminals. Clean up the PDC itself. Have your Mom or girlfriend get you a few fingernail files from the beauty shop store. Make sure they are metal files not abrasive boards. Narrow them down a bit and you now have a tool for cleaning the inside terminals in the PDC. Just a few strokes to clean out the gunk. Spray it good with electrical contact cleaner.

Move up to the headlights. See the black wires going to the screws behind/beside the headlights ? Those are your light grounds. Clean them up and replace the junky screws with a good 1/4" nut and bolt with washers on both sides. Scrape the paint off to insure you get good connection.

Don`t forget to use a dab of Die-Electric grease to keep any moisture out/keep the connections clean on each wire throughout the Jeep.

Doing this afternoon project will help to eliminate the MANY, MANY posts this forum gets about electrical problems.

Fluid changes and a good greasing will help a bunch.

Does your Jeep still have the carpet ? You might want to pull it back from around the footwells if the windshield has been leaking. Looking for rust from standing water. Perhaps you can catch it now before it eats the floors. Check around the rollbar mounts on the floor also.

You seem like a pretty smart kid. There is plenty of information tucked away in the archives of this site. Learn to use the SEARCH function and 9 times outta 10. You will find your answer. If not, post away. Good descriptions and pictures help a bunch.

See guys, I can be nice. Start with a good post with decent pictures/descriptions. Show a little effort on your part with a willingness to learn.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
muffjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Good job young man. Pay attention to the basic stuff that keeps you safe.

Check the frame with a screwdriver (see it it will poke through) around the steering box and also around the rear shackle mounts. Sounds like your dad`s buddy is being a big help. If you do find rust, search using frame rust or frame repair as your key words to see what other folks have done.

May I make a suggestion ?

Starting with the battery terminals. Clean all the connections. Follow the cables to each end. Just having a shiny connector is not good enough. Make sure the wire itself is clean and bright. Replace any battery cable that even remotely looks corroded. Do each one at the starter, PDC, alt. etc. In fact, unless someone has already replaced them. I`d strongly suggest you replace the cables. They often corrode internally and no amount of cleaning at the ends is going to help.

Pay particular attention to the ground wires down by the oil dipstick. Those 2 connectors/3 wires are your primary grounds for the entire vehicle. Don`t forget to clean the engine block where they mount. In addition you should have a fuel pump ground that is located on the door sill by the emergency brake kever. Clean that puppy up. Remeber a clean wire and terminal is what you want. Make sure you mount back up to a clean connection on the body, frame or sheetmetal.

Your under hood fuse box-Power Distribution Center-PDC that has all the relays and fuses. One at a time. Take each fuse/relay out and clean up the terminals. Clean up the PDC itself. Have your Mom or girlfriend get you a few fingernail files from the beauty shop store. Make sure they are metal files not abrasive boards. Narrow them down a bit and you now have a tool for cleaning the inside terminals in the PDC. Just a few strokes to clean out the gunk. Spray it good with electrical contact cleaner.

Move up to the headlights. See the black wires going to the screws behind/beside the headlights ? Those are your light grounds. Clean them up and replace the junky screws with a good 1/4" nut and bolt with washers on both sides. Scrape the paint off to insure you get good connection.

Don`t forget to use a dab of Die-Electric grease to keep any moisture out/keep the connections clean on each wire throughout the Jeep.

Doing this afternoon project will help to eliminate the MANY, MANY posts this forum gets about electrical problems.

Fluid changes and a good greasing will help a bunch.

Does your Jeep still have the carpet ? You might want to pull it back from around the footwells if the windshield has been leaking. Looking for rust from standing water. Perhaps you can catch it now before it eats the floors. Check around the rollbar mounts on the floor also.

You seem like a pretty smart kid. There is plenty of information tucked away in the archives of this site. Learn to use the SEARCH function and 9 times outta 10. You will find your answer. If not, post away. Good descriptions and pictures help a bunch.

See guys, I can be nice. Start with a good post with decent pictures/descriptions. Show a little effort on your part with a willingness to learn.
Thanks a lot for that advice, it helps to know that theres people on here that can help me with my project/rust bucket . I went to go change the fuel filter today and half way through changing it I realized I need to get new hoses because it looks like the same fuel filter from 1995 is still on there
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Lot`s of good people on here. You are doing good so far.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
1993BlackYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

MAN!!!! the salt eats cars up there. I assume thats whats thats from. I never see that kind of rust around here.
1971 CJ5 "Dorothy" 225 Dauntless V6
1993 Black YJ 4.0L, 5 speed, Posi-Loc, 35x12.50 MTZ, 4" Skyjacker lift, Ramsey 8500 Winch, OBA, Front Aussie Locked, 8.8 ARB Rear, 4.10s

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 93 Build Thread Over 700pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-1st-jeep-build-1993yj-938195/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 71 "Dorothy" Build Thread Lots of pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1971-cj5-dorothy-1122276/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[B][SIZE="3"]My 53 CJ-3B "Ray" Build[/SIZE][/B]:[SIZE="3"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1953-cj-b3-ray-1268717/#post12217917[/url][/SIZE]]

[B][I]Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior[/I][/B]
1993BlackYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build , jeep , muff

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.