muffler hangers caught fire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > muffler hangers caught fire

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
steveohh22

muffler hangers caught fire

I have a 1991 4.0 that has been a pain in the butt this last month. im a newb to jeeps so please feel free to correct me.with that said as of now my exhaust pipe runs really hot to where the floor board is hot as hell and at one point the rubber hangers holding the muffler caught fire. I had a clogged cat but changed that and the muffler too. after driving 20 miles at 65 got home and the rubber hangers melted off. I was told my jeep was running rich. here's a list of everything I have did to it this month.

changed:
spark plugs
spark plug wires
IAC valve
exhaust manifold(had a crack)
fuel filter
o2 sensor

my problem is that I'm getting 5 to 10 mpg and i can really feel the heat from under wial driving . the thing that throws me off is that it drives great and has power .

steveohh22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

cat converter backed up maybe
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
USAFYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, that sounds like a rough problem. Why not replace the whole exhaust with something more free-flowing while you're down there? Shouldn't be too expensive, you have to replace the hangers anyway, and the cherry on top is the sound.
USAFYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Running rich will kill your new cat converter fast.
You need to find the source of the over rich condition fast.
Almost any engine sensor can cause it to run rich as can a leak in the exhaust before the O2 sensor.
What fuel pressure do you have?

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
steveohh22

well all this happened a little after I purchased a new cat and muffler so the muffler shop would not replace my clogged cat because it was my fault the jeep was running rich. so since I just got it smoged I took the cat off and welded a straight pipe to the muffler. the jeep runs good but there's no back pressure on the tail pipe. today my buddy's coming over with a fuel pressure tester so ill have that figured out today.
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
steveohh22

oh an it still gets really hot underneath but I try not to drive more then a 20 min drive lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.